This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Most effective Triple Battle strategies

#1crescent333Posted 1/12/2012 3:15:42 AM
As someone who enjoys triple battles way more than singles or double, I wanted to make a topic that compiles some of the most effective / interesting strategies. Iíve seen a couple other topics on this, but they were full of obvious stuff like "combine Earthquake and Levitate!" Also I feel like there was a guide on Smogon for this, but I could only find rotation battle. Anyway here is my list of effective attacks / pokemon to consider when building a triple team.

ATTACKS:

--Destroy Everyone Moves--
Almost all of the most effective teams Iíve seen use a Pokemon with an attack that hits all of its foes at once. The best ones are Water Spout, Eruption, Explosion, Earthquake, Rockslide, and to a lesser extent Discharge. The first three should usually be accompanied by the appropriate type boosting gem, where the last three need to be combined with appropriate abilities to be effective enough.

Water Spout and Eruption are usually paired with Sunny Day or Rain Dance, which is given by Politoed, Ninetales, or a Pokemon with Prankster. Also, to prevent the Pokemon from taking damage before attacking, it is usually paired with Anger Powder, Follow Me, or Tailwind, or Trick Room in the case of Jellicent or Camerupt.

With a normal gem, Explosion does okay on its own as long as itís paired with Protect users, Wide guard users, Ghosts, or Telepathy users. Same goes for Earthquake with a ground gem and Flyers/Levitators. These moves are usually not AS effective at wiping everything out though.

As a ďdestroy everyone move,Ē Rockslide is almost always given to Terrakion, who combines Justified and a Beat-Up from Weavile to max out its attack.

Iíve seen Discharge being used pretty successfully with an Electrive and Jolteon on either side who get stat or health boosts. Also, assuming it hitís all of your opponents, there is a 90% chance that at least one of them will end up paralyzed (I really hope Iím using my math logic correctly hereÖ but seriously, someone almost always ends up paralyzed). Surf can also be used with abilities like Water Absorb, Dry Skin, or Storm drain, but itís usually not enough to set up for a sure-win unless you get lucky with your foeís typing.
---
White FC: 4899 1404 0580
#2crescent333(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2012 3:17:02 AM
--Stopping Attacks--
I think itís safe to say that Wide Guard, or if not that at least Protect, is used on all of the most successful teams. Even more so that double battles, you need someone with Wide Guard to deal with all those multiple hit opponents. If Wide Guard just doesnít fit, pretty much the only alternative I can think of is Protecting with two of your Pokemon and then using Tailwind with and sacrificing your Whimsicott, hoping that the other guy isnít packing a Tailwind or Trick Room.

Feint is also a great move to have, and I saw this guy on wifi with something like 2,000 wins combine it with the Terrakion + Beat Up + Rockslide combo to take down my Wide Guard. If anyone knows how to beat this.. (without having to make a whole team designed to just deal with Rock Slide), please let me know.

--Trick Room--
Definitely seen lots of really tough Trick Room teams. Itís usually paired with Anger Powder, Follow Me and/or Fake Out, but just putting it on a really bulky Pokemon like Bronzong, Dusclops+Eviolite, Dusknoir, Porygon2+Eviolite, Reuniclus or Cofagrigus sometimes works too.

When I ran Trick Room teams, the main threats were teams with
A) Their own Trick Room user with Imprison
B) Encore, although this was less effective...

MOST COMMON POKEMON: KEY MOVES/ABILITIES

Weavile: Fake Out, Beat Up, Feint
Terrakion: Rock Slide, Protect
Mienshao: Fake Out, Wide Guard, Feint, U-Turn
Typhlosion: Erruption
Blastoise: Water Spout
Politoed: Drizzle
Ninetales: Drought
Whimsicott: (Prankster) Sunny Day, Encore, Taunt, Trick Room, Tailwind, Beat-Up
Thundurus: (Prankster) Rain Dance, Taunt.
Machamp: (No Guard) Dynamic Punch, Wide Guard
Conkeldurr: Wide Guard, Mach Punch
Tyranitar: I donít understand why sand teams are so threatening, but everyone uses him and I never have a problem taking it down..
Garchomp: See above
Kingdra: Swift Swim, Dragon Pulse (to hit non-adjacent enemies)
Amoongus: Anger Powder, Spore

..Please let me know if you've come across any obscure and effective strategies!! Personally right now I like the Lapras Icy wind plus Blastoise's protect and Water Spout combo!
---
#3tadashii18Posted 1/12/2012 5:09:56 AM
I've seen a really good one the other day. I was playing a random online match and the other guy had a Tornados, Terrakion and Weavile. First his Tornados used Tailwind to up his team's speed, then Weavile used Beat-Up, which hit 6 times, on his Terrakion which made his attack go up 6 stages becuase of his ability. Then Terrakion used Rock Slide and just killed off my whole team :/
---
Pokemon White FC - 0948 6214 9883
#4Asynch_Posted 1/12/2012 6:29:34 AM(edited)
crescent333 posted...
Also, assuming it hitís all of your opponents, there is a 90% chance that at least one of them will end up paralyzed (I really hope Iím using my math logic correctly hereÖ but seriously, someone almost always ends up paralyzed)..

If I remember my Year 12 probability correctly, with 3 opponents and a 0.3 chance of paralysis, the probability of one opponent being paralyzed is 0.441, or 44.1%, and the probability of getting a paralysis (either 1, 2 or all 3 opponents being paralyzed) is 65.7%.
---
FC: 5156 2394 2048
#5crescent333(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2012 6:36:52 PM
Asynch_ posted...

If I remember my Year 12 probability correctly, with 3 opponents and a 0.3 chance of paralysis, the probability of one opponent being paralyzed is 0.441, or 44.1%, and the probability of getting a paralysis (either 1, 2 or all 3 opponents being paralyzed) is 65.7%.

Ah thanks! I had a feeling I was doing something wrong..

tadashii18 posted...
I've seen a really good one the other day. I was playing a random online match and the other guy had a Tornados, Terrakion and Weavile. First his Tornados used Tailwind to up his team's speed, then Weavile used Beat-Up, which hit 6 times, on his Terrakion which made his attack go up 6 stages becuase of his ability. Then Terrakion used Rock Slide and just killed off my whole team :/

Yeah, I always see that, it's such a pain to counter! Especially if their Weavile has Feint. I guess the only real way to counter this is to set up a trick room or your own tailwind.
---