This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about the rules of a Nuzlocke playthrough (regarding HM's)

#1CalwynPosted 1/25/2012 12:42:28 PM
What would you do if you reach a point in the game when you need an HM move but none of the Pokemon you've caught under Nuzlocke rules can learn that move? Or what about if the only Pokemon you've caught that can learn it has already "died" earlier in the run?

I know this doesn't really apply to Black/White (since HM's are so rarely used in the main story), but I was thinking of doing a Nuzlocke run of Emerald and I thought for a while that I would be almost forced to start with Mudkip because of the off-chance that I don't catch any Water-types before I need Surf. Should a case like this happen, would I just catch a random Pokemon and only use it for HM moves?
---
http://oi44.tinypic.com/1h8901.gif
http://i46.tinypic.com/2exm2xd.jpg
#2Fullmetal_77Posted 1/25/2012 12:48:42 PM
The rules of a Nuzlocke run (outside of one Pokemon per route, and mandatory nicknames) are entirely based on what the person doing the run wants. If you want to add in the rule that you can catch something solely for a required HM if you don't have anything else for it, you can.
---
Pokemon White FC: 1549-4524-4165
#3PirateKingflclPosted 1/25/2012 12:50:39 PM
I'm not sure how people would do it nowadays; but back in the day, when people were doing Nuzlockes for the challenge, cases like this would mean that you lost.

Game over, man.
Game over.
---
Violence solves everything. If you have a problem that can't be solved with violence, you aren't using enough of it.
#4Calwyn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2012 1:02:54 PM
Thanks for the quick answers. Since it's my first Nuzlocke run, I think if this happens I'll just catch an HM slave and continue on. But I do have a couple more things that could possibly happen and what you guys would normally allow for yourselves in such a run:

1) What's the policy on in-game trades? If one of the Pokemon you catch under Nuzlocke rules can be used for an in-game trade (like the Slakoth for Makuhita trade early in R/S) to get a different Pokemon, would that normally be allowed?
2) Since I'm playing Emerald, if my Nuzlocking travels happen to land me both a Wailord and a Relicanth, would that permit me to unlock the caves and go for the three Regi?

I'm just looking for what most Nuzlocke players would use or disallow in such runs. I know it's eventually up to me, but I want to stick as close to the rules as possible for my first run.
---
http://oi44.tinypic.com/1h8901.gif
http://i46.tinypic.com/2exm2xd.jpg
#5Oron999Posted 1/25/2012 1:54:06 PM
When I've taken shots at them, I try to avoid catching dudes if I don't have to, but I'll catch new guys if I have to. Losing for forever isn't fun. It's a silly concept just like lives are a silly concept.
---
Now you're the only one here/ who can tell me if it's true/
That you love me/ and I love me.
#6wind_adept_codyPosted 1/25/2012 2:16:38 PM
ill post my 10 rules me and my friends use if that helps you.
1)If a pokemon faints, its considered "dead" and must be released.
2)only the first pokemon per area can be caught. If it runs away, sucks for you.
3)battle mode is changed to "set" so you cant switch inbetween opponents pokemon.
4)all pokemon must be nicknamed.
5)pokemon breeder is not allowed.
6)audino may not be killed.
7)you cant "reset" your game. if you fail to catch a pokemon/a pokemon faints, you man up to it.
8)HMs may only used on caught pokemon. game over if you dont have one.
9)drilbur/excadrill is banned.
10)once you beat the game, all nuzlockers must fight eachother for the title of "king of nuzlock"
---
Do a bibarel roll!!!!!!
#7Defender31415Posted 1/25/2012 2:48:47 PM
Fullmetal_77 posted...
The rules of a Nuzlocke run (outside of one Pokemon per route, and mandatory nicknames) are entirely based on what the person doing the run wants. If you want to add in the rule that you can catch something solely for a required HM if you don't have anything else for it, you can.

Also, if a PKMN faints, it's dead and must be put in a grave box. Dead= can no longer be used, EVER.
---
--- "Legends are normal people who fought for what was right and are now viewed as heroes. Whether you know it or not, you're among them." Lance
#8IhasnoNamePosted 1/25/2012 4:37:13 PM
Zigzagoon can learn surf, suprisingly. surf is nothing to worry about, and once you get to mosdeep city, you can get the super rod and fish in one of the routes for a sharpedo, which can learn dive, surf, waterfall and rock smash.