This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A change I'd like to see in this generation in the way the Speed system works.

#1TheExperimentorPosted 5/25/2010 12:29:55 AM
In the first four generations of Pokémon, which Pokémon attacks first in battle is completely dependent on the Pokémon's Speed. Whichever of the two Pokémon facing each other has the highest Speed (even if it's only one point faster) ALWAYS attacks first no matter what (disregarding priority moves), even if one Pokémon's Speed is only one point higher than that of the other's. As a result, I believe there is a flaw in the way the Speed system works in Pokémon.

This system has made it so that out of the six Pokémon stats, an unproportional amount of emphasis and importance is placed on the Speed stat, as observed by people's choice of Pokémon, EV spreads and Natures when team building and battling. Almost all offensive-oriented Pokémon are given a lot of EVs for Speed (if not 252 EVs, and maybe even a Speed-boosting nature), while Speed affects people's choice of Pokémon to a far greater degree than any other stat. After all, a few extra points of Speed allowing one to always attack first against a slower opponent (and possibly even KO them before they can attack) is a far greater advantage than a few extra points of Attack or Special Attack to allow a Pokémon to deal slightly more damage to the opponent (unless it is a situation in which the extra Attack/Special Attack changes the number of hits needed to KO a specific Pokémon).

The emphasis on Speed in Pokémon battling is also even more noticeable in the way in which some Pokémon are given a very specific amount of Speed EVs just so it can be a single point faster than another commonly-used Pokémon, and this simply shows how "cheap" the Speed system can be - regardless of whether Pokémon A is 1 point faster than Pokémon B or if it's 100 points faster, the advantage is still the same - being able to attack first.

This can be observed in Garchomp's banishment from the overused tier - with many people agreeing that a large reason contributing to this is its 102 base Speed, a minimum number which allows it to always attack before many other Pokémon, while at the same time allowing it to save up stat points for other areas as well, such as offense and defense. No other stats work in the same way as Speed... there is a clear difference between being hit by a Pokémon with 200 Attack and being hit by a Pokémon with 400 Attack. But as long as one Pokémon is faster than another, how much faster it is is completely irrelevant.

I have already addressed all the problems in this system, and I'll now propose a change for Generation V. If anything, I believe this should be the "major change" in Generation V (equivalent to Generation II's Special stat split, Generation III's EVs and Natures, and Generation IV's physical/special attack change).
---
As the most powerful trainer and as the POKeMON LEAGUE CHAMPION...
I, LANCE, the dragon master, accept your challenge!
#2TheExperimentor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2010 12:30:57 AM
Which Pokémon attacks first in battle should still be based on the two Pokémon's Speed... but not in the same way as before. Whereas the faster Pokémon ALWAYS attacks first in previous generations, both Pokémon should have a chance of attacking first in this generation, with the chances being affected by the Pokémon's Speed. For example, if Pokémon A and Pokémon B have exactly the same Speed and face off in battle, they should each have a 50% chance of attacking first, as in previous generations. However, if Pokémon A is faster than Pokémon B, then it should no longer always attack before Pokémon B. Instead, Pokémon A's chances of attacking first should be based on this formula:

Pokémon A's current Speed / (Pokémon A's current Speed + Pokémon B's current Speed) = Pokémon A's chance of attacking first.

So for example, Pokémon A has 299 Speed, while Pokémon B has 289 Speed. If they battle, then the above formula should be applied to determine which attacks first:

299 / (299 + 289) = 0.50850340136

Therefore, Pokémon A has a 50.85% chance of attacking first, while Pokémon B's chance of attacking first is 49.15%

So, because the Speed difference between the two Pokémon is very small, Pokémon A has a very slightly higher chance of attacking before Pokémon B. The previous system in which Pokémon A ALWAYS attacks first just because its base stats are distributed in such a way so that its Speed is higher is quite ridiculous, in my opinion. With this new system, Speed is not only no longer as overemphasized as before, but now there is actually meaning to a Pokémon having MUCH higher Speed than the other, as the bigger the difference between two Pokémon's Speed, the more likely one Pokémon will attack before the other. Now, every single point of Speed counts for something, just like it is the case for every other stat, unlike before, when the only point of Speed that counts is the one that allows one Pokémon to outpace the other.
---
As the most powerful trainer and as the POKeMON LEAGUE CHAMPION...
I, LANCE, the dragon master, accept your challenge!
#3Mario_BonesPosted 5/25/2010 12:37:31 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea. Much more thought out and reasonable than others on this board...
---
People are separated into two categories- those who've played The World Ends With You and Phoenix Wright, and those who don't get into heaven.
#4ssbmchanpPosted 5/25/2010 12:39:53 AM
Write a letter to nintendo. I mean a kid got a DS, what do you have to lose? Might I had your solution adds radomness to the game, that won't blow over to well for some
---
Plat: FC: 2536 1723 2238
HG: FC: 4984 7301 8053
#5LuminousMeteorPosted 5/25/2010 12:40:12 AM
I completely disagree with TC. In most RPGs the speed system is same as in pokemon.
I have played an MMORPG similar to your suggestion about speed and it takes away the tactic a lot.
---
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals <3
#6LightningHawk90Posted 5/25/2010 12:43:25 AM
TC, write a letter, This is a great idea.
---
Platinum FC: 4941 7275 8267
#7Furikuri_flclPosted 5/25/2010 12:49:46 AM
Wow, that's actually a really good idea. It would go a long way to making battles more fair and less dependent on IV's and natures.

Too bad it's not gonna happen.
---
CAPTAIN PLANET!! Protect the environment or I'll ******* kill you!
Last game I finished:Pixeljunk Shooter.
#8BcoopahPosted 5/25/2010 12:50:10 AM
I also don't get why its a turn based.
I know this topic has been posted everywhere but if your speed is twice as high as your opponents then shouldn't you be able to get twice as many hits in
#9TheExperimentor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2010 12:54:05 AM
OK, I'll write to Nintendo if I have time.
---
As the most powerful trainer and as the POKeMON LEAGUE CHAMPION...
I, LANCE, the dragon master, accept your challenge!
#10LuminousMeteorPosted 5/25/2010 12:55:28 AM
I also don't get why its a turn based.
I know this topic has been posted everywhere but if your speed is twice as high as your opponents then shouldn't you be able to get twice as many hits in


That would be the ATB system( active time bar) It's like semi turn-based. Pokemon is turn-based and should not be semi turn-based nor have a range of speed in which there is a certain % for slower to go first.
---
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals <3