Can I make my character a...?

#1mumpsy21Posted 3/17/2012 1:38:36 AM
A deadly mage-assassin? I'm still new, but the combat system is pretty interesting as it lets you combine different attacks to a variety of combos. I was just wondering if a Ninja-mage type would be a feasible build. I'm still new to the game, so I was wondering if I could go on this path.
---
Nier is best gaming I've had since KH and FFX. One that breaks my heart yet keeps it warm and hopeful and happy. We definitely need more games like this.
#2AzuricPawPosted 3/17/2012 2:25:11 AM

You definitely can! Thats what Im doing XD 

#3bionicman_3090Posted 3/17/2012 4:31:57 AM
You can go with the Finesse/Sorcery route and use Faeblades and Chakrams as your primary and secondary weapons. I've done this and it works great. Faeblades allow you to stealth-kill someone if you want as well as giving you a 360-degree angle of attack, not to mention amazing speed. Chakrams give you medium range attacks and is great for defensive combos as a power attack hits multiple opponents surrounding you.

Then you have abilities like Smoke Bomb which is Ninja'esque in a way that makes you disappear in front of others and plenty of magic spells in the Sorcery skill-tree that deal massive AoE damage. The dodge gets replaced by Blink, which is a short teleport skill that at times may seem cumbersome but once you learn how to time it, you can teleport through the opponents' bodies and get on their backside while dealing poison DoT with it.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#4mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2012 8:40:36 AM
I actually started that route before making this topic, and it's pretty successful, it is awesome being a mage + silent killer, just plain awesome.
---
Nier is best gaming I've had since KH and FFX. One that breaks my heart yet keeps it warm and hopeful and happy. We definitely need more games like this.
#5DoctorDoom80Posted 3/18/2012 8:44:45 AM(edited)
mumpsy21 posted...
I actually started that route before making this topic, and it's pretty successful, it is awesome being a mage + silent killer, just plain awesome.

Yes you can (and should) make a magical ninja like Ryu Hayabusa or something.

I recommend Daggers instead of Faeblades though.

---
*Retired from WoW*
#6FaPaThYPosted 3/18/2012 10:01:40 AM
Pretty much any spec is feasible in this game, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm doing Faeblades/Chakram, switching in daggers for silent, chain stealth kills, and it works fine. You won't have any difficulty, especially since Chakram are pretty OP on their own.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts."
"....... Are you a ****?"
#7mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 1:59:51 AM
djk2002 posted...
mumpsy21 posted...

Yes you can (and should) make a magical ninja like Ryu Hayabusa or something.

I recommend Daggers instead of Faeblades though.

Yeah, daggers have a swift, elegant touch to their kill, Faeblades just feels bulky and boring.
---
#8bionicman_3090Posted 3/19/2012 3:34:26 AM
Daggers are 1-vs-1 weapons that don't offer enough protection when you're surrounded. Faeblades are versatile, i.e., they offer good 360-degree protection when surrounded, make great, high speed weapons when you're on the offense and offer you stealth-kill ability but without the animation that Daggers come with.

It's all about your preference. Try them both. You can Fateweave later on in case you change your mind.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#9DoctorDoom80Posted 3/20/2012 9:50:40 AM
Daggers have a better charge attack that blasts through entire groups of enemies, Faeblades have the corkscrew charge attack that hits one enemy.
---
*Retired from WoW*
#10gutsthehawkPosted 3/28/2012 4:31:39 AM
if you remain hidden you get sneak attack damage on spells.
---
XBL- Htotheustler FFXI-Mourdechai/Asura WoW- Mourdechai/Azshara/Alliance
PSN-Hustlabojenkins White Knight Chronicles-Hustla lvl 47GR8 Rebirths: 1