This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, how/why are Psychic-types super-effective against Poison-types?

#1ColebyPosted 1/28/2012 7:01:52 PM
Topic.

I mean, I'm not complaining at all; I'm a Psychic-type trainer, afterall. It's just that most of the other super-effective/weak against type match-ups make sense in reality, for the most part (i.e. water dowses fire [Water > Fire], bugs eat grass [Bug > Grass], fighters aren't afraid of the dark [Fighting > Dark], etc.).

And so I've always wondered why Poison-types are weak to Psychic-types. It never made any sense to me. What's the reasoning behind it, if any? The other types dealing with Psychic-types are logical--the three most common phobias are bugs, ghosts, and the dark (Psychic's weakness), while you have the old 'brains are better than brawns' motif (Psychic > Fighting). But with Poison...Um, the mind heals all wounds, maybe? Well, maybe not...

In any case, it'd be nice if the Psychics had one more type to be super-effective against, to balance its three weaknesses. I would propose Normal-types, with the idea being that super geniuses > average people, but then again, the Normals already have no advantages other than be unaffected by Ghosts. Maybe it can be another WTF random like with Poison...so perhaps Rock or Dragon?
---
This is a scratch-and-sniff sig. Go ahead, try it!
"Coleby your sig made me break my monitor" ~ kill3r619
#2Whetstone_DudePosted 1/28/2012 7:02:57 PM
I guess it's because they can read minds, and know exactly how they're going to be poisoned, I guess?
---
http://www.abload.de/img/mehaters5uze.gif
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/strups/ORANGEMOCHAFRAPPUCCINODA2.gif
#3Dr_ProfessorPosted 1/28/2012 7:06:05 PM
Poison was overpowered. It needed another weakness. And it's not like anyone uses Psychic-types anyway.
---
Proud member of the Smogang since about ten minutes ago.
#4warnerbromanPosted 1/28/2012 7:13:57 PM
I though that psychic powers purify poison.
---
I never heard of warnerbroman [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/chun-lifan/chun-li/prima2.jpg[/IMG] you can't stop staring can you?
#5AmesangPosted 1/29/2012 8:50:05 AM
Mind over matter? If I believe I won't get sick, then I won't get sick?
---
"Help! Help! They've destroyed my cousin's brain!! Oh, my god! They've already milked you, haven't they?!!" -- Phoncible P. Bone
#6Oni_TatsujinPosted 1/29/2012 8:55:21 AM
Just wanna say that Dark type isn't like "this room is so dark, I can't see!". It's more like "fighting dishonorably or cheaply". Fighting can be seen as the "Light" type in this context.

As for Psychic > Poison... Think of Placebo pills. You have a cold and are given a sugar filled pill that you're told will cure the sickness. What do you know? It does. You feel better, even though the pill did nothing.
---
Need a new sig? (Y)(*m*)(Y) WHY NOT ZOIDBERG!?
http://www.youtube.com/user/Terrafuror - I have 1330 favorited videos and growing. Muwahahaaaa~
#7BardWannabePosted 1/29/2012 8:57:53 AM
I'm not positive about this, but wasn't the Japanese name for the Psychic type closer to "esper" in our language? If so, then I assume that these spiritual creatures are above mortal disease and illness...
#8Asynch_Posted 1/29/2012 9:08:36 AM
If someone secretly tries to poison you (Poison) and you're telepathic (Psychic), then you'll know that said person is trying to poison you!

Thus Psychic > Poison
---
Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter.
#9LilraptorPosted 1/29/2012 12:26:18 PM
Because the Chronicles of Narnia said so.

Seriously, one of the first three chapters in The Silver Chair mentions them calling a psychic to help Casipian's mom with some kind of poisoning.
---
Waiting for Tang to come back since '03.
#10Fullmetal_77Posted 1/29/2012 12:30:00 PM
Whetstone_Dude posted...
I guess it's because they can read minds, and know exactly how they're going to be poisoned, I guess?

MK Sonic posted...
Mind over matter? If I believe I won't get sick, then I won't get sick?

Oni_Tatsujin posted...
As for Psychic > Poison... Think of Placebo pills. You have a cold and are given a sugar filled pill that you're told will cure the sickness. What do you know? It does. You feel better, even though the pill did nothing.

All great points; however, they all lend themselves to psychic resisting poison, as opposed to dealing super-effective damage to it.
---
Pokemon White FC: 1549-4524-4165