This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The one fatal flaw of all pokemon games: save files

#11serenade_betaPosted 2/27/2011 9:06:25 PM
1 is enough. If you want more, go buy another copy. Go and support the companies making the game you plan. There are already enough pirates out there stealing from them.
#12jEr3mYPosted 2/27/2011 9:08:15 PM
One save file means more money for Nintendo/GameFreak.

If Nintendo were to have more than one save file, they would lose money, not only on the games but also the DS's them self.. cos then you wouldn't need to go buy the extra stuff to trade.. It's all money.
---
I have a pair of Converse shoes that look like Meguroko/Swagodile
http://i27.tinypic.com/11imjyx.jpg
#13ljobenzaPosted 2/27/2011 9:49:14 PM
Even NES games had multiple save slots.
#14GoldenFantasyPosted 2/27/2011 10:03:11 PM
Are there any nes Gamefreak titles? No?
---
Braviary is the brother-Pokemon to Fearow - Materious17
#15iGenesisPosted 2/27/2011 10:10:35 PM(edited)
Each save file is only 256KB. With a lot of byte padding. In Diamond/Pearl each Pokemon required 100-something bytes of storage space. 1KB = 1024 bytes.

Each DS can store 1024KB, or at least four save files.

Game Freak is ripping you off.
---
GameFAQs.com: You make the content. CBS makes the money.
http://lueshi.info/Mario_Zelda_Tier_List.gif
#16PkmTrainerAbramPosted 2/27/2011 10:18:19 PM
I'm under the impression that each Pokemon game from RS onward had 2 save files, one as a backup incase the main one is courrupted(and there are rare cases where both can be courrpted). Ofcourse, you can only use 1 at a time.

And yeah, this is why I'm looking for other means to back up my save files. I have no problem with GF's strategy, but should something happen to my game, I'd hate to lose all my Pokemon. Ranch flat out FAILS to do it's job compared to Box and Stadium 2, and well, Nintendo isn't offering something to backup save files for DS games on the Wii, so it's AR cloning for me until I can get a Super Memory Stick.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0604 1901 1092
SSB Brawl FC: 4596 9142 7887
#17CURBSTOMPPPosted 2/27/2011 10:28:06 PM

Are there any nes Gamefreak titles? No?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi_%28game%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinty
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Chrollo_Lucifer
#18iGenesisPosted 2/27/2011 10:57:55 PM

I'm under the impression that each Pokemon game from RS onward had 2 save files, one as a backup incase the main one is courrupted(and there are rare cases where both can be courrpted). Ofcourse, you can only use 1 at a time.

And yeah, this is why I'm looking for other means to back up my save files. I have no problem with GF's strategy, but should something happen to my game, I'd hate to lose all my Pokemon. Ranch flat out FAILS to do it's job compared to Box and Stadium 2, and well, Nintendo isn't offering something to backup save files for DS games on the Wii, so it's AR cloning for me until I can get a Super Memory Stick.

The "backed up" saves are 512KBytes each (two 256KB files back to back, one being more recent than the other.) With 1024KB/DS cart there's still enough room for two.

But the backups are less effective than most people think. Chances are, if your DS' memory gets corrupted, both original and backup go together. And a backup really only needs to store essential data such as your box Pokemon (128 bytes * 20 boxes * 30/box or something like that) plus your gym badge progress and your bag inventory.

In short, stop making excuses to defend Game Freak for blatantly ripping off customers.

Spirit Tracks' save files were structured like Pokemon's @ 512KB each and players were given two save files.
---
GameFAQs.com: You make the content. CBS makes the money.
http://lueshi.info/Mario_Zelda_Tier_List.gif
#19dj4242Posted 2/28/2011 2:26:20 AM
i get that way too, ill have played one save for like 150 hours, and have almost everything and then want to start over differently. gamefreak is kind of ripping us off because there is more than enough memory to have more than 1 save. but...i cant complain to much, i usually buy both versions and can trade over each time to start over.
---
SoulSilver friend code 3696 2420 8209
HAVE GUN WILL SHOOT, HAVE GUN WILL SHOOT
#20t3hNubPosted 2/28/2011 3:22:51 AM(edited)
Having multiple save files would be nice, but it has niche appeal at best when you consider the nature of Pokemon games: progress and collection. I'm going to compare the lead character/player avatar and his/her role in Pokemon against... Phantasy Star Portable 2 as an example of how the playstyle of Pokemon compares with a game that DOES feature multiple save slots.

PSP2: Player can choose amongst multiple races, classes, and both sexes. Each race offers something unique to gameplay, from base stat balances to unique racial abilities, and the chosen sex offers 5% stat bonuses in various categories which are opposite in the other sex (males get a little more HP and Attack while females get more Accuracy and casting power just for example). While not gamebreakingly different, playing as a female CAST (robot, highest Accuracy stat) as opposed to a male Beast (lowest accuracy) and being able to use summoned mechanized weapon systems (SUV) or shapeshift into a large Werebeast (Nanoblast) and wreck **** up offer different and customizable experiences.

Pokemon: The player character is always functionally the same, with only apperance and the occasional line of dialogue altered in acknowledgment of sex chosen.

PSP2: You level up as you defeat enemies and gain experience. You can upgrade your weapons to make them more potent.

Pokemon: You defeat NPC's and increase your relative rank (badges, elite four, etc.) within the world. The process of defeating NPC's and wild enemies grants you points (experience) with which you upgrade your weapons (Pokemon).

PSP2: You defeat foes and encounter weapons and armor to help increase your stats and facilitate more efficient battling and defeat of your foes. You can keep your old gear in your collection.

Pokemon: You encounter foes, defeat or capture them and they become your weapons and armor (your team), with stronger Pokemon serving as better "equipment" to help you battle, be it NPC's or other players. You can collect all of them to serve a story function.

The main difference is in the role of the player avatar; in PSP2, the avatar is the main character, while in Pokemon the avatar is basically just a point around which the actual important characters (Pokemon) rotate and are managed. The PSP2 character is the star, while Pokemon's character is just a means to an end for the actual characters (the pokemon).

Ultimately Pokemon doesn't NEED another save file because of the lack of player character diversity; since all of the distinguishing progress and "items" or collecting is made separate from the actual avatar, restarting a save file in Pokemon would be like making a Human male in PSP2, then deciding that you wanted a different gameplay experience and re-rolling as.... another Human male. Functionally identical to what you were doing before. Unless you stored/backed up your Pokemon externally or the game integrated some sort of sharing system (like Shared Storage in PSP2 allowing item/money transfer among all saved characters) all you would be doing is deleting everything you'd accomplished up until the point of reset.

In short, having multiple save slots would be nice for reasons already mentioned (backup, restarting for the hell of it without losing any actual progress, "borrow" slot for friends/relatives, etc.), it ain't gonna happen for the reasons also mentioned (For the MONEYZ $$$, no functional need, niche appeal). My two cents on the matter.
---
How do you manage to make that screw up? That's like going to the store to buy milk, but end up conquering a small country along the way. - Goldenmasamune