This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

31 IV ditto question

#1mewtwoisgodPosted 7/1/2012 4:35:02 PM
ok so i have spent the last 4 days catching ditto's
and so far i have only caught 3 ditto's with 1 31 stat, i have gotten HP, attack. and SD.
I have also caught 2 with not 31's but multiple high stats.
1 of those is a ditto with fantastic attack and def. and 1 with good in SA/SD/speed

now i haven't done the numbers yet to find the exact stat spread on the 2 non 31's so i dont know on them yet.

But my questions are.

1: how truly hard is it to catch a ditto with multiple 31's?
2: how necessary is having 31 IV stats for competitive play
3: in some cases would it be better to breed with a ditto that has a more spread out stat variable or one that has a 31?
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get. Idiots or morons."
#2iBear-Posted 7/1/2012 5:12:24 PM
u should read a breeding guide on serebii or something

It certainly helps cuz when you breed up to 3 stats from the parents are carried over and the rest are random. Speed is probably the most important one to make sure is 31. If you put a power item on the ditto when you send it in for breeding, it will make the hatched pokemon always have the power item equivalent of the ditto (so ditto with 31 speed, put power anklet on, all hatched pokes will have 31 speed every time.)

In addition to that, it can take up to 3 other random stats from either parent. So if you get really lucky, u can realistically get 3 to 4 perfect ivs on a couple of them. Which is why a perfect ditto is really usefull.

You should probably save yourself some time and get a hacked ditto. or if your crazy serious, find a ditto with on perfect stat, power item it, then breed untill you get something with two perfect stats and repeat.

btw breeding is the only realistic possible way to get great iv'd pokemon. Plus you can also dictate the moveset and natures that way.
#3I_eat_tablesPosted 7/1/2012 6:33:21 PM(edited)
1: how truly hard is it to catch a ditto with multiple 31's?

Based purely on probability (binomial theorem, to be precise): The chance of a ditto having x max IVs is:
For x=0: 82.65%
For x=1: 16.00%
For x=2: 1.29%
For x=3: 0.056%
For x>=4: 0.0000136%

In other words, very unlikely.

2: how necessary is having 31 IV stats for competitive play

Honestly, the only stat that REALLY matters is speed. One point of attack will occasionally let you deal one more damage. One point of defence will occasionally let you take one less damage. One HP will rarely let you just survive an attack. The Attack/Defence increases will rarely matter, but sometimes will. On the other hand, one point of speed is HUGE. It makes you lose mirrors, so on common pokemon it's vital to max out speed. If your build wasn't going to use max EVs, though, it's much less of a problem - just take one or two EVs from elsewhere to get your speed up to the point you needed.

Of course, some people will hack their teams to 31's all around, and well, there's not much you can do about that. In proper competitions, it shouldn't happen, and if someone does it in a Friendly, they're a douche.

Edit: It's probably worth noting, on a sweeper/other offensive pokemon, getting a high (SP)ATK is still pretty important - I'd definitely be looking at 26+, ideally 29-31, while defences you can be a little more lax about. On a tank/other defensive pokemon, switch attack/defence around (and of course if the pokemon has no offensive moves in one/both types, those IVs become meaningless. Low attack is technically better to minimize confusion damage, in fact!)

3: in some cases would it be better to breed with a ditto that has a more spread out stat variable or one that has a 31?

One 31. Remember breeding pokemon pass one IV from each parent, and then one more from a random parent and finally generate 3 IVs completely at random. With a Power Item, you can fix Ditto to pass on his 31 IV, which is what really matters. However, a good spread elsewhere is good for getting the other IVs up, of course.

I don't competitive battle, so I can't tell you exactly where to aim, but basically go for good IVs, but don't kill yourself trying to max them.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#4NovaCastPosted 7/1/2012 6:58:27 PM
mewtwoisgod posted...

1: how truly hard is it to catch a ditto with multiple 31's? it is quite hard, if you are saying full 31 iv's across the board it is more than twice as hard as running into a shiny. Though with some days of hunting you can probably find one with 3 31 ivs.

2: how necessary is having 31 IV stats for competitive play ? It depends on whom its for , for example a ''sweeper'' will want a 31 iv stat no matter what because it needs its full speed so it wont get outran by other pokemon near its speed range.

Of course more than 1 31 iv will help but its not entirely needed. Having high iv's for sweepers other than its speed and chosen offense use ( physical or special, if physical then 31 in attack if special then 31 ).

HIGH ivs matter in alot of cases lets say you are using an offensive physical pokemon with an attack iv of 15, you use a random attack against another foe which you believe would surely kill it but somehow it survived with around 10 hp. Had your pokemon had a 31 iv in attack it would have died. In competitive gameplay that would cost you alot.

''Walls'' ( pokemon intended to take hits such as blissey, chansey, porygon 2, dusknoir, duskclops etc..) don't exactly need 31 ivs but it helps. Walls will generally appreciate 31 ivs in hp and defense stats, while ''sweepers'' will appreciate in offensive stats ( speed and either attack or special attack).

3: in some cases would it be better to breed with a ditto that has a more spread out stat variable or one that has a 31? read above , a ditto with more higher spread out ivs ( ex. 20/21/25/29/30/29) will be better in some cases ( rather than something like : 10/15/20/12/18/31) depending for what pokemon its for and what you plan on doing with it.

Though if you breed a pokemon with a 31 iv like this: 5/31/2/5/7/1 and then another one like this 20/29/28/30/15/25 then the first one is really no good.

---
#5KatimariDamashiPosted 7/1/2012 7:53:17 PM
I don't know if the TC is still here, but in the event that you're still lurking at this point, if you don't feel like searching for a multi perfect/flawless ditto, I could clone my flawless Japanese ditto for you. This would allow you to breed flawless pokemon quite easily; and because it's Japanese (foreign for an american cartridge) you would have 4x the chance of obtaining shiny pokemon. It's pretty much mandatory to have a foreign ditto if you plan on RNGing shiny pokemon (or just breeding them in general).
---
White FC: 3439 8353 9339
#6SSJ4CHRISPosted 7/1/2012 9:10:52 PM
I have flawless Ditto in every nature except the neutral ones, and they give amazing results to the babies when breeding. I constantly get 4 31's in bred Pokemon, even though some of them have the wrong nature and I still get the few duds. Flawless Ditto + everstone + choice item = damn good breed stock.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225
PSN: phayro_rip
#7FD_DrifterPosted 7/1/2012 10:27:18 PM
KatimariDamashi posted...
I don't know if the TC is still here, but in the event that you're still lurking at this point, if you don't feel like searching for a multi perfect/flawless ditto, I could clone my flawless Japanese ditto for you. This would allow you to breed flawless pokemon quite easily; and because it's Japanese (foreign for an american cartridge) you would have 4x the chance of obtaining shiny pokemon. It's pretty much mandatory to have a foreign ditto if you plan on RNGing shiny pokemon (or just breeding them in general).

I sent you a PM.

I would be very grateful if you could give me one.
#8mewtwoisgod(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 8:12:47 AM
well my intent is to breed a team for competitive play. And i had read diffrent breeding guides that's why i went ditto hunting. I was just getting a bit tiered of farming ditto's to come away with ditto's that share a 31 stat with one i already have, or no 31's at all that's why i was wondering.

Not because i didnt understand the breeding importance just that it was getting annoying trying to get the 31's (thus was getting me to a point of why should i care so much lol).

and to the guy who said youd clone a jap ditto, 1 im not super worried about shinys but having some would be awesome, so far threw my rears of playing ive only ran into 5 shiny pokemon.

what im doing is more important for competitive pokemon.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get. Idiots or morons."