Need help with wards

#1razorracerPosted 2/7/2012 5:46:40 PM
The lockpicking mechanics I get (why they would make Skyrim's already easy system of lockpicking much easier I will never understand), but the wards system I don't understand. They say to press the A button (Xbox 360 controller) when the circle goes over a ward, but they don't explain what to look for when pressing them. Anyone who's nailed the wards system care to explain how I'm supposed to do it?
---
PC specs: AMD A6 3600 with AMD Radeon Graphics, 8GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6770, Corsair CX 500 watt PSU
#2dekouPosted 2/7/2012 5:59:33 PM
Look for round, violet buttons with signs on them. Press your controller's button when the white circle is over one of those signs to tag it. You have to tag all signs to dispel the ward. Once a sign is tagged, a blue circle starts forming around it. Once the circle is full, the sign becomes untagged and you have to tag it again.
#3YgdradPosted 2/7/2012 6:05:07 PM(edited)
For some reason I get some odd input lag when trying to dispel wards. Not sure if other people do too. It makes me have to press the button in advance, just before the circles touch or just as they start overlapping, otherwise it just activates one past the circle, usually with unpleasant, expensive results.

The input lag in that minigame was the main source of my confusion at first since nothing seemed to work.
#4MartynitemarePosted 2/7/2012 6:04:16 PM
Okay first, the Ward system sucks hardcore imo. The cursor will spin clockwise around the circle, and you have to time your button presses to trigger each rune. When those runes are triggered, they stay active for a brief time before returning to inactive. However what the game only touches upon is that there's an order to them, the single-edged runes come first, with the doubles and then the elaborate rune last.

Essentially, you have a moment to look at the layout, figure out the button timings that will activate the first round of runes, then have to tap those and hit the others right after to open the lock. I've only managed to do this once successfully in countless attempts.

Oh, and later... they add 'Mines' to the runes, so off-timed button presses add even more penalty. I cannot for the life of me figure out how they made the lockpicking so easy and the dispelling soo so hard by comparison. Generally now I just hit the "Force Dispel" option knowing it will fail, and just eat the curse to see what's inside the box.
---
Coarse and violent nudity. Occasional language.
#5dekouPosted 2/7/2012 6:07:51 PM
I just ignore anything that's not "easy" or "very easy" to dispel. You get more than enough loot using Detect Hidden.
#6razorracer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2012 6:09:07 PM
Okay, I got the gist of how to do it for very easy and easy wards. The timing you need to press A is ridiculous, though.
---
PC specs: AMD A6 3600 with AMD Radeon Graphics, 8GB RAM, XFX Radeon HD 6770, Corsair CX 500 watt PSU
#7Ant0n89Posted 2/7/2012 6:22:07 PM

I just use Auto-dispell, as long as you're at full health you will survive and you can still open the chest even if it blows up, but I think you get small XP for a successful dispell.

#8Riony1Posted 2/8/2012 7:11:41 PM
Ygdrad posted...
For some reason I get some odd input lag when trying to dispel wards. Not sure if other people do too. It makes me have to press the button in advance, just before the circles touch or just as they start overlapping, otherwise it just activates one past the circle, usually with unpleasant, expensive results.

The input lag in that minigame was the main source of my confusion at first since nothing seemed to work.

I'm right with you. There's an unusual lag while using the controller at least, haven't tried keyboard/mouse. Game runs perfectly otherwise though.
#9SupaTrupaPosted 2/8/2012 7:38:36 PM

I don't have a problem with lag, but I put a point into Dispel and will probably put another one or two into it for kicks - your chance of auto dispelling goes way up for the easy ones and even at a 20% chance I was able to auto one already. 

What SUCKS is the curses you get - right now my mana is on constant drain-o until I find a healer, and I am in the first main quest dungeon with the drunk fateweaver - oh well. 

#10egervari3Posted 2/8/2012 7:55:38 PM(edited)
I get the input lag too.

The solution, at least from what I figured out, is to press the button literally "one circle" worth of space before the actual circle you want to press. I know this is confusing as hell, but once you teach yourself to press it just 1 space before, you'll get it.

I think this is something that'll get patched most certainly in the future as it's clearly a bug (one of the few in the game from what I've experienced).