Portal 2 map editor!

#1UWantFryzWitDatPosted 4/1/2011 8:03:41 AM

Will there be a map editor? Because of the type of puzzle solving game it is, single player has almost zero replayability.

#2HadriPosted 4/1/2011 9:48:41 AM
You replay it for the story silly!

I recall that there was supposed to be something like that. It would allow multiplayer mode to be expanded by third party developers, anyway. You can make Portal maps in Source SDK so there's that, but a proper editor WOULD make it a little more user friendly.
---
Fight the orbits as they drive us
#3LyricaliasPosted 4/1/2011 11:05:09 AM(edited)
Have you played Portal 1? Even though it had little story, it was one of the most replayable games of all time. Puzzle games are no less replayable than adventure games, shooters or RPGs.

Now that we have an immense amount of dialog/plot, this game will be plenty replayable.

But to answer your question, there's already a map editor; the Hammer Editor.

---
Signature seized by Cryptospuridium.
~R.I.P.
#4simsmagicPosted 4/3/2011 8:55:01 PM
You replay it because it's fun to mess around in!

Besides, judging Valve, I'm sure that they will release an SDK for it.

When they release it remains to be seen, of course.
#5UWantFryzWitDat(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2011 1:46:21 AM
Ok what I meant was Once you solve the puzzle, you know how to solve it, so even though the puzzles are pretty easy, what little sense of accomplishment you get after figuring it out is gone, or at least greatly diminished. Yeah I was hoping they would offer something a little more user friendly where you could just turn on the game, look at the layout of some new maps, and click download.
#6DanspurtPosted 4/4/2011 2:55:22 AM(edited)
A more user friendly interface would be nice. I've played a lot of ridiculous TF2 maps and mods, but that's simply been because I could find them in the server list and just join the server to have the necessary files downloaded. Having to manually download Portal maps into the game folder is more of a nuisance.

It if isn't in the released version of Portal 2, I hope they will add something in a future update.
---
Stand aside, tubby! You're stepping on a midget with money!
#7UOTY2011Posted 4/4/2011 8:41:50 PM

Yeah I was hoping they would offer something a little more user friendly where you could just turn on the game, look at the layout of some new maps, and click download

Yeah that would be a pretty cool feature for all source games, but fpsbanana is good enough
---
_foolmo_
'I mean, what does electricity have to do with math besides calculators?' - ZeldaFreak29
#8HT89488Posted 4/5/2011 1:20:43 PM

I could just see it now, people making puzzles and uploading them to XBL, ..................many many hours later.......

the creator forgot to or never added a exit.

#9WikedsDerpPosted 4/5/2011 11:35:53 PM
It's a Source game, that's all you really need to say. Source SDK isn't the traditional "map editior" but Portal Flash and Portal Prelude have shown me that there are some amazing people out there, so I'm not worried for a lack of maps
#10BeriornPosted 4/6/2011 9:35:29 AM
You can use Hammer to make your own maps.

But yeah, something of the likes of Garry's Mod's Toybox would be very welcome.
---
"Oh yeah!"
~ Lucius the Eternal on most things.