This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good sun team.

#1CanyouGuessPosted 10/7/2011 1:31:16 PM
I'm entering a tournament soon, and I know it's probably just gonna be weather wars. I have actually never used a weather team, and in order to be different than the countless rain/sand teams that will doubtlessly run rampant, I've decided to run a sun team. Problem is, I have no idea who to use besides Ninetales and Venusaur. Any suggestions?
---
Black FC:
4942-8093-4406
#2FearHappyPosted 10/7/2011 1:36:29 PM
Dugtrio to have a chance of actually keeping sun up, because Tyranitar and politoed have type advantage over Ninetails, gotta have something to get rid of em.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 1463 8123 3520; Name: May
Only 3 things are infinite the universe, human stupidity, and the amount of Zubats in Dark Cave.
#3iNetMasterPosted 10/7/2011 1:37:11 PM
If it's a weather war, I suggest taking advantage of the weather your opponent creates, instead to have your sun taken over with a sandstorm.
---
Screw the rules, I have money. Call me iNet, if you call me iNetMaster you'll most likely spell it wrong.
#4CanyouGuess(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2011 1:40:54 PM
iNetMaster posted...
If it's a weather war, I suggest taking advantage of the weather your opponent creates, instead to have your sun taken over with a sandstorm.

I actually considered that, but it occurred to me that if I used Garchomp/Excadrill, I'd be ill-equipped to deal with a Rain team.
---
Black FC:
4942-8093-4406
#5SaintparaPosted 10/7/2011 1:49:30 PM
Heatblast (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Power Swap
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Humongousaur (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

XLR8 (Sawsbuck) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Megahorn
- Wild Charge

Swampfire (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- ThunderPunch
- Mach Punch

Armordrillo (Excadrill) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Big Chill (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

This is my sand-sun team, but its adaptable to your needs. I prefer Sawsbuck over Venusaur, since he can more effectively use a choice band and lets me shave off set up turns.
---
Black FC: 1034 0660 9683 (Saintes)
White FC: 2966 9436 0158
#6CanyouGuess(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2011 2:07:11 PM
Onyx Kinslayer posted...
Heatblast (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Power Swap
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Woah. That is actually a really cool set. It looks good on paper, but mind telling me how it works in reality? Anyway, after some research, I've come up with this:

Dugtrio w/ Focus Sash
Arena Trap
252 Atk/ 252 Spd/4 HP
Adamant/Jolly
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Idea here is actually lead with him to take out other weather inducers like Fearhappy said. 1HP Reversal will make Tyranitar cry, and do a large chunk to Politoed if not a KO. If it's not a weather team, set up Stealth Rock.

Dragonite w/Leftovers
Multiscale
252 Atk/ 252/ Spd/4 HP
Admant
Dragon Claw/Outrage
Fire Punch
Extremespeed
Dragon Dance

Offensive Dragonite. Fire Punch is to abuse the sun, Dragon move for STAB, and Extremespeed because priority.

I'm going to use the Venusaur Chlorophyll set that everyone already knows, so I'm left with a big hole in terms of defense. Any suggestions for that?
---
Black FC:
4942-8093-4406
#7SaintparaPosted 10/7/2011 2:17:04 PM
umm dont lead with Ninetales, first of all. I lead with Infernape, but Sawsbuck can do it too very well. Both can OHKO Ttar and Politoed. Anyway, the idea with my Ninetales is to start the sun, Protect to scout (and get free recovery.) You burn physical attackers to neuter them.

Power Swap really trolls things like Reuniclus who think they can just set-up on you. Overheat nerfs your special attack by a ton and you can, then, swap those nerfs to Reuniclus, who probably has a Calm Mind up by now. Now... your sitting at +1/+2 and hes at -2/-4. Awkward much? It only works on special types who can switch into Overheat and try to scare you off. Switch power with them, they ding you for nerfed damage, you switch and get a free set-up turn.

And dont use Dugtrio like that. Best is to NOT lead with him, that way you he can come in later and properly revenge kill. Dont expect to always kill their weather starter from the get go. Also, depending on the TTar, Earthquake will OHKO it with a CHoice Band and it'll almost always kill Politoed as well (I've seen a few bulky toeds...)

Use the Team Preview! If you dont see weather on their side, lead with Ninetales. If you DO see it, lead with Infernape or Specs-Meteor Latios or something that can reliably scare them off. Never lead with Ninetales unless your positive they wont be fighting you for weather.
---
#8CanyouGuess(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2011 2:36:03 PM
Then who would be a good lead?
---
Black FC:
4942-8093-4406
#9SaintparaPosted 10/7/2011 2:40:42 PM
Im hardly an expert, but it depends on team preview. I usually lead with Infernape, just because he can handle most of the common leads, including Ttar and Politoed. But it really depends on what I see on their team. Obviously, if it looks like sand, im gonna throw Infernape at it. If im positive its rain, i'll lead with Sawsbuck to make sure Politoed gets got.

Thing is, Ninetales is faster than every non-Uber weather starter. That means Drought goes first, Drizzle/Sand/Hail go second. This means you will never control the weather if you try to go head to head.
---
#10the_beriznetsPosted 10/7/2011 3:15:00 PM
If you choose to use Dugtrio then I recommend using Espeon aswell. Espeon lures in Tyranitar (Pursuit), you switch to Duggy and you kill Tyranitar. You also need a steel type so Outrage spammers don't run you over. Heatran and Jirachi are pretty good with Flash Fire and Wish support. You also NEED a check to Landorus. He's probably the biggest threat to sun teams due to his ability to kill Fire sweepers and Chlorophyll sweepers with HP Ice/SE/EQ. I like to use Mamoswine for this since he also checks dragons (who resist Fire/Ice).
---
Did you hear about the Lebron IPhone? It has no ring.
GT: xxT4K3 N0TESxx (for now)