This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is more important for a bulky Pokemon? HP or Defense and Sp. Def? (EVs)

#1The_Mod_Is_FairPosted 1/25/2011 12:27:43 PM
I'm not really good at deciding EVs by myself unless it's 252-Atk/252-Spd/4-other. But when the EV spread is different, I'm not sure what to do. Could someone please provide a good example of a good EV spread using only Pokemon from 1-493? I'd really appreciate some help.
---

#2LexifoxPosted 1/25/2011 12:30:46 PM
It really depends on the base stats. Some Pokemon benefit more from putting EVs into their defenses (Blissey almost always runs 252 Defense EVs, as an example).
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#3The_Mod_Is_Fair(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2011 12:34:45 PM
Why would anyone put EVs in Blissey's defense? It's already low. Isn't that like putting EVs in Shuckle's attack/speed?
---

#4PheonixFFire7Posted 1/25/2011 12:38:30 PM
It all depends on what hits you're trying to survive. Putting an arbitrary amount of bulk onto a Pokemon isn't really that useful. Think about what threats you intend to use this Pokemon against and what moves you expect to endure and run them through damage calculators. Adjust the EV's to see what combination will mitigate those attacks best, but also take into consideration hazards, healing, and common boosts you're opponent will have through items, boosts, abilities, etc.

Slapping 252/252 on something is only really viable if that Pokemon has no reason to have points in any other stat, or can't afford a single lost point in those particular stats (as with Speed). Anyway, I would post an example, but I don't really pay competitively so I don't know of any off hand.
#5Chaos GenesisPosted 1/25/2011 12:38:35 PM
Blissey can actually survive an unboosted Physical Attack (though I don't know if STAB/super-effectiveness is taken into account) with a Bold nature and DEF EV investment.
---
PKMN HeartGold: 5414-2589-3228 | SSBB: 4253-3152-9910
http://gpxplus.net/user/The+Ghost+of+Starscream/
#6LexifoxPosted 1/25/2011 12:45:00 PM
No one is ever going to try to use Shuckle to outrun anything or attack with intention to deal damage. People WILL try to use Blissey's low Defense to their advantage. Blissey's Defense is poor, but Bold and 252 Def EVs WILL make a considerable difference.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, Blissey has to face off against a Tyranitar. It's a Scarf set with Jolly and 252 Attack EVs. Against a Blissey with a Bold nature and 252 HP/Defense EVs, it takes between 42.6% to 50.1% damage.

Without the Defense EVs, it would take at least 90.3% EVs and a max of 106.4%. You are effectively halving its physical damage.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#7ZingangerPosted 1/25/2011 12:46:19 PM
Blissey's HP is enormous and actually overshadows her low Def stat. When you invest EV's into Def and give Blissey a Bold nature, she can actually take quite a few Physical attacks.

And Blissey greatly appreaciates being able to take Physical attacks instead of switching out. Shuckle never cares to attack for damage.
#8FEYN05Posted 1/25/2011 12:53:05 PM
@the-mod, blissey already has high Special defenses, so even with no EV investment in it, special attackers will still be walled by her. Now with EV investment in defense, she will be able to take physical hits very well. Mines takes EQ's from Mamoswine and such good, with them not even doing half damage because of her high base HP also.

@TC, Anyways, HP is mostly always a good thing to max out so that you can take mote hits. If not, it would be like shuckle, no point in having high defenses if you don't have HP to take those hits and survive. But it also depends on what role you're trying to run, and what pokemon it is.
---
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not" C.J.
Co-Founder of The Fight Club
#9The_Mod_Is_Fair(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2011 1:32:25 PM
Okay, say I wanted to make something like, I don't know, a bulky Gyarados, or a wall- Dusknoir. What would be some good EVs?
---

#10FEYN05Posted 1/25/2011 1:48:42 PM
Before anything, you have to think about natures first.

So for Gyarados, if you want a true bulky defensive one, I'd suggest an impish nature. Max HP and Def out. The moves you put on it depends on what role you want it to play. I like to paralyze and roar pokemon out, especially the ones who have setup already(scizor, lucario, etc). This Gyarados can take Stone Edges like if it's nothing after intimidate.

As for Dusknoir, I'd suggest an Impish nature also. Add wil-o-wisp to it to cripple the opponents physical attackers. Pain split can also help with recovering HP. Max out HP, and put most EV's into Defense as this Dusknoir is your physical counter. The last two most depends on what you want to hit.
---
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not" C.J.
Co-Founder of The Fight Club