The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Is this game dead?

#1TonkinatorPosted 4/4/2012 9:19:14 PM
Last May when I attended a Best Buy, I saw many fresh new copies of L.A. Noire right out in the open. Best Buy had their own promotion for the game, and from the sleek looks of the title, it looked promising.

As time went on, I realized that many people simply returned the game back to the store. Probably because they were expecting a 'GTA' type experience, only to be met with boredom and frustration.

Just the other day I went to the very same Best Buy, and the only place I could find L.A. Noire was in a little section where they kept the 'used' Xbox 360 games. Only two copies were left.

I also learned that the company behind L.A. Noire closed it's doors last summer, which was for me, a huge disappointment. Unless another company offers to pick up with L.A. Noire left off, it's very unlikely we're going to get a sequel of the game.

It seems that this game has vanished from public view. People were anticipated for it and there were even gameplay videos of the game on Youtube before it's release date. Today, it seems like very few people even care about it, much less talk of it.

Didn't take too long for the hype to die down, did it?
---
SSBB FC: 0647-0297-7253
#2TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 4/5/2012 12:34:49 PM
I'm not sure there was truly any hype for it, only relatively speaking. I was excited at first, but that died down as the years went by.

The game was released during the quiet period of the year, like Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age. Certainly, all of those games are at least good games, but they would not sell as much and get as much hype during competitive times. I imagine publishers see it as the time of the year to release a game with a niche setting, to introduce people to the game they wouldn't normally buy until that awesome advert came on and that magazine banged on about it every month 'cause it was the only game being released that didn't look like a dog.

The end result is that people get hyped up about the one game that's better than average and/or has top production values, because it's been so quiet and the competition is non-existant, so it looks amazing compared to all the off-the-radar releases. These are all forgotten after a year or so.

I don't know if many jumped to the conclusion that it would be GTA in the 40s. A possibility, but no reason to 100% expect that.

The reason why there were so many used copies probably had nothing to do with quality, or even that nobody liked it. It could be that everyone who ever played it liked it, the problem is that it has no replayability.

The guy who headed the development team (if you can even call it that) was the same guy who did The Getaway. In so many ways, this is The Getaway in the 40s rather than GTA. Like The Getaway, there was no reason to continue playing for long after the story, and the painstaking recreation of miles of city was nearly completely wasted time and effort.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEyKFkkcHAc
#3Tonkinator(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2012 12:14:51 AM
I didn't hear anything about L.A. Noire until a few months before release.

There was a Youtube user by the name of TheMediaCows who gained 300K views for one of his gameplay videos on the first day. People who subscribed to those who held free giveaways were expecting the game to be good, only to be met with boredom.

I can probably give a few reasons why L.A. Noire has completely fallen off the charts:

1. The company involved with the production closed it's doors. People probably expected that there wouldn't be a sequel, and even if there were, it wouldn't have the same grip. So, like most gamers would do, they found something better and more satsifying to add to their time.

2. Spread of word came out that it wasn't 'GTA'. I think the Rockstar label simply fooled people, because Rockstar Games is best known for making violent third-person games that depict tough times in an earlier period.

1986 Miami, 1992 Los Angeles,1947 Los Angeles and whatnot. Historically, if you look these dates up on Wikipedia, you see that they actually were times of high tension and high crime.

Not that the timeline matters or anything since I'm one to expect good game play. But in general, a number of people were really mistaken by the Rockstar label. I don't think near as many would of bought L.A. Noire were it not for the label.

Red Dead Redemption was a title very much like GTA in many ways. Many gamers were expecting L.A. Noire to follow suit. They weren't looking for a detective like game, they were looking for another shoot-em-up, such as COD: Modern Warfare 2 and Gears of War.

Were people too stupid to think that LA Noire was going to be like GTA or RDR? Probably not entirely, but again, the Rockstar label being there at all fooled them in thinking they were going to jump face first and shoot people left and right.

3. Lack of re playability. This was probably the biggest reason why L.A. Noire has fallen off the charts.

I think a good adventure game, a good detective game, and a good MMO needs multiple paths. If you keep the storyline linear, it's going to have terrible replay value. This is exactly what L.A. Noire has.

Even if you bomb the interrogation scenes, you'll still follow up to the next case as expected. Your performance doesn't really determine whether you need to repeat a case or get assigned a different mission.

I liked how in many games how my performance determined if I was going to get this mission or the other mission. If you do poorly, the storyline changes, if you are a great success, the storyline changes. L.A. Noire doesn't have this option.

While I think a number of the cases were well put together (with the exception of the interviewing and interrogation scenes), the developers should of implemented workarounds if you bomb the case or get a perfect score. Even then, the setup of the storyline changing depending on the circumstances and the actions has already been repeated a million times in past titles. I think another reason, besides the lack of replay value, that people simply left behind L.A. Noire is because it fails to add anything new and beneficial to the table.

The only thing I found intriguing was the facial animation technology. Cole Phelps looked one step closer to being depicted as an actual human being in an actual film production, despite the fact that he is a fictional character set inside a video game. Other than that, I wasn't too overly impressed with this game.

4. Wasted Space.

Like you said, while the backdrops and scenery of 1940s Los Angeles look nice, the fact that you can't do much of anything besides hunting for movie reels and solving cases hurts this title. It feels in so many ways like a ghost town. There's not a whole lot to do once you've managed to complete all the cases in the game.

Searching for cars? They look nice, but what's the point though? They're just something to waste time with.
---
#4Tonkinator(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2012 12:15:50 AM
Despite everything I said, I had high expectations for this game. I usually wait a good deal before I try any game these days, since I consider the gaming industry to be inching it's way towards marketing, rather than innovation.

Pretty depressing to know that this game was in the top 10, with messages being posted here every few minutes. Now it's like nobody cares, because they know that there's nothing left to expect of this game.

While a lot of professional reviewers gave this game a 8-10 right off the get go, the user made reviews tell a different story. A lot of people really didn't like this game, which probably explains the mass amount of used titles that you see at Best Buy, EB Games and Gamestop.

Now answer me this. Is anybody hoping for a sequel, or are we really just wasting time here?
---
#5TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 4/7/2012 7:00:58 AM
I don't see how not having a sequel would stop someone buying a game. That's just crazy talk.

People would probably like to see a sequel made by Rockstar, but aren't too fussed. For better or worse we've had our 40s era game, and really there isn't any demand to drive around in the 40s anyway. People would much rather see GTA San Andreas HD...I mean GTA V, or a GTA set elsewhere. Like THE FUTURE. With HOVERING CAR TRAFFIC like that bit in Mass Effect 2. It's possible...

This game didn't build a connection, there's nothing awe-inspiring and the characters look really weird, like a face green-screened onto a drawing... which it kinda was. Plus Phelps wasn't likable - he randomly cheated on this wife and interrogated witnesses like he was bi-polar. Hard to make a connection there, so hard to care if they make another L.A. Noire or not.
---
#6Tonkinator(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2012 2:01:02 AM
I didn't say that anybody who wasn't expecting a sequel wasn't going to buy this game.

Read what I'm saying before jumping to conclusions.

I don't think the 'era being bad' is a good argument to use though. Unfortunately, it seems that most kids, specifically this generation, are much more interested in buying games that depict the 2000s as some hi-tech society, despite the fact that such societies are deprived of moral value and instinct.

Games like LA Noire don't come around often. It's the overall execution, however, that made this title get dropped off from public view.

If you really aren't into detective games and that sort of case solving, then why are you here if you're admitting you didn't particularly 'try' to enjoy this game? I tried to like it, it's just sad that it's completely fallen off the radar when I heard it all over the Internet just less than a year ago.
---
#7BodeciaBustPosted 4/8/2012 8:23:32 AM
Tonkinator posted...
I didn't say that anybody who wasn't expecting a sequel wasn't going to buy this game.

Read what I'm saying before jumping to conclusions.

I don't think the 'era being bad' is a good argument to use though. Unfortunately, it seems that most kids, specifically this generation, are much more interested in buying games that depict the 2000s as some hi-tech society, despite the fact that such societies are deprived of moral value and instinct.

Games like LA Noire don't come around often. It's the overall execution, however, that made this title get dropped off from public view.

If you really aren't into detective games and that sort of case solving, then why are you here if you're admitting you didn't particularly 'try' to enjoy this game? I tried to like it, it's just sad that it's completely fallen off the radar when I heard it all over the Internet just less than a year ago.

WTF just happened? Did someone I block post a message? Wait I haven't blocked anyone.

I'M SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW,
---
Made you look.
#8TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 4/10/2012 4:40:18 PM
What the...
---
#9Tonkinator(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2012 11:32:56 PM
I haven't posted on GameFAQs for over a year.

You mean to tell me that you tried to block me a few years back?
---
#10TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 4/14/2012 9:45:05 AM
Tonkinator posted...
I haven't posted on GameFAQs for over a year.

You mean to tell me that you tried to block me a few years back?

...You've got to be kidding me.

Is this guy for real?
---