This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What does a Macho Brace do, exactly?

#1CryaoticPosted 11/27/2010 6:09:36 PM
I've googled it and I am not exactly sure what it truly does. Something about EV points or something to that effect?

I haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue and Yellow days, so I am kind of out of the loop.

Could anyone by chance explain?

Cheers!
#2SilentWandererPosted 11/27/2010 6:12:48 PM
Like you said, it has something to do with EVs, it doubles them to be exact. See, everytime you faint a Pokemon, you get EVs. Each Pokemon can get a max of 510 EVs. It's kind of complicated, so I would read the EV guide on the Diamond Board but the gist of EVs is that it makes your Pokemon stronger through a specialized training than basic training.
---
---[insert signature here]---
...Official Nuzleaf of the B/W boards
#3Zarren364Posted 11/27/2010 6:18:34 PM
EVs are a point system that helps increase the stats of you Pokemon at level 100. Each time you defeat a Pokemon, you get an EV in one or more stat. For every 4 EVs in a particular stat, you will raise that stat by 1 at level 100.

Say you have two identical Charizards, and you raise one to level 100, and it has a speed stat of 250. Then you take the other Charizard, and EV train it against Magikarps (yes, there are in fact useful here), and get it the maximum 252 in Speed EVs. Now when you raise it to level 100, it will have a speed stat of 313.

This can be a bit difficult to understand in the beginning, but after you get the basics down, it just takes time to EV train your pokemon.

---
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII Oh! The shame, the humility, what a wicked gang are we!
Not changing this sig until Si comes back B/W forums 9/3/10
#4Cryaotic(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2010 6:20:48 PM
I had no idea Pokemon suddenly got so complicated.

I used to think I was smart by knowing that Ground was immune to Electric type attacks, too!

Thanks for the help, guys. Now I'm not so clueless anymore. :]
#5Zarren364Posted 11/27/2010 6:25:48 PM
Here is a useful link for in the future, if you wish to know more about this stuff.

http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

---
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII Oh! The shame, the humility, what a wicked gang are we!
#6NonProfitParrotPosted 11/27/2010 6:41:38 PM
Actually, EVs and IVs where both around since the very first generation of games. You just didn't know about them.
---
Give a hoot, Don't pollute.
#7pokedude900Posted 11/27/2010 6:42:53 PM
Actually, EVs and IVs where both around since the very first generation of games. You just didn't know about them.

But IVs only went from 0 to 15, and EVs were completely different.
---
"Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"-Albert Einstein; see my quote for discussion of both
#8Zarren364Posted 11/27/2010 6:43:19 PM
Yeah, but they've been revamped, and become a lot less complicated.

---
#9MasterOtenkoPosted 11/27/2010 8:27:51 PM
Say what you will about Smogon, but I think it easily has one of the best EV guides.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual
---
What are you talking about? It says Atlus right in the corner. - megamaster125 on Atlus "making" Rondo of Swords
(Pokemon FCs in quote)
#10BassGSXPosted 11/27/2010 8:32:56 PM
It's easier experienced than explained. Most of Pokemon's intricate mechanics are hidden, as they're not about making the game directly complicated to understand for their younger demographics, so they make a large influential bulk of the enhancement system hidden.