This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a reason we can't transfer pokemon that know HM moves?

#11ffdghPosted 9/15/2010 12:32:55 AM
lol now that i think about it, transferring would cause serious plot bending XD
---
Official Ventus Luck Charm of the Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Boards XD
Memories are Pearls. Friendship is a Diamond..=')lol
#12jayman7Posted 9/15/2010 12:33:46 AM
how can one get stuck.......if the hm is always avalable?

What if you never picked the HM up and you're just using a Pokemon that you traded in that happens to know the move?

(I don't see how it would be a problem to the RECEIVING game, as some have guessed, as I doubt you'll be able to transfer until post-E4.)

Though hopefully any non-returning HMs that are actually useful... which is pretty much limited to Dive, since Surf and Waterfall are probably going to be HMs again, but hey, I could be wrong, who knows?... will become TMs this time around.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"Game Series 1 is the best because it set the stage for better games!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#13jayman7Posted 9/15/2010 12:35:49 AM
Okay. Say for example you never pick up a Fishing Rod and you surf out to an island and save. You have no Pokemon who can Fly or Teleport and only the Pokemon you used to surf to the island can learn Surf. You then transfer the Pokemon you used to surf to the island to your Gen V game. You're now stuck and that isn't that hard to do.

On the other hand, I doubt this one would be a problem, as the third-to-fourth gen transfers didn't allow you to transfer anything in the active party. Though, again, could be wrong.

Actually, it is a good question. The game doesn't stop you from TRADING any Pokemon that know an HM move, and if you're not at a Pokemon Center, TAKING them from the PC shouldn't be a problem. But maybe it's the whole "can't transfer back" thing...
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"Game Series 1 is the best because it set the stage for better games!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#14ffdghPosted 9/15/2010 12:36:12 AM
heh i realized the issues after i gave some thought to it =p
---
Official Ventus Luck Charm of the Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Boards XD
Memories are Pearls. Friendship is a Diamond..=')
#15WingsGluedOnPosted 9/15/2010 1:16:04 AM
I always thought it was obvious why you couldn't transfer HM pokemon. If you trade your only surfable Pokemon away and you were on an island.. then what? Restart game?
---
http://i42.tinypic.com/seyn1z.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/rhikpt.jpg
#16ksemanrPosted 9/15/2010 1:21:50 AM
Same reason you can't Pal-Park Pokemon with HM moves, trade your last Pokemon that has a certain HM move, delete an HM move without a move deleter, etc.
#17Relic_RaiderPosted 9/15/2010 1:29:27 AM
Okay. Say for example you never pick up a Fishing Rod and you surf out to an island and save. You have no Pokemon who can Fly or Teleport and only the Pokemon you used to surf to the island can learn Surf. You then transfer the Pokemon you used to surf to the island to your Gen V game. You're now stuck and that isn't that hard to do.

One can do this in Platinum. By trading a finneon with magikarp
---
Official NOOB of the B/W Boards
Friend Codes in quote XD
#18AlphrinPosted 9/16/2010 10:05:25 PM
The whole "You'll get stuck" excuse makes no sense, for several reasons.

1. You can't transfer pokemon that are in your party. You need to have a pokemon in your active party to use its HM moves in the first place.

2. Even if you could transfer party pokemon, they'd only need to stop you from transferring the ver LAST pokemon you have with a particular HM. Similar to how they only stop you from releasing your last surfer. They don't stop you from deleting EVERY surfer you have, just your last one.

3. You can trade pokemon that know HMs. This, actually, does allow you to get stuck since you can trade pokemon that are in your active party. Seems weird that GF would put an unnecessary restriction on transferring, but then refrain from putting the same restriction on trading, where it would actually have a purpose.

---
I've decided not to have a signature.