This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best ditto catching strategy?

#1Kain__DragoonPosted 4/4/2011 9:03:49 AM
Trying to farm up some ditto for breeding, and current setup is a lv 55 metagross w/smoke ball as repel fodder (would arguably be better with something that isn't such a tank, but cba levelling something else up- would it maybe save some time ultimately though?)

lv 38 archeops as transform fodder, then a 61 haxorus with swords dance+false swipe.

Tactic is hunt with repel to find ditto, then swap out for archeops- ditto transforms, archeops hits with ancientpower to leave ditto in critical health, swap for haxorus who hits with false swipe, then ultra ball ftw.

Anything that might make this quicker? What tactics did anyone else use for getting good IV+nature dittos, assuming you did?

And one last thing- are the % right? I know how probability works, so this isn't a whine about not finding any, but with repel active I've run into ~25 solrocks, ~5 ditto (all lv 55 dead) and 1 audino (shaking grass by accident ofc). According to serebii ditto has a better encounter rate than solrock, so what gives- just bad luck or is there something strange there? Should I be running less than a lv 55 poke?
#2cecils7swordPosted 4/4/2011 9:06:41 AM
Ive had that problem too. But here is a tip if you don't alrdy know.

Go catch the nature of your choice of a munna with synchronise.

This will give you a 50% chance that your ditto will be that nature. That way you can find a ditto of the nature you want while looking for iv's.
---
"Are you apart of the cure, or part of the disease?"
Poke White Code:0561 6811 5005
#3PyroticsPosted 4/4/2011 9:13:07 AM(edited)
cecils7sword posted...
Ive had that problem too. But here is a tip if you don't alrdy know.

Go catch the nature of your choice of a munna with synchronise.

This will give you a 50% chance that your ditto will be that nature. That way you can find a ditto of the nature you want while looking for iv's.

Just going to go out there and say this;

If you waste the time to catch the munna you want with the nature... couldn't you just use that time to catch a Ditto with the nature you want instead?

I mean, if you already have a synchro, then by all means use it. But there isn't a need to go catch a pokemon to catch a pokemon.

That said, it makes it pretty easy to catch Ditto if you have something like a Magikarp at the lead with a smoke ball, let it transform and you get a super easy catch (since, if I recall correctly, transform copies Magikarp's 255 catch rate).

Edit: It occurs to me that if you are looking for good IVs from a specific nature, then you might indeed want to use the Munna/Synchro method
#4unimagine1Posted 4/4/2011 9:09:22 AM
I don't think you need to lower it's health. I was getting Dittos for natures and 2-3 Ultra balls are usually good enough
---
A painting is a work of art. A masterpiece is a work of heart.
PSN: unimagine1
#5Diamond Angel99Posted 4/4/2011 9:09:35 AM
I used a level 1 poke with a smoke ball in my first slot and just caught the dittos that popped up >_>
---
Do you worry that you're not liked... how long 'till you break?
You're happy cause you smile... but how much can you fake?
#6PyroticsPosted 4/4/2011 9:10:27 AM
Diamond Angel99 posted...
I used a level 1 poke with a smoke ball in my first slot and just caught the dittos that popped up >_>

Level doesn't factor into catching a pokemon (unless you are using a Nest Ball).
#7iLikeMtnDewPosted 4/4/2011 9:15:09 AM
I use my level 30 dodu with run away and then after it transforms I bring in my false swiper
---
Even Spartan Armor can't deflect Discrimination
Cavaliers/Browns/Indians
#8SpiderCVIIIPosted 4/4/2011 9:20:30 AM
I suggest you use Munna/Musharna with Synchornize + wanted nature w/ Smoke Ball as lead. Then let Ditto transform for an easy catch.
---
Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Play as if you were to die tomorrow.
PSN/Youtube: SpiderCVIII Pokemon White FC: 0475 7675 6485
#9zurcnPosted 4/4/2011 10:25:31 AM
I'd probably use a sturdy roggenrolla with only harden and a smoke ball then change to anything with EQ
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
#10Phantom_NookPosted 4/4/2011 10:28:07 AM
Have a Magikarp in your party, and when you find one, switch out for that. It will transform into a Pokemon with a 100% catch rate once you throw a Net Ball at it.
---
Clearly, everyone is ugly.