Difficulty patch

#1Hoarf4faqsPosted 3/10/2012 9:07:54 AM
Has anyone tested http://amalurfoundry.com/archives/1352#more-1352?
#2SilentHawk29Posted 3/10/2012 12:45:25 PM
Too many stupid changes for me to want to use it.

-Decreasing your damage isn't a level of difficulty, neither is multiplying damage if you wear +HP gear. That effectively makes some gear pretty useless, such as +damage, +crit, +HP, and +HP regen.

-Decreasing gold doesn't help either as gems are extremely easy to craft and sell for a ton, even if the price is cut in half.

-The fact that they recommend you cut your exp in half is another stupid thing, considering the game actually gets harder the more you level.

-Cutting MP in half and increasing MP costs does nothing. Getting a single item with drain MP counters both of those, same with mana potions. Not only that, but that's a stupid change to begin with. No one wants to constantly do basic attacks as they don't have the MP to use the abilities they learned.

-Minimum damage per hit for weaker areas to make things stronger is ridiculous. It's an RPG, a player would probably want to feel as if he or she is progressing in the game and not go back to Gorhart and die to Boggarts.

Only things I even agree with in that patch are increased incoming damage across the board and having enemies attack more frequently while in groups. Everything else is just increased tedium.
---
PSN - Srikar || -------- || Asus G73 Laptop: 1.6GHz core i7, 6GB 1333MHz RAM,
ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 1GB GDDR5, 500GB 7200RPM Seagate HDD
#3GaMEQB11Posted 3/11/2012 8:59:32 AM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Too many stupid changes for me to want to use it.

-Decreasing your damage isn't a level of difficulty, neither is multiplying damage if you wear +HP gear. That effectively makes some gear pretty useless, such as +damage, +crit, +HP, and +HP regen.

-Decreasing gold doesn't help either as gems are extremely easy to craft and sell for a ton, even if the price is cut in half.

-The fact that they recommend you cut your exp in half is another stupid thing, considering the game actually gets harder the more you level.

-Cutting MP in half and increasing MP costs does nothing. Getting a single item with drain MP counters both of those, same with mana potions. Not only that, but that's a stupid change to begin with. No one wants to constantly do basic attacks as they don't have the MP to use the abilities they learned.

-Minimum damage per hit for weaker areas to make things stronger is ridiculous. It's an RPG, a player would probably want to feel as if he or she is progressing in the game and not go back to Gorhart and die to Boggarts.

Only things I even agree with in that patch are increased incoming damage across the board and having enemies attack more frequently while in groups. Everything else is just increased tedium.

nah, dont listen to this poster.

heart-core DOES make a difference. It definitely adds to the challenge.

1. The damage increase can be a pain (i modded it down to 150%). Strong creatures will 1shot you with most of their attacks, BUT when you learn the attack wind up its all about timing to avoid getting hit. I mean really, should your hero survive being smashed into the ground anyway? You have to be very surgical when fighting large enemies, you cant get hit at ALL. -or you can use a potion that decreases damage (theyre usefull now!)'

Smaller enemies will kill you with a full combo. Wolves become VERY dangerous!! All in all, i think it adds to the fun of the game. Most fights you have to finish unscathed. it really adds to that bad ass feeling when you become proficient at finishing a group without them landing a hit or two on you. To me it makes sense too- a real hero wouldnt really survive getting hit so many times in a fight.

when fighting bandits, you NEED to take out the archers. You'll actually want to stealth as many of them as you can, especially those archers. stealth becomes useful now. Even low enemies can surprise you if you get too careless, they wont 1shot you, but can still do heavy damage if you get surrounded.

the only con really is that you cant walk through acid anymore and that House of Ballads boss is nigh impossible- even fully buffed ( luckily you can just alt+tab and turn off mod temporarily)
#4GaMEQB11Posted 3/11/2012 9:37:10 AM
2. The damage decrease isnt so bad. To me it feels balanced. Larger enemies feel epic and smaller enemies take more than 1-2 combos. I definitely dont think its falls into the realm of being tedious. Its just right to me. you can still 1shot weak mobs.

Reckoning mode is now ESSENTIAL!! Its not just "win mode" anymore. You have to use it more strategically now. Sometimes you have to wait until you've weakened a mob a little before using it. The time slow and damage increase is a life saver when fighting large mobs. You have to decide, do i just kill a few enemies and deal with the last 3 on my own, or do i just weaken all of them as much as i can. Finishing a difficult mob with a well timed reckoning is VERY satisfying. ...or you can use it to dispatch that difficult troll ahead. Either way, reckoning matters now.

I even find myself farming to build up reckoning, just so i can have enough when i go into a dungeon.

The biggest con is that low level bleed items dont do much, i never noticed it much before anyway. +crit items help alot though.

3. I like the MP changes. Before as a mage, early on i never worried about mana. I could just spam mark over and over. I can actually run out of mana now but not so often to where its become annoying. Its a balance change that never really becomes annoying.

con- sustained abilities also take more mana, so they're not just set it and forget it anymore. You use a sustained ability and your mana pool takes enough of a hit to actually make you think twice about leaving them on always.
#5GaMEQB11Posted 3/11/2012 9:46:41 AM
"-Minimum damage per hit for weaker areas to make things stronger is ridiculous. It's an RPG, a player would probably want to feel as if he or she is progressing in the game and not go back to Gorhart and die to Boggarts."

you still feel like a god in Gohart. The change is not THAT drastic. It will take you simply not trying to defend at all to die. I traveled back to Gohart and didnt have a problem dispatching enemies in 1-2 hits. I did manage to get killed once when i jumped off a cliff into a mob of boggarts, that turned into two mobs then some bandits decided to join in. The ONLY reason i died was because i tried to just button mash my way through them.

again, to me it was perfectly balanced. i can easily kill them, but it takes carelessly wading into 10 or so enemies for them to take me down. I want to feel invincible because of skill and power not being able to just stand there taking negligible damage.
#6GaMEQB11Posted 3/11/2012 9:50:58 AM
tl:dr....patch is AWESOME. try it.
#7bionicman_3090Posted 3/11/2012 10:59:45 PM
Does this patch address the game-breaking glitch in the quest named "Silence Falls"? Or does anyone know when a patch that fixes this issue will be released?
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#8dontcareboutnamePosted 3/12/2012 6:43:19 AM
this is a difficulty mod, not a patch. Sorry Bionicman, the developers know about this bug already but as far as I know there is currently no eta for when this bug will be fixed.

You can try complaining at the official forums.
---
what a waste of time
#9bionicman_3090Posted 3/12/2012 11:59:01 PM
No, it's not exactly a complaint. It's more of a disappointment, actually, 'cause this being a free-roam game and the blatant glitch exists.

I've already completed the game once but had to abandon it the first time I had picked a pure Sorcery build. I had some really good gear on that character but there's no reason to play that now but I sort of have an inkling to. It's all good.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#10chickenloverXPosted 3/21/2012 5:42:24 PM
So I am thinking about getting this game, like right now, I just want to know- did they increase difficulty like in an official patch, or would a mod like the one mentioned above be my best bet for a challenging experience? thanks