This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did they ban Excadrill and Thundurus?

#1SpiegaPosted 4/9/2012 5:22:57 AM
To my knowledge, Excadrill can be shut down entirely by Gliscor, Skarmory, Bronzong, and a bunch of other things. I can see why Thundurus might be a bit harder to deal with, but Quagsire, Gastrodon and Swampert can take him out. You can also beat him with a decent choice scarf user. So why are these Pokemon on the ban list? I don't disagree with their placement, but I would just like to know the reason for my own understanding.
#2PearlshipperluvPosted 4/9/2012 5:45:18 AM
With Excadrill its mainly because of Sand Rush. In a Sand Storm Excadrill's Speed can reach almost or over 600 depending on its Nature. And with Access to Swords Dance to achieve Attack Power of over 700 it becomes almost impossible to find anything to counter it. Its moveset gives it coverage against anything that can provide a counter to it and it doesn't help that it has a 4x SR resistance and an immunity to T-Wave and Toxic. The best way to deal with it is to either revenge it or just change the weather to force a switch.

Thundurus was banned because of the combo of Prankster and T-Wave.
---
Someone grab some BBQ sauce, let's throw another Skitty on the grill.
Official Phanpy of the Pokemon B2/W2 boards
#3Catcher_FreemanPosted 4/9/2012 5:45:25 AM
They overcentralized the game.
---
Swagodile's alt.
#4RTC3Posted 4/9/2012 5:46:40 AM
"omg guys i cant beat this baN BAN BAN"

in conclusion smogon are the devil
---
RTC3, yeah, you're God. ~Chaet_legend
Mavs. CLUTCHvitzki, Jason MANN, The Odominatrix. we already won.
#5BlackFeathersPosted 4/9/2012 5:54:34 AM
I just think that half the things that are are very beatable. The first time I went against thundurus I killed him with a stone edge. So easy...
---
POKEMON BLACK FC - 0261 5578 5463 - Seraph
#6RippleLaserPosted 4/9/2012 6:14:38 AM
RTC3 posted...
"omg guys i cant beat this baN BAN BAN"

in conclusion smogon are the devil

More like a couple thousands of 'I's spanning over 3 months with tens of thousands of matches to back up this claim.
What about you? Any evidences to prove your point?
#7zeroexev29Posted 4/9/2012 6:14:43 AM

I just think that half the things that are are very beatable. The first time I went against thundurus I killed him with a stone edge. So easy...

Well, people shouldn't have to make teams that that basically require a counter to Excadrill.

Either way, OU is still laughable, and weather teams are even moreso.
---
I know what you're thinking, and you're probably right. Unless you're wrong, then you're probably wrong.
#8Spiega(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2012 6:26:24 AM
Pearlshipperluv posted...
With Excadrill its mainly because of Sand Rush. In a Sand Storm Excadrill's Speed can reach almost or over 600 depending on its Nature. And with Access to Swords Dance to achieve Attack Power of over 700 it becomes almost impossible to find anything to counter it. Its moveset gives it coverage against anything that can provide a counter to it and it doesn't help that it has a 4x SR resistance and an immunity to T-Wave and Toxic. The best way to deal with it is to either revenge it or just change the weather to force a switch.

Thundurus was banned because of the combo of Prankster and T-Wave.

Hmm, I see. I always though Excadrill had a very shallow move pool though, and his inability to use special attacks effectively hurt his chances of beating physical walls that take little or no damage from ground type moves.

As for Thundurus, for some reason, that sounds like a dumb reason to ban something. Wouldn't that mean Whimsicott is also bannable for the same reason?
#9RippleLaserPosted 4/9/2012 6:29:46 AM
Thunderus can kill, whimsicott can tickle
#10Oblivion_HeroPosted 4/9/2012 6:52:48 AM
Excadrill does have a limited movepool. But it's like Garchomp in that it doesn't need many options to devastate you. If sand rush is activated, it takes a choice scarf base 140 speed pokemon to outrun it directly. It is actually bulky enough so it needs prior damage to get killed by any priority including iirc CB Azunmarill aqua jet and guts Conk el Durr mach punch. Gliscor and Skarmory are the only things that could actually wall it to some degree once it got in a swords dance, which makes it very easy for it to run train.
---
You can't call him out for being wrong when he never intended to be right - Stephen Colbert