Will it work on Steam if I order from Amazon's digital download service?

#1sleepybuddhaPosted 1/18/2012 1:36:37 AM
I know the digital download service provides cd keys, but i know steam only takes cd keys from other retailers for certain games. Anyone know the answer?
#2barkerbPosted 1/18/2012 2:09:19 AM
sleepybuddha posted...
I know the digital download service provides cd keys, but i know steam only takes cd keys from other retailers for certain games. Anyone know the answer?

I had asked something similar earlier and this is what was given to me ;

arovin posted...
I asked through twitter and the official response was that the keys from boxed copies can only be redeemed through Origin and not through Steam.

You do not have to install Origin you still have the option to just play from the disk as well.
#3MatrixPosted 1/18/2012 7:22:04 AM
That's an interesting fact. Hmmm I may do that then since I can usually find retail versions for cheaper. Pretty cool that all of the retail versions will work on Origin.
#4Lord BladePosted 1/18/2012 7:23:39 AM
So wait, if you buy a boxed copy, you HAVE to use Origin?

If I get the Amazon digital copy, will that work on Steam? Or am I stuck using that useless Origin system?
---
Are today's games made for 1 armed, drunken kids with downs-syndrome? - krazy168
The politically correct term is "casual gamer" - wubikens
#5MatrixPosted 1/18/2012 7:24:18 AM
Lord Blade posted...
So wait, if you buy a boxed copy, you HAVE to use Origin?

If I get the Amazon digital copy, will that work on Steam? Or am I stuck using that useless Origin system?

You do not have to install Origin you still have the option to just play from the disk as well.
#6Lord BladePosted 1/18/2012 7:34:12 AM
Yeah, but I'm asking about Amazon's digital copy.
Can that be registered on Steam? Or does it force you to use Origin?
---
Are today's games made for 1 armed, drunken kids with downs-syndrome? - krazy168
The politically correct term is "casual gamer" - wubikens
#7involutionPosted 1/18/2012 9:37:32 AM
I asked the question (about Steam integration after an Amazon download) on the official forums, which at the moment are down for "brief" maintenance. You might want to ask there yourselves to speed up a possible reply from the chief moderator (Muse):

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2170-Steam-pre-order-bonuses