This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The one fatal flaw of all pokemon games: save files

#1CptMellowPosted 2/27/2011 7:46:30 PM
First of all, does this game allow more than one save file?

Either way, I'd like to semi-rant about how annoyed I am with how only one save file can be used at a time.

I mean, lets say my little brother wants to play, he has to go buy his own copy of the game, rather than starting another save file, which is possible in almost every single save-able game in the world. Is there a reason for this? Why can't there be two saved games at once?

Many times, after spending 75 hours on one playthrough, I want to start a new game using completely different pokemon. I have plenty of legendaries and high leveled pokemon on my other save file, but I have to lose them forever in order to start a new game (this is excluding the fact that I could transfer it to a different game, such as DPPt or HGSS, which WOULD require me buying a second game anyway).

I find it absurd, and it's one of the only reason I hate the handheld pokemon games. Will they fix this one day?
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Viewtiful_Justin/Understand-Panda.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p11/jrfuentes001/upkick.gif
#2Rasb_BurrisePosted 2/27/2011 7:49:05 PM
The point for single save files is so you can't "clone" Pokemon/items. AKA, you save in both slots, trade some Pokemon you want to clone with a Masterball to a friend, trade back to the other save where you still have said Pogey and Masterball, rinse and repeat.

The only reason.

What Nintendo could and should implement are two independent save files, AKA, you can't save one file over the other. This would curb cloning and younger siblings at the same time.
---
so nanoka~
I get high being nasty.
#3tdabramPosted 2/27/2011 7:49:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4EzraGenesisPosted 2/27/2011 7:49:31 PM
Nope.

And GF do it cuz of DA MONEEEEEE
---
Any Tree Can Drop An Apple
I'll Drop The Freaking Moon
#5WallydraiglePosted 2/27/2011 8:01:29 PM(edited)

First of all, does this game allow more than one save file?

Either way, I'd like to semi-rant about how annoyed I am with how only one save file can be used at a time.

I mean, lets say my little brother wants to play, he has to go buy his own copy of the game, rather than starting another save file, which is possible in almost every single save-able game in the world. Is there a reason for this? Why can't there be two saved games at once?

Many times, after spending 75 hours on one playthrough, I want to start a new game using completely different pokemon. I have plenty of legendaries and high leveled pokemon on my other save file, but I have to lose them forever in order to start a new game (this is excluding the fact that I could transfer it to a different game, such as DPPt or HGSS, which WOULD require me buying a second game anyway).

I find it absurd, and it's one of the only reason I hate the handheld pokemon games. Will they fix this one day?

You just answered your own question. Congrats.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#6wutzgoodPosted 2/27/2011 8:02:15 PM
reading this makes me happy i can back up my save files in these games.
---
"stop whining"
#7abbyhitterPosted 2/27/2011 9:19:25 PM
I have so many level 100s on my fourth gen games. I would love to replay them without losing all my level 100s. I would love to have multiple save files.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#8Sobriquet835Posted 2/27/2011 9:23:42 PM
It's all about money. Of course it is. They could easily make it so that once you've selected a save slot, you can only save in that slot (eliminating duplication via multiple save slots), and so that you can't trade between files on the same game, but they won't, because they would sell fewer copies. Just make sure if you buy black your brother buys white, and vice versa.
---
Pfft, sig.
#9Yamato_sanPosted 2/27/2011 9:55:45 PM
any programming experts out there? I get the impression that saving enough data to hold over 700 unique characters with a complex set of constantly-changing RPG stats in the boxes is quite taxing. However, I also get the feeling that multiple files is very easily doable, especially given that they were able to save games with over 200 unique characters back on the 8-bit Game Boy. Also, while the 4th gen games would specify that they're "saving a lot of data" every time you access the boxes, I noticed that with generation 5, saving goes a lot quicker, even when the boxes are tinkered with. Then of course, there's Pokemon Box: Ruby & Sapphire. That could hold up to 1500 of the little guys.... DS cards nowadays can hold a lot more than a Game Cube memory card from almost a decade ago, can't they? I'd also bring up a point of how the WiiWare Mystery Dungeon games (which STILL have yet to be released stateside, and probably never will be now that generation 5's coming out) allowed multiple files, but as I understand it, you could only get extra files when you downloaded all three versions (or was it the Pokemon storage was limited per each version you had? Either way), though I would be interested to know how many blocks each game's save data took up on the Wii.
#10Skull_proPosted 2/27/2011 10:04:02 PM
Megaman starforce 2 and 3 have separate game files and it's so easy to cheat (trading yourslef, adding yourself to your friend list to power yourself up, etc.)

1 File/ game is enough for me.
---
-NeoArashi, Challenge Taker since november 11th 2006!
www.youtube.com/neoarashi