Online Pass

#11gOwCoD4Posted 5/25/2012 3:48:51 PM
rizzer posted...
online passes have to be reducing the amount of players by hundreds of thousands. basically rentals are out, who wants to a rent a game for 7 bucks then pay 10 to lay online?

i am surprised Microsoft is allowing this, it hurts xbox live

Well, look at it this way

Person A rents a game from the rental store for what, five to eight bucks? Then the person proceeds home to play the game. The person has full access to single player, and limited access to multiplayer, allowing a glimpse at what they would get if they bought the full game or the pass. The person then returns the game and decides if it is worth buying, whether that be used or new, because either way an online pass is purchased

Person B buys the game from the store for fifty to seventy bucks new, or (as time goes on) twenty to forty bucks, goes home and has full access to the single player and multiplayer modes (If used, access to multiplayer after purchase of an online pass), and does not have to piss and moan about it on online forums.

The online pass system simply prevents piracy, and people are not allowed to get butthurt about it. On comparison, people who rent the game and complain about it have no right to do so, since they pay a FRACTION OF THE FULL PRICE TO PLAY THE GAME.

TL;DR - Shut up and buy the full game instead of complaining about online passes, or play your rental without complaining.
#12VeronicasVirusXPosted 5/25/2012 3:50:26 PM
bluedmon posted...
They like it because they get some of the 800point fee. While online comes free with a new copy of the game, used n rental player need to spend the points which pays both ubi n M$.

Yup. What this person says.With online passes, the publishers/developers are able to make profit off the used games.

If someone buys their games used, they don't see any of the money. As much as I love getting cheap used games, it does negatively affect the publishers/developers. I don't think they should get rid of used games though. Keeping the online passes would be fine for me.
#13rizzerPosted 5/25/2012 4:10:55 PM
^^^ yes but MS doesn't profit. In my eyes, it hurts MS, less people playing on live. Renters are people too lol

MS wants more and more people on live. Renters are a part of gaming. Requiring a renter to pay 8 bucks for a few days then asking for another $10 for a online pass, means most do not go online.. again, hurts MS and xbox live IMO
#14rizzerPosted 5/25/2012 5:57:31 PM
gOwCoD4, you have some good points but renters should get a free 48hr trial (like EA used to do) because the flaw in your scenario, is some peope rent to try the MP out and without at least a trial, that is pretty steep to pay rental plus pass... especially since you don't know if you like it yet

and again, my point is simple, MS should not like or allow this. It simply is preventing access to their greatest service. Publishers are getting the cash, and many who are not paying are now not accessing xbox live, that seems to be a negative for MS
#15bluedmonPosted 5/25/2012 7:03:30 PM
rizzer posted...
^^^ yes but MS doesn't profit. In my eyes, it hurts MS, less people playing on live. Renters are people too lol

MS wants more and more people on live. Renters are a part of gaming. Requiring a renter to pay 8 bucks for a few days then asking for another $10 for a online pass, means most do not go online.. again, hurts MS and xbox live IMO

How does it hurt M$? They get there money from the gold sub that you need to buy to play online and they charge companies to allow them to put DLC on the marketplace (online passes are dlc) this means with or without the pass you either have bought the gold membership.
---
There's different kinds of caring. I care enough to be an *** but I don't care enough to consider his opinion valid to influence anyone's opinion - diablo2lod12
#16TSROCKSPosted 5/25/2012 10:22:21 PM
gOwCoD4 posted...
rizzer posted...
online passes have to be reducing the amount of players by hundreds of thousands. basically rentals are out, who wants to a rent a game for 7 bucks then pay 10 to lay online?

Person A rents a game from the rental store for what, five to eight bucks? Then the person proceeds home to play the game. The person has full access to single player, and limited access to multiplayer, allowing a glimpse at what they would get if they bought the full game or the pass. The person then returns the game and decides if it is worth buying, whether that be used or new, because either way an online pass is purchased

Person B buys the game from the store for fifty to seventy bucks new, or (as time goes on) twenty to forty bucks, goes home and has full access to the single player and multiplayer modes (If used, access to multiplayer after purchase of an online pass), and does not have to piss and moan about it on online forums.

The online pass system simply prevents piracy, and people are not allowed to get butthurt about it. On comparison, people who rent the game and complain about it have no right to do so, since they pay a FRACTION OF THE FULL PRICE TO PLAY THE GAME.

TL;DR - Shut up and buy the full game instead of complaining about online passes, or play your rental without complaining.

Jesus Christ renting or buying games used is not piracy.
---
Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Alex898
#17CJProfitPosted 5/25/2012 11:11:37 PM
gOwCoD4 posted...
rizzer posted...

who was complaining about it? Believe it or not, not everyone can afford to just buy a game new every time one comes out. How is renting piracy exactly? Your opinions, while true, are negated when you decide to just act like a rude spoiled brat just because your mom buys you every game that comes out brand new. I just don't get how people can be so high and mighty. Its not like services like gamefly blockbuster and red box don't exist. Is it too much to ask for some sort of trial? I usually buy games new unless I feel like it may not be worth it. How do I determine that? by paying two bucks to rent it from blockbuster. When companies like ea don't even include a trial, I don't buy the game.

Answer this. Why do companies like rock star, epic and bungie refuse to make online passes or trials? Because they know the product is good and everyone knows it. When a game uses a pass with no trial I know the company has no faith that the game is going to sell and be successful. Its why I didn't buy battlefield 3. Before you flame me, I refused to buy the game based on the beta without being able to try it out before to see if the massive problems were fixed. Based on a couple friends problems and the lack of official servers I made the right decision.

"tl;dr" stop acting like you made these games and realize people have their reasons for wanting trials. Online passes are a horrible step for gaming.soon we'll be paying monthly fees besides xbl.
---
"[Insert witty comment I stole from a random thread.]"
X360 GT - YAPAPIEDefMatch
#18rizzerPosted 5/25/2012 11:36:03 PM
bluedmon posted...
rizzer posted...

How does it hurt M$? They get there money from the gold sub that you need to buy to play online and they charge companies to allow them to put DLC on the marketplace (online passes are dlc) this means with or without the pass you either have bought the gold membership.

imo, it still hurts MS... xbox live gold is a subscription service that primarily features online play... you now add in publishers adding extras cost to play online.. this means less people are playing online, this means less people are thrilled about the reason they bought a gold sub in the first place.. i feel this is double dipping and ms is not benefiting IMO. IMO, yes, IMO JUST MY OPINION!

Never said I am right, never said I was complaining... I rarely rent games, I buy what I like and have had a gamefly sub here and there too.. but renting a game and then to play online paying $10 bucks more, when i am unsure in the first place, is lame IMO, yes, IMO.

Chill out all, geez.. I am simply asking why MS likes it... message boards are filled with immature gamers and means it is simply impossible to voice a valid opinion without lamers bagging on you for a different opinion than their own
#19IIFatalshockIIPosted 5/26/2012 12:44:21 AM
rizzer posted...
bluedmon posted...
rizzer posted...

imo, it still hurts MS... xbox live gold is a subscription service that primarily features online play... you now add in publishers adding extras cost to play online.. this means less people are playing online, this means less people are thrilled about the reason they bought a gold sub in the first place.. i feel this is double dipping and ms is not benefiting IMO. IMO, yes, IMO JUST MY OPINION!

Never said I am right, never said I was complaining... I rarely rent games, I buy what I like and have had a gamefly sub here and there too.. but renting a game and then to play online paying $10 bucks more, when i am unsure in the first place, is lame IMO, yes, IMO.

Chill out all, geez.. I am simply asking why MS likes it... message boards are filled with immature gamers and means it is simply impossible to voice a valid opinion without lamers bagging on you for a different opinion than their own

You're the only one taking any real offense dude. People are offering up their own opinions, not saying yours are not valid.
#20x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 5/26/2012 12:51:22 AM
I'm not a supporter of online passes but I do understand why they add them. I buy all my games new so it doesn't hurt me one way or another. I do wish, however, that the online pass only locked competitive multi player and allowed those who rented it to still play online coop since its still story based.