This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

5th Gen OU Pokemon

#1souperatorPosted 3/11/2011 11:49:20 AM
I know the data hasn't been updated to smogon yet, so I just want some peoples specculations on what will actually be OU

And please don't just say "Darmanitan he haz high attackz" give some reasoning behind your thoughts.

And what about the DW abilities? Will Venasaur/Blaziken actually make it into OU?

Anyways discuss.
---
Pokemon White-1506-5049-7072
#2SparksfanboyPosted 3/11/2011 11:51:01 AM
Darmanitan he haz high attackz
---
Justin Bieber is the one ring that will destroy the Liberals forever. In four years he will have half the voting population wrapped around his finger!
#3jschristyPosted 3/11/2011 11:53:27 AM
Excadrill: just read the boards. Crazy speed and attack. Sandstorm + Sand Rush
Darmanitan: attack, speed, moveset
Haxorus: speed holds him behind rest of dragons, and movepool is not greatest

all i got right now
---
SS FC: 1892 3402 3141
#4BadDecisionsPosted 3/11/2011 11:53:41 AM
And what about the DW abilities? Will Venasaur/Blaziken actually make it into OU?

Lemme tell you a story, about Venusaur.
A Venusaur with twice the speed, he's still Venusaur. UU at best. That's all there is to that, brother.

I think WaterGhost and FireGhost are both gonna be really good. Immunity teams gonna be up in here, with Flash Fire and... Water... the water one. Where they heal. From water. You could make a team nowadays of like... nothing but safe switch-in dudes. It's gonna be huge.
#5souperator(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2011 11:55:48 AM
BadDecisions posted...

A Venusaur with twice the speed, he's still Venusaur. UU at best. That's all there is to that, brother.

I think WaterGhost and FireGhost are both gonna be really good. Immunity teams gonna be up in here, with Flash Fire and... Water... the water one. Where they heal. From water. You could make a team nowadays of like... nothing but safe switch-in dudes. It's gonna be huge.

Sounds to defensive for my liking. I'm all about heavy offense.
---
Pokemon White-1506-5049-7072
#6AlexBCPPosted 3/11/2011 11:55:59 AM
Sparksfanboy posted...
Darmanitan he haz high attackz

this
---
I may be good, but I'm perfectly bad at it.
#7BadDecisionsPosted 3/11/2011 11:57:28 AM
Sounds to defensive for my liking. I'm all about heavy offense.

YOUR LIKING IS IRRELEVANT! You're asking what's gonna be OU, and I'm tellin' ya.
#8WynzermanPosted 3/11/2011 11:57:43 AM
I think a new tiering system is going to be in order since almost all species of Pokemon have some combination or another now which allows them to compete at what used to be Borderline/OU level. So I think tiering is going to result more around which builds function best for each individual species than which species rule the roost in popular usage.

That aside, I could Entei having potential because of Flame Charge (though I'm still a bit leary on this, fantastic stats with a speed boost could make Entei more viable, but it could also be a dud)
#9GloryChaosPosted 3/11/2011 12:02:34 PM
Blaziken: Speed Boost has turned him into an enormous threat. After one speed boost, adamant blaziken outspeeds all non scarfed base 125 speed pokemon and under. After a Sword's Dance, Hippowdon takes 89-103% from Hi Jump kick, which was buffed in fifth gen to 130 base power. Sword's Dance speed boost blaziken has only one counter. Slowbro. Everything else is decimated by his sheer power regardless of type advantage (tentacruel, latios, and latias are ohko'd by hi jump kick just to give you an example). Under the sun, the number of blaziken's checks are reduced and he manages to become capable of ohkoing even the likes of cresselia with maximum hp and defenses. Gyarados is handled by stone edge. Non bulky dragons like salamence actually lose to sun boosted flare blitz or blaze kick, believe it or not.

And that's just sword's dance blaziken. Mixed blaziken? Oh boy. Even Slowbro doesn't counter that, losing over half of his health from hp electric or hp grass. Physical walls (not that any of them wall him), won't like being on the receiving end of a fire blast.

Venusaur: He's basically drought teams primary sweeper. With the growth buff this generation (under the sun, it acts as a combination of nasty plot and sword's dance all in one turn), and a moveset of energy ball, sludge bomb, and hidden power fire, nothing walls him save for chandelure and heatran. If need be, he can run earthquake, but the nuetral coverage is enough for life orb venusaur to steamroll through even the likes of dragons.

Gorebyss: I personally can't stand this pokemon. >_> It was one of the few pokemon to obtain a move named shell smash in fifth generation, a move that acts like a nasty plot, sword's dance, AND an agility all in one turn. It can sweep all on it's own. The worst part? If you actually manage to wall it, it can just baton pass the boosts over to another dangerous sweeper. Walling it isn't hard. It's the baton passing that follows...

Quagsire: Ask anyone. Him and Gastrodon have replaced Swampert in OU. Unaware quagsire is used to check several popular bulky boosting pokemon in fifth generation. How good is he? He's used to check Sword's dance blaziken, losing around half of his health from a Life orb hi jump kick, and ohkoing with earthquake. He can spread status, recover off the damage, and boost himself with curse or stockpile while ignoring his opponent's own boosts. Much more than Swampert can say, who is only good for setting up stealth rock and phazing certain pokemon.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
#10GloryChaosPosted 3/11/2011 12:04:14 PM

Double post, but I'm not quite certain what your reasoning for this is. Kabutops at twice the speed is still a kabutops. Kingdra at twice the speed is still the same kingdra. Ludicolo at twice the speed is still the same ludicolo. Why did smogon ban the combination of drizzle and swift swim on the same team in OU then?
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690