This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any tricks to get shaking grass/dustclouds/etc to appear more frequently?

#1GenoscoolPosted 8/16/2011 11:12:18 AM
I want to get all the elemental gems. Is the best way to do it to just run around one room in a cave and battle mons, or to enter and exit two rooms in a cave? Or something else?
---
I fashion medals out of melted down pennies and hang one on my monitor for each Internetz victory-xwydrah
#2HomeRowedPosted 8/16/2011 11:13:35 AM
Unfortunately, it's really all up to luck. The best thing to do is use a repel and then bike around until you see a dust cloud. Repeat as necessary.
---
HOME ROWED
gg, tatsu. thx 4 everything
#3Reno_TarshilPosted 8/16/2011 11:25:29 AM
There's an Action Replay Code for it.
---
"Man who stand on toilet, is high on pot."
#4Reno_TarshilPosted 8/16/2011 11:25:58 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5Shadow1975Posted 8/16/2011 11:47:58 AM
Reno_Tarshil posted...
There's an Action Replay Code for it.

Why would you waste time with it? If you have an AR just hack in the pokemon or items you are looking for.
---
Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln
#6KailassaPosted 8/16/2011 11:49:21 AM

Every 20 steps you take, the game rolls a dice to see whether to make a dust-cloud or rustling grass in the area visible on your game at that time. For water spots it's every 21 steps. The best way to stir up rustling grass or water spots is to ride up and down beside the water or grass. The best way to stir up dust clouds is to run in a cavern, (I'm doing that ATM in the Twist mountain one with the ice stone,) using Super Repels. They work out cheapest per step, IIRC.

Early game, while you are still broke, you can do it with repels you get from pick-up, soft resetting until you get what you want.

#7KailassaPosted 8/16/2011 11:56:34 AM

Shadow1975 posted...
Reno_Tarshil posted...

There's an Action Replay Code for it. Why would you waste time with it? If you have an AR just hack in the pokemon or items you are looking for.

Or better still, why not just watch a stupid pokemon movie rather than waste you money buying a pokemon game that you're too lazy to actually play?

Some people enjoy playing the game without cheats.

#8dezmomoPosted 8/16/2011 12:01:22 PM
Kailassa posted...
Every 20 steps you take, the game rolls a dice to see whether to make a dust-cloud or rustling grass in the area visible on your game at that time. For water spots it's every 21 steps. The best way to stir up rustling grass or water spots is to ride up and down beside the water or grass. The best way to stir up dust clouds is to run in a cavern, (I'm doing that ATM in the Twist mountain one with the ice stone,) using Super Repels. They work out cheapest per step, IIRC.Early game, while you are still broke, you can do it with repels you get from pick-up, soft resetting until you get what you want.

... are you sure? When I Audino grind at Giant Chasm, sometimes a shaking grass pops up literally 2-5 steps after I finish the battle.
---
dezmomo || The original one.
Official Squirtle of the Pokemon BW Boards
#9KailassaPosted 8/16/2011 12:35:14 PM

dezmomo posted...
Kailassa posted...
Every 20 steps you take, the game rolls a dice to see whether to make a dust-cloud or rustling grass in the area visible on your game at that time. For water spots it's every 21 steps. The best way to stir up rustling grass or water spots is to ride up and down beside the water or grass. The best way to stir up dust clouds is to run in a cavern, (I'm doing that ATM in the Twist mountain one with the ice stone,) using Super Repels. They work out cheapest per step, IIRC.Early game, while you are still broke, you can do it with repels you get from pick-up, soft resetting until you get what you want.

... are you sure? When I Audino grind at Giant Chasm, sometimes a shaking grass pops up literally 2-5 steps after I finish the battle.
---
dezmomo || The original one.
Official Squirtle of the Pokemon BW Boards

I was simplifying things a bit. It's every 20 or 21 frame advances. One step advances the frame by one. Battling also advances the frame. The passing of frames, in conjunction with other factors, is what determines the "random" events in the game.

#10Genoscool(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2011 3:32:54 PM
Kailassa posted...

Ah, thanks for the reply. For some reason I figured that you had to enter/exit a room or battle to advance the RNG and that walking had no effect. This makes things way easier!

Now, another question: is it best to run around in small rooms or large rooms in caves? With smaller rooms it seems easier to get to the dust cloud once it forms, but larger rooms would be easier to bike in since you don't have to turn so much. How about long, narrow rooms? That seems like the best of both worlds.
---
I fashion medals out of melted down pennies and hang one on my monitor for each Internetz victory-xwydrah