This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I a nerd? o.O (Long opening topic)

#1Foril89Posted 6/20/2012 1:58:52 AM
Okay so the last Pokemon I played was Firered for GBA and loved it though was still rather young and basically just made my selection of Pokemon based on what Pokemon looked extreme in my eyes but tried to collect diffrent elements to gain advantage over certain trainers with only one ele pokemon. Did the gyms, finished the story, beat the elite five and beat the champion and that was it, 40 hours and I was done.

Now,

I recently bought the 3DS and the first game I bought was Pokemon black but having had many diffrent expierences with diffrent games and taking into account my particular nature in squeezing every second of game play out of a game I found my game play has changed a lot. First thing I decdided was that I want an army of the strongest pokemon but status wise. So Def was my number one priority but if the pokemons attack was too low I'd switch it with another pokemon with maybe a little lower def but higher atk. Each time my strongest pokemon levels I make a note of his current stats (will explain just now why). I also noted that two of the same pokemon at the same level can have diffrent stats meaning it is randomized. So (and here is where the "am I a nerd" question counts) everytime I enter an area with new pokemon I catch 4 ofof every pokemon in that area, then I go to "Someone PC" and compare the stats of those pokemon to my what I have made notes of what my strongest pokemon was on that level. If that level 7 Pokemon has higher stats than what my strongest pokemon had at level 7 then ill level him first to catch up, if not, ill abandon 3 of the 4 I cought and keep the strongest of them as part of my collection.

I am on route 2 and have already managed 5 hours, I decided that all my pokemon will have 1 attack with ?/5 PP cost, 1 attack with ?/10-15 PP cost, 1 attack with ?/20+ PP cost and 1 status change attack to lower def or whatever.

I sat back after playing for 5 hours and looked at how I am playing the game and though having fun I could not help but wander, AM I A NERD????
#2shadowreaper7Posted 6/20/2012 2:08:45 AM
Erm. To be put bluntly, being a nerd is entirely subjective, some will think you are some will think you aren't.
The way you are going about playing is just trying to maximise how many hours you can get out of the game.
Competetivly, its not the best way to go about anything. But there again you never said about entering competetive battling.

So in short, you are whatever you think you are. And to others, you are whatever they think you are.

And if playing it that way classifies you as a nerd, i could not imagine what people would think of IV trainers and those that Ev train the correct natured pokemon.

But erm... yeah... Thats sort of all i can think to write.
---
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out!
Don't Fear the Reaper
#3coreekymonPosted 6/20/2012 2:14:16 AM
First off elite 5? Lol

Second, Those randomized stats are what we call natures, IVs and EVs and for anyone playing competitively they are a big deal.

Third, Why plan your attacks based on PP? that isn't really a good idea.

Fourth, No I wouldn't necessarily say you are a nerd, but you are wasting a lot of time. Getting great EV, IV and nature pokemon is only really essential to competitive battling and if that is what you are interested in then there are much better ways to go about it.

Honestly from the view of a competitive player it sounds like you have no Idea what you are doing, which is fine if you just want to play pokemon for fun and don't plan on playing competitively. But if you are interested in competitive play take a look at my blog in my sig to get all the basics.
---
Please check out my blog/guide to competitive pokemon at pkmntrainercory.blogspot.com
#4Foril89(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 2:56:11 AM
coreekymon posted...
First off elite 5? Lol

Second, Those randomized stats are what we call natures, IVs and EVs and for anyone playing competitively they are a big deal.

Third, Why plan your attacks based on PP? that isn't really a good idea.

Fourth, No I wouldn't necessarily say you are a nerd, but you are wasting a lot of time. Getting great EV, IV and nature pokemon is only really essential to competitive battling and if that is what you are interested in then there are much better ways to go about it.

Honestly from the view of a competitive player it sounds like you have no Idea what you are doing, which is fine if you just want to play pokemon for fun and don't plan on playing competitively. But if you are interested in competitive play take a look at my blog in my sig to get all the basics.

Like I said, I have not played for many years so Nature, EVs, IV, ETs are all foreign to me and you are never waisting time if you are having fun.

As for playing competitive, I didn't even know there were Pokemon Comps but after playing WOW for as long as I have I am really in the mood for something chilled like pokemon.

I Naturally assumed that the less PP an attack has the more power it has, suppose you are right there but would have discovered that flaw soon enough after all, only been playing for 5 hours.

I prob won't go competitve but will check your blog anyways out of intresr :) thanks
#5RX0megaPosted 6/20/2012 3:24:20 AM
Goggle Pokemon Online. Competitive Pokemon is where it gets nerdy.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon White 2 board
#6Foril89(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 4:21:01 AM
Avtually, this pretty much answered my question :P

http://gamefaqs.com/boards/989552-pokemon-black-version/63063124
#7Biggie36Posted 6/24/2012 9:50:10 AM
Yes
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#813121987Posted 6/24/2012 10:03:56 AM
You are not nerdy, you have OCD.

It's a serious mental problem where you have to perform certain ritual correctly in order to be satisfied.

They don't actually enjoy doing what they do, but they still do it in order to feel satisfaction.