No potion run? Or wait till mods/patch?

#1professor xPosted 2/7/2012 5:50:28 PM
I'm thinking about restarting my mage because the combat is getting really stale. I started on hard mode right away and I literally can not die with just a couple pots in stock. I thought the game would change as I progress, my character is about lvl 12 now and nothing has changed. Ai is still stupid, takes forever to hit you, even orange/bosses enemies can be stunlocked to death. I think I fought one actual boss (special health bar displayed on screen) and it died in 4 seconds ... literally.

At the very least when the enemies do hit, they should hit hard, like demon soul hard. So I didn't bother upgrading my armor that much and some enemies ex. Ettin shaman can actually take out 80% of my HP with a single lighting bolt. Though with health pots it doesn't matter unless its a 1 hit kill. Lucky mages have a heal spell that is actually quite balanced, so I thought to manual remove my health pots and only use the heal spell, then I actually did manage to die to a shaman/wolf group.

Basically, I thought about redoing the entire game with no heal pots whatsoever. The early game were easy enough even without any heal, and once I get the heal spell it should be just like a normal game. The question is, should I bother to specifically gimp myself this way? Or wait for a patch/mod to add actual difficulty so I'm not under god mode 24/7?
---
Reality is defined by your imagination, the catch is to convince yourself what is and what is not.
#2Master1ChefPosted 2/7/2012 6:11:08 PM(edited)
Dark souls is probably one of the hardest games available....so maybe you should write a letter to all gaming companies telling them to make harder games.
---
<3 Flank Steak
#3professor x(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2012 6:44:29 PM
Even if a patch/mod made enemies hit as hard as demon/dark souls, it will be nowhere near the difficulty. DS enemies do not wait 3 seconds before attacking, nor do they get stunlocked with just about everything. They also have the tendency to chase you to the end of earth so you can't cheese them out with hit and run. You also can not spam dodge non-stop.

KoA can have its own difficulty as par typical WRPG standard. Though right now there are some glaring weakness and since KoA is build around combat, not open world exploration like Skyrim, something should be done.
---
Reality is defined by your imagination, the catch is to convince yourself what is and what is not.
#4YgdradPosted 2/7/2012 6:58:37 PM
Master1Chef posted...
Dark souls is probably one of the hardest games available....so maybe you should write a letter to all gaming companies telling them to make harder games.

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls aren't really amongst the "hardest" games. What they are is some of the most "unforgiving" games. Once you learn how the combat works it's fairly easy. The game is simply waiting for you to mess up to ruin your day. Dark Souls was more forgiving than Demons Souls though.
#5Jrock1019Posted 2/7/2012 7:48:50 PM
Master1Chef posted...

IMO Dark/Demon's Souls is more of a "are you retarded" check than a real challenge. I'm really not trying to be "super hardcore" here, but I never got stuck on a single boss in either of those games for more than half an hour of playtime. All you have to do is learn their moves and when to block/dodge. Once you do that you're gravy.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty disappointed with the difficulty in KOA. Given, I haven't played it for that long, but it seems as if they pulled a Skyrim and made it so that increasing the "difficulty" only means giving enemies more HP and making them hit a little bit harder. Again, this is just a fairly early impression for me, so maybe (hopefully) it will get better.
---
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men." - John F. Kennedy
#6Bea5TPosted 2/7/2012 8:24:17 PM(edited)

Master1Chef posted...

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls aren't really amongst the "hardest" games. What they are is some of the most "unforgiving" games. Once you learn how the combat works it's fairly easy. The game is simply waiting for you to mess up to ruin your day. Dark Souls was more forgiving than Demons Souls though.

How many recent action rpg games are harder than dark souls/demon souls?
---
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3935/23746702.png
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8449/top1j.png http://imageshack.us/m/832/3774/kobedunk.jpg
#7YgdradPosted 2/7/2012 9:06:51 PM(edited)
Bea5T posted...

How many recent action rpg games are harder than dark souls/demon souls?

Action RPG's aren't the right place to look for difficulty, neither are recent games. You'll find challenging titles in that category can be counted on your fingers.

Almost all games one would consider "hard" will simply come down to 3 steps
1- puzzle-solving/Analysis : Finding out the patterns
2- Memory test: Remembering the patterns
3- Coordination/muscle memory: Replication of winning pattern, or ability to press buttons fast enough/with the right timing.

At that point you either fail to some degree at one of those 3, or get easy mode.

The 2 DS games have fairly simple patterns, combat is easy to figure out if you just stop and watch what's going on for a moment. The only thing you need to remember is to block/dodge until the enemy creates an opening, and unless you're going for parries or trying to dodge a few nasty moves, the execution isn't even that hard. The only thing those games excel at is the harshness with which they punish mistakes.

The only thing stopping people from learning, and therefore ascending to easy mode, is the fact that the game sets you pretty far back when you fail, preventing you from getting enough experience with problems like bosses and making the time between attempts too long, making you forget some of the stuff you might have learned from them while busy fighting your way back to the problem.

Lets try to get this back onto the rails though.

I'm not extremely far either, only around lv10 on 2 characters, and the only fight which actually gave me trouble was when I messed up real bad and aggroed a tresh and troll at once, both orange name with 3-4 wolves. The constant attack spam was annoying to time my own attacks through.

Otherwise, hasn't been much of a challenge so far, so i trying to pull off fancy combos without getting hit to spice things up.
#8seriviusPosted 2/13/2012 2:12:50 AM
I found the same problem myself, I felt the game was far too easy - but at around level 15 its slowly started ramping up.

I am playing finesse/sorc > daggers only/spells wearing rogue-type leather with crit strike to suit my RP style.

I found pure sorc far too powerful, the spells are too strong (pitifully easy cc with all your aoes) and gives you a tonne of reaction time to dodge everything (because you are ranged) pretty easily. Mixing mostly dagger dps with spells/traps to disrupt or stun (vs groups) is alot more fun as well imo, than just spamming lightning/fire spells over and over.

The mob HP is ramping up with the orange/yellows now im at lvl 17, and when you cant just K.O a whole group with 'spell locks' the groups of 4 or 5 mobs are becoming increasingly hard to deal with.
#9JamieK1981Posted 2/13/2012 3:36:23 AM
Well, from experience with other people complaining about games being too easy, those complaining tend to be those that powerlevel, as in, they spec the absolute best spec possible for their class of choice and go out of their way to get the utmost best gear.

In those situations, everything will be considered too easy, maybe instead of going the utmost best route, try, doing what an average player would do and just play the game and spec the way you want instead of the BEST spec.

If you enjoy powerleveling, then its your own fault, not the games' fault.
#10NoturnuzPosted 2/20/2012 3:32:22 PM
There are people who can't tolerate easy games. I get bored when I play a game that does not chalenge me. All we want is a hard mode. That will affect you easy gamers in any way. Stop complaining.