This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A feature I wish for, but know will never happen.

#1NickTheBlitzPosted 3/20/2012 11:57:40 PM
[Wall Of Text Alert]

One thing I wish GameFreak would do is add near-complete local co-op for the main game. I'm not talking about Entralink, though it's a start. No, I'm talking about you travelling through the game together, and can do so from the start. Meaning we can be buddies and beat the game together, on what is essentially the same game.

"Nick, that's blasphemy. It'll never work!"

But it can if GF did it right. What I propose might sound a little complex, but is quite simple. First and foremost, you have the two obvious options: Host (Player 1), and Join (Player 2).

The player who is hosting is the one whom the game world is based off of. Meaning if Player 1 essentially cleared the game (evil team beat, all gyms cleared, etc), that's the world that Player 2 will experience as well.

Once both players have their roles, the next two options would be as follows: Journey, and Visit. Journey will let Player 1 and 2 experience Player 1's main game together. Each player will be limited to only three Pokemon on their team, and nearly every battle (trainer or wild) will be a double battle. Certain event battles, such as rivals/evil teams/gyms/E4, may be restricted to just Player 1's team (so as to avoid Player 2 from bringing overleveled Pokes.)

To be continued in the next post....
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
Check out my webcomic! http://www.drunkduck.com/La_Vie_a_la_Mode
#2NickTheBlitz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 11:58:08 PM
Visit mode would play as almost the opposite. Instead of truly experiencing Player 1's world together, Player 2 is merely a visitor in Player 1's world. Player 2 would be unable to participate in events (rival/evil team/gyms/E4), but would otherwise have access to everything else. This could be a way to capitalize on version exclusive Pokemon; as Player 2 could catch whatever Player 1's game has in the wild.

It's not 100% perfect, it has flaws, and the names for the two modes could probably use work. But I sincerely wish GameFreak would add a feature like this in a future game. It would enhance the overall gameplay experience greatly, IMO.

Thoughts?
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
Check out my webcomic! http://www.drunkduck.com/La_Vie_a_la_Mode
#3zach12_2Posted 3/21/2012 12:02:06 AM
I wish. That'd be awesome.
---
(0)(0) <--- Santiago the frog says John Gilmore said "The Net
(___) interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."R
#4Vohn_ExelPosted 3/21/2012 1:47:25 AM
Dude, that'd be great!
---
"Metal...beer?!" SS FC: 1119 3184 2945 Black: 0003 3193 6389
.... .. / - .... . .-. .
#5pokemon2pokerPosted 3/21/2012 4:20:46 AM
Reminds me of DQ9 meets pokemon...I would be down.
---
"What is Zapdos? Please don't spoil the game for me cuz I never completed the main quest." -halofan9912 (RIP 3/19/12)
#6BardWannabePosted 3/21/2012 5:03:07 AM
That would be a wonderful idea. If it were ever to come about in Pokemon, I imagine co-op would be first used in a console spin-off title (such as Colosseum). It would be a great way to play with my younger brothers.
#7DawndragonPosted 3/21/2012 6:28:25 AM
NickTheBlitz posted...
Visit mode would play as almost the opposite. Instead of truly experiencing Player 1's world together, Player 2 is merely a visitor in Player 1's world. Player 2 would be unable to participate in events (rival/evil team/gyms/E4), but would otherwise have access to everything else. This could be a way to capitalize on version exclusive Pokemon; as Player 2 could catch whatever Player 1's game has in the wild.

It's not 100% perfect, it has flaws, and the names for the two modes could probably use work. But I sincerely wish GameFreak would add a feature like this in a future game. It would enhance the overall gameplay experience greatly, IMO.

Thoughts?

Problem: Pokemon you need to talk to to fight e.g: Kyurem in Giant Chasm, What's to stop the visitor from simply catching the hosts Legendaries and then disconnecting?

Problem: Gamefreak would have to take even longer to come up with unique dialogue for the Visitor in order to avoid giving the visitor spoilers through Dialogue that hosts later on in the story wouldn't consider spoilers.

e.g: "I am Bob, leader of team Genero!" When visitors early in the story would know Bob as that weird guy that teaches you how to catch pokemon.

Problem: The visitor could also go through the world battling all the trainers, losing the host experience and Pokedex entries, not including the techical problems that may ensue from not having host and visitor tied together in some way.

Conclusion: Nice Idea, but I don't think it would work on DS, perhaps on 3DS or on the Wii?
---
Trade Partners: I Do not knowingly accept Hacked pokemon, Nor will I Knowingly trade them out.
3052-9840-7953 - Pokemon Black FC
#8oshkoshbjoshPosted 3/21/2012 7:54:55 AM
If they can balance it correctly I'm all for it.
---
We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us.
Pokemon White FC: 0046-6707-6929
#9armageddon12Posted 3/21/2012 10:47:24 AM
Dawndragon posted...
*snip*

Legendaries wouldn't respond to visitors or they would be able to catch their own, leaving the host theirs. This would slightly diminish legendaries, but at this point I don't think anyone cares. Perhaps it should be limited to 1 in your own game and 1 in another, if you can catch them in a host's game.

Why would anyone care about spoilers? Surely the person further in the game would help the person who isn't, anyway.

Trainers would ignore visitors unless the visitor engaged them or the host. In the case of the former, they could fight them and the host could still fight them. In the case of the latter the visitor could join in if it's a double/triple/rotation battle, or spectate if it's a single battle. When the visitor is spectating, they could take over if the host lets them, although the battle wouldn't be completed in the host's game; the host would also get a portion of xp/money.
#10HeiedonoPosted 3/21/2012 11:25:18 AM
Sounds awesome. I'd be very happy if this was implemented. Too bad I know gamefreak wouldn't go through the trouble.
---
"If the worst comes to the worst, you can always try summoning nipples and glue. Probably vulgar though :("
PB FC:1549-9392-8987