This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ditto breeding question

#14in1Posted 8/28/2011 3:40:47 PM
When inheriting stats, what gender is the Ditto parent considered as? Is Ditto's gender opposite that of the other parent, or is Ditto's gender always one thing and the other parent's always the other, regardless of actual gender?
---
Pokemon White FC: 4040 7690 3926
#2HomeRowedPosted 8/28/2011 3:48:04 PM
Ditto is considered to be the opposite gender of the other parent. If it's breeding with a genderless Pokemon, the genderless one is "male" and the Ditto is "female."
---
HOME ROWED
crayon soda
#34in1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2011 3:52:36 PM
Thank you!
---
Pokemon White FC: 4040 7690 3926
#4BlueRunway05Posted 8/28/2011 3:52:52 PM
homerowed posted...
Ditto is considered to be the opposite gender of the other parent. If it's breeding with a genderless Pokemon, the genderless one is "male" and the Ditto is "female."

It'll act as a male or a female. It'll work if you're breeding Metagross, Claydol, and others if you what I mean.
---
Just make it good and unique. Pkmn (Spooky) FC's in profile.
#5HomeRowedPosted 8/28/2011 4:02:22 PM
I don't know what you mean by that.

IVs are inherited depending on the gender of the parents in the 5th gen games. So, the game treats Ditto as the "female" and the other, genderless Pokemon as a "male", even though neither of them actually have genders.

You can see that the genderless Pokemon are considered "male" because they will still pass down TM and HM moves to the offspring. Females can't do that.
---
HOME ROWED
unicorns and glitter!
#6Chaos GenesisPosted 8/28/2011 4:07:05 PM(edited)
BlueRunway05 posted...
homerowed posted...

It'll act as a male or a female. It'll work if you're breeding Metagross, Claydol, and others if you what I mean.

Yes, but he's talking about "assigning" a gender for breeding purposes. I believe a genderless Pokemon that knows an HM/TM move will pass it on to its offspring because it acts as a "male" in this case. To my knowledge, that's the only case where assigning a gender to the genderless partner of Ditto matters (IVs are passed at random, Natures can be passed from males, females, and Ditto, and Hidden Abilities cannot be passed down if the Pokemon is breeding with Ditto anyways).

EDIT: Wait up...

homerowed posted...
IVs are inherited depending on the gender of the parents in the 5th gen games. So, the game treats Ditto as the "female" and the other, genderless Pokemon as a "male", even though neither of them actually have genders.

Really? Can you link me to a page detailing how that works?
---
PKMN HeartGold: 5414-2589-3228 | SSBB: 4253-3152-9910
http://gpxplus.net/user/The+Ghost+of+Starscream/
#7HomeRowedPosted 8/28/2011 4:15:39 PM
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3670200&postcount=3

In the breeding information section.

There may have been a more detailed post about it somewhere, but I can't really look around right now.
---
HOME ROWED
if you're a small child, get an adult's help