lockpicking worth it?

#1gungrave515Posted 2/8/2012 9:52:06 PM
or is it like skyrim where i can just buy enough lock picks and use skill to open anything?
or is it more like how fallout was where you actually need skill in lock pick to open higher level locks?

dont want to waste anypoints because i also want detect hidden and blacksmithing.
---
lindblum
name : coyote balfour
#2KrazytigerEXPosted 2/8/2012 9:53:30 PM
skyrim style
---
Math illiteracy affects 8 out of every 5 people, If you are not one of them, put this in your sig!!!
#3gungrave515(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2012 9:54:26 PM
fantastic.
thank you for the speedy reply
---
lindblum
name : coyote balfour
#4MakeHatePosted 2/8/2012 10:03:41 PM
Its even easier than skyrims. It seems like most of them work at the beginning/default position.
---
10/4/10 - The day a modded message that I disputed was overturned by another mod. I finally won!
#5MarikhenPosted 2/11/2012 7:39:37 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say it's easier. For starters lockpicks break almost instantly when you hit a "rough" patch. You get just as much resistance and chance of snapping, which is damned near 100%, from a "very easy" lock as you do from an "average" lock. Worse it seems like you might also get less experience given that I just popped an "average" lock and got 18xp compared to 38xp for popping a "very easy" lock just a few minutes earlier.

The really annoying part is that even if you have a 100% chance to force a lock you can still snap picks on it just as easily as if you had no (real) chance of popping it. >.>
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#6CyoXPosted 2/11/2012 7:41:57 PM
what game are you playing? none of that is true.
#7cgwhite85Posted 2/11/2012 7:42:12 PM
dont put a single pt in lockpicking. If you get a book or want to purchase training go ahead but the skill is not worth it at all. With 2 pts in the skill I can pick "very hard" chests with less than 3 picks on average.
#8MarikhenPosted 2/11/2012 8:00:40 PM
CyoX posted...
what game are you playing? none of that is true.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and if none of it is true then why did a "very easy" lock yield 38xp while an "average" lock yielded 18? Why am I just as likely to snap picks from one lock to the next regardless of difficulty of the lock or lockpicking skill? Why do lockpicks vibrate 3-4x, taking less than a second to do so, before snapping regardless of lock difficulty or skill level?

/shrugs. Kingdoms of Amalur's lockpicking system is, frankly, much less forgiving than Skyrim's, and Skyrim's was much less forgiving than Fallout 3's. I even decided to try it out with my 360 controller on the off chance that analog controls would work better than digital, but it felt, if it wasn't actually in fact, worse doing it that way.

That's not to say it's difficult, merely costly in terms of picks and quite frustrating.

cgwhite85 posted...
dont put a single pt in lockpicking. If you get a book or want to purchase training go ahead but the skill is not worth it at all. With 2 pts in the skill I can pick "very hard" chests with less than 3 picks on average.

You'd have a point if you were trying to min/max in a game that didn't have a built-in respecialization feature, but this game does have one. Between that and what's been said on this board about how useless money becomes in the game I don't see any point in not (ab)using that system.

Re-spec. to blacksmithing, alchemy, sagecrafting, or whatever when you want to craft something and switch back to sneak/lockpicking/detect hidden/whatever for when you go out into the field.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#9LobsterDandyPosted 2/11/2012 8:05:17 PM
Yeah, I no skill needed. I don't even know what I'm doing (I missed the tip about how the mini game is actually supposed to work - I'm not sure if there's some sort of audio cue that I've got the pick in the right place or what) and I can open up hard locks with a few tries.
---
I believe in Artemis Hound & John Magnum
The heroes 215 deserve.
#10FuryPosted 2/11/2012 8:42:04 PM
All you have to do is tap the key and you'll be able to watch the tension without snapping the pick.
---
All your oil are belong to U.S.