This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gravity is amazing.

#1TheOinkanatorPosted 7/16/2012 2:54:19 PM
Just built a whole doubles team around and I'm stomping people left and right on random wifi.

Why don't people use this move more? It borders on broken if you use it to abuse the right moves with it (Zap Cannon, DynamicPunch, Inferno, etc).

Also, inb4 lolwifi.
---
Viewer discretion advised
#2HydroDragonPosted 7/16/2012 4:34:16 PM
Except that instead of Gravity + Zap Cannon you could do Rain Dance + SwiftSwimThunderHydroPumpRainDishLOL.

Dynamicpunch isn't that great. Machamp's is 100% accurate and he's not near broken. Zap Cannon is nothing special either. The point of a high base power move is to K.O the opponent. If it fails to do that then you missed the point of using a high base power move. Sure you paralyze as well but it's not worth a turn of setup just to do that. And it might still miss.

Dynamicpunch on Machamp is an exception to this argument because it requires no setup and as a bulky attacker, the defense drops from Close Combat aren't worth the 20% increase in base power.
---
PSN/X-Box:- HydroDragon95
White Friend Code:- 0690 7918 2154
#3WindyligthPosted 7/16/2012 4:45:07 PM
Hydro, do you usually do doubles or singles?

I usually do doubles. Whenever the damage isn't enough, the confusion from DP has saved my ass far too many times to count by now. Plus if it's 4v4 instead of 6v6, that paralysis/confuse/burn can often times make all the difference in a single turn.

Then again, this was back when I played Revolution though. I haven't done much with B/W yet.
---
Can I wear a cape to bed, dear?
#4Guerrero_SonPosted 7/16/2012 4:47:14 PM
Don't mind Hydro, he's close-minded.

Gravity 'is' a great movie. The only problem is that it affects you as well. But, if you can build a good team around being affected by Gravity, then good for ya. And having a high base power and not OHKOing a Pokemon is perfectly fine if it leaves them handicapped.

Confused? Great. Burned? Great. Paralyzed? Great. Having an extremely boring setup such as using Rain Dance and then obviously following up with a Hydro Pump, Thunder, or Hurricane while gaining 12.5% of your health there after? Overused, unoriginal, boring (yes, it needed to be said again), and predictable.
---
Pokemon White FC: 2881 5543 3297
#5pokemon2pokerPosted 7/16/2012 5:01:00 PM
I'm up for trying out my luck against it sometime. I won't rage quit on you if I lose.
---
I'm an asstroll; deal with it.
#6HydroDragonPosted 7/16/2012 5:35:36 PM
Guerrero_Son posted...
Don't mind Hydro, he's close-minded.

Gravity 'is' a great movie. The only problem is that it affects you as well. But, if you can build a good team around being affected by Gravity, then good for ya. And having a high base power and not OHKOing a Pokemon is perfectly fine if it leaves them handicapped.

Confused? Great. Burned? Great. Paralyzed? Great. Having an extremely boring setup such as using Rain Dance and then obviously following up with a Hydro Pump, Thunder, or Hurricane while gaining 12.5% of your health there after? Overused, unoriginal, boring (yes, it needed to be said again), and predictable.


I'm just pointing out that Gravity is not 'amazing'. Anyone who claims gravity is almost broken is deluded. It's not 'close-minded' to point out this obvious fact.

I simply point out one (of many) examples of a better field effect (Rain) and you have to get all defensive and call it unoriginal, boring, etc. You might think so but that doesn't make it any less effective nor does it make Gravity any better, We're discussing how good the strategy is here not how 'creative' it is. It isn't seen very often FOR A REASON. It doesn't take a creative genius to look at what gravity does and point out 2 moves that could vaguely go with it. Anyone can do it.

If you could devise an effective strategy around gravity I would be impressed. 'Gravity + Zap Cannon' for example is not a strategy. It is a two-move combination that has an 83% chance to harm and paralyze an opponent, assuming of course that your opponent sits there and does nothing for 2 turns.

And as the above poster said, yes, DynamicPunch's confusion is very helpful on Machamp because you get it for free. It could allow you to use substitute or rest or something like that where you would have died otherwise. It's why he was so good in the fourth generation.

But wasting a turn on Gravity just to make Dynamicpunch 83% accurate (and it won't even have STAB since no fighting-type learns gravity and dynamicpunch except Medicham, and he has better things to do) is not a viable idea.
---
PSN/X-Box:- HydroDragon95
White Friend Code:- 0690 7918 2154
#7Mikey_RPosted 7/16/2012 5:38:21 PM
I think you missed the bit where they said it was a doubles team.
---
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Burnin_Rubber/index/
#8wutzgoodPosted 7/16/2012 5:42:35 PM
Mikey_R posted...
I think you missed the bit where they said it was a doubles team.


It's true. Gravity and zap canon/dynamic punch can be used the same turn in doubles so there isn't a 2 turn setup.
---
I'm calling you an elitist, but I'm just gonna go ahead and leave a snooty remark as I go. I am wutz good
SS FC: 4598 9525 2106 Black 0991 3491 6739
#9HydroDragonPosted 7/16/2012 5:50:51 PM
wutzgood posted...
Mikey_R posted...
I think you missed the bit where they said it was a doubles team.


It's true. Gravity and zap canon/dynamic punch can be used the same turn in doubles so there isn't a 2 turn setup.


You're not getting it. It's still a waste of 2 turns no matter what kind of battle it is. The fact that it's a double battle doesn't matter. You don't get enough return off of gravity. It's simply a weak field effect.

Lets see here, 2 Pokemon use Gravity and Zap Cannon. There's an 83% chance that the combination will hit 1 Pokemon with a powerful electric attack and paralyze it. 17% nothing happens. Gravity is in effect so for 5 turns you can try to use 83% accurate Dynamicpunch/Zap Cannon/etc.

On the other hand, 2 Pokemon use Rain Dance and Thunder. 100% chance that the combination will hit 1 Pokemon with a powerful electric attack and 30% chance it'll be paralyzed. Rain is in effect for 5 turns so my team is now twice as fast, my water attacks are 50% stronger and my Thunder never misses.

How can you compare these two?

And I'm not advocating Rain Dance or anything, just drawing on the comparison to reveal how poor Gravity is. How about Air Balloon Tyranitar + Choice Band Excadrill for example. Even Trick Room is miles better than Gravity. I'm not saying Gravity isn't a fun gimmick but it's nothing more than that. It's not 'amazing' or 'near broken' as you claim.
---
PSN/X-Box:- HydroDragon95
White Friend Code:- 0690 7918 2154
#10wutzgoodPosted 7/16/2012 5:56:37 PM
HydroDragon posted...
wutzgood posted...
Mikey_R posted...
I think you missed the bit where they said it was a doubles team.


It's true. Gravity and zap canon/dynamic punch can be used the same turn in doubles so there isn't a 2 turn setup.


You're not getting it. It's still a waste of 2 turns no matter what kind of battle it is. The fact that it's a double battle doesn't matter. You don't get enough return off of gravity. It's simply a weak field effect.

Lets see here, 2 Pokemon use Gravity and Zap Cannon. There's an 83% chance that the combination will hit 1 Pokemon with a powerful electric attack and paralyze it. 17% nothing happens. Gravity is in effect so for 5 turns you can try to use 83% accurate Dynamicpunch/Zap Cannon/etc.

On the other hand, 2 Pokemon use Rain Dance and Thunder. 100% chance that the combination will hit 1 Pokemon with a powerful electric attack and 30% chance it'll be paralyzed. Rain is in effect for 5 turns so my team is now twice as fast, my water attacks are 50% stronger and my Thunder never misses.

How can you compare these two?

And I'm not advocating Rain Dance or anything, just drawing on the comparison to reveal how poor Gravity is. How about Air Balloon Tyranitar + Choice Band Excadrill for example. Even Trick Room is miles better than Gravity. I'm not saying Gravity isn't a fun gimmick but it's nothing more than that. It's not 'amazing' or 'near broken' as you claim.


Because with gravity they could still run another weather condition and stop it from raining. Then they still have the gravity boost plus the bonus from whatever weather they are using. How can you not see that?
---
I'm calling you an elitist, but I'm just gonna go ahead and leave a snooty remark as I go. I am wutz good
SS FC: 4598 9525 2106 Black 0991 3491 6739