Disappointed in ending *spoilers

#1Metroidfan3724Posted 7/23/2012 11:47:30 PM
Well, I remember that in chapter 6 or 7 Cave says that the blue gel kills tumors if I'm not mistaken, and GLaDOS mentions that Wheatley was a "tumor" made to make her less intelligent. So, I was hoping that in the end Wheatley would die by being exposed to the blue gel in some clever ways involving portals or something. Instead we got a boring ending where it uses all 3 gels in a way that's easier than the test chambers with gel in them.I seriously never died once during the final battle, but in the original Portal it took me 3 tries to defeat glados. Also, I kinda hate that the final battle was revolved around all the gel, it all seems much too gimmicky. I mean, blue gel would've been great since it was mentioned in the dialogue, but all three made for a disappointing final battle for me.
#2tacoslayer89Posted 7/24/2012 10:50:08 AM
how did it take you 3 tries to defeat Glados in the first portal?
You get the cores and throw them in the incinerator.
---
They call me...Yellow Skinned Wacky Man!
GT: SlaykSerr789
#3JPawesomePosted 8/10/2012 9:32:53 AM
tacoslayer89 posted...
how did it take you 3 tries to defeat Glados in the first portal?
You get the cores and throw them in the incinerator.

You have 5 minutes to do so, some of the cores take some thinking to reach (namely the last core, which floats in midair), and all the portal-surfaces are black or dark grey (which confuses people, because you usually shoot portals onto white things).

Also, it can take a moment or two to find where to put the portal for the rocket so it hits GLaDOS (especially once she starts rocking around towards the end).

Oh yes, and the rocket might kill you if you drop your controller or something.
---
GamerTag: MasterRaptor77
#4mignoncurieuxPosted 8/23/2012 11:09:56 PM
Yeah Portal 1 was overall more difficult for me, but I wasn't used to that type of game as well. I wasn't as disappointed as you were though, but I liked Wheatley, so I wouldn't have wanted him to die. >.>
---
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/sickoftheotherme/colinjimjohn.jpg
#5tony8669Posted 8/27/2012 4:43:06 PM
I also thought it was nice that Wheatley said he was sorry. I actually liked him as well.

Even though he was a doofus, he seemed like a genuinely good AI. He just went mad with all that power... and he wasn't created to have that kind of power.

Also, it's possible even GladOS went nuts with the power. Maybe that's why she let Chel go- she realized she wouldn't be able to control herself, and eventually would start testing on her again (you can weigh the validity of other theories on her possible relationship to Chel for yourself).
#6ArkhamEscapeePosted 8/28/2012 12:36:30 AM
Metroidfan3724 posted...
Well, I remember that in chapter 6 or 7 Cave says that the blue gel kills tumors if I'm not mistaken

You're mistaken. He's talking about something else in the test; the chamber he says it in just happens to use blue gel. The two are unrelated.
---
PSN Agnol117
http://agnolsfiction.tumblr.com/ <-- My fiction blog
#7BLAHMASTERPosted 8/29/2012 8:49:48 AM
Maybe if there were other "boss fights" in the portal games, I would feel more compelled to critique them as good or bad or too hard or easy. The endings to me just seemed like one way to end the game/story with the player actually involved. The rest of each game has a different focus.
---
It doesn't have to make sense.
#8ConmorfilmsPosted 9/26/2012 12:47:43 PM
They wanted a way that would defeat Wheatly without killing him, and without keeping him in the building. This is what they came up with, and I thought that it was really fun, in addition to being related to the plot. I wish that they could make a third one though, *Insert joke about Valve not being able to count to three here*