Any anime that closely resembles Corpse Party???

#1twisthopperPosted 7/20/2012 1:47:43 PM
i'm wondering if there are any - something that can make you feel unsettled or feel uncomfortable when seeing a corpse or the face of a ghost, or maybe the haunting music that will keep you on your toes?

I guess the closest one is Death Note, as there are shinigamis there, but I actually find Ryuk to be kinda cute...
---
We're all a little twisted...
#2AjogamerPosted 7/20/2012 1:55:42 PM
Closest I can think of would be Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. The setting's rather different, but the horror's pretty good at points. It's the only anime I've seen that's actually managed to scare me. Overall, it's less of a horror than Corpse Party, though that's not a bad thing, since the story, characters, and mystery are quite good.
#3Shoot the WorksPosted 7/20/2012 2:00:20 PM
Death Note is not horror. The two that I can think of off the top of my head that give off a somewhat similar feel are Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry in the U.S.; the only genuinely creepy anime I've found) and Umineko no Naku Koro ni (only really at the beginning). Saikano is good if what you want is despair, but it's not horror.

Good horror like Corpse Party is really hard to find in non-game video media in general. Time constraints generally cut out a lot of what's necessary to tell a good horror story, so you end up with a cheesy slasher, or something that just completely flops at everything. Higurashi does everything well, but suffers from an inherent flaw in the story where it's really a mystery, not horror; it just plays out as horror for most of the story because you don't know what's really going on until halfway through the second series (though they drop all kinds of hints).
#4twisthopper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2012 2:13:20 PM
The reason why I thought of Death Note was greatly due to its music - there were some moments where it affects greatly the mood of the show and in a way, I felt the same for Corpse Party. Oh, and Light's laugh was very good in a disturbing way.

I'll check out Higurashi - thanks for the suggestions!!
---
We're all a little twisted...
#5TrueScissorsmanPosted 7/20/2012 3:41:22 PM
Boogiepop Phantom?
#6Shoot the WorksPosted 7/20/2012 4:06:32 PM
^Tried to watch that one, really couldn't get into it. It didn't strike me as being particularly scary, suspenseful, or anything, really; it's why I didn't mention it. It's likely a problem of the adaptation, as happens with a lot of anime.

I've made an effort to watch most of what gets labeled as horror; most of it is either mislabeled or bad. I'm beginning to think good horror outside of books and games is impossible to find. Higurashi comes close, but that really is only because of the way it's presented; unlike a real horror story, everything changes once you've seen the whole story once. But, again, Higurashi isn't really horror; it just seems that way until you put all the pieces together.

Another looks promising, though I've heard it has some pacing problems; I'll probably give it a look sometime.
#7TrueScissorsmanPosted 7/26/2012 2:15:34 PM
In that case, watch Berserk anime.
#8solidoutlawPosted 7/26/2012 6:09:09 PM
I heard Another is pretty good and has a similar style of story, though I haven't seen it myself because for some reason, I force myself to finish what I start and that means I have to finish hell girl. Ugh.
---
PSN: rayplay
"Wow, there's more hate in here than a K K K meeting!"
#9PeckingBirdPosted 7/26/2012 6:12:44 PM
twisthopper posted...
i'm wondering if there are any - something that can make you feel unsettled or feel uncomfortable when seeing a corpse or the face of a ghost, or maybe the haunting music that will keep you on your toes?

I guess the closest one is Death Note, as there are shinigamis there, but I actually find Ryuk to be kinda cute...

Go watch Chaos;Head NOW!!
---
Shadow Trixie
#10Shoot the WorksPosted 7/26/2012 6:17:03 PM
PeckingBird posted...
Go play Chaos;Head NOW!!

Fixed.