Impressions

#1ethan3210Posted 1/19/2012 11:00:19 AM(edited)
I loved the demo, it's combat reminded me of Nier, in a way (not far enough to get into depth).

With my horrible luck, I managed to walk right into the boss room of Gorguath, and right as I began to swing my weapon... demo ended. :|

Lolz and rage were had.

In other news, did anyone notice the texture glitches? I had an enemy that stretched out across a couple hundred feet, and invisible floors below me when I left buildings that left a psychedelic feeling. Character models blurred everywhere...

Minor framerate issues as well, especially when turning the camera.
---
"Somedays, you just can't get rid of a bomb." - Batman
#2JesterSeesAllPosted 1/19/2012 11:23:32 AM
There is an article, on gametrailers I believe, that specifically addresses that bugs in the demo are known and will be fixed for the retail release. The exact link escapes me ATM, but I did read it.
---
Street Fighter 4 is the hardest fighting game to establish your own unique style in - Daigo Umehara
#3KurodaMurasakiPosted 1/19/2012 11:29:22 AM

Thanks for some honest impressions. I agree with you about everything, and I really hope this was an old build because bugs really ruin games for me. Otherwise my experience may turn out like Mass Effect; I hate it because it's a buggy mess, but I love it...

#4phoenix1289Posted 1/19/2012 11:37:44 AM
It is true that it is an old build. The lead dev Ian Frazier stated on the official boards that in order to prevent the demo from heavily impacting work on the full product they had to split it off four months ago. The split plus the old build lead to the bugs people have been experiencing. Many of those bugs though have already been fixed in the full product since that is their primary focus on making sure it is clean and running well.
---
I refuse to take this signature down until the
49ers win the superbowl
#5wentouchPosted 1/19/2012 1:15:22 PM

My first impression was that the graphics weren't great and reminded me of the graphics of Baldur's Gate on the PS2. While everything is crystal, the art still looks very first gen and comical, but perhaps that is a intended design, like Batman: AA. The characters don't look bad by any means, they just look comical.

Playing through the demo, the controls are still clunky and the character does not feel connected to the background. The non-interactiveness is in part why making much of the background just filler. It's weird seeing weapons, but not being able to pick it up.

The good is that the combat system is like Batman: AA, requiring timing and combos. It has bonuses for combos that rewards the player, which I should have been implemented in Skyrim and Dark Souls. The ability to instantly switch from primary and secondary also adds a layer of depth, allowing for unique styles of play, and another feature that should have been in Skyrim. Both bring strategy and attention which is a plus. Here, this game excels in enjoyment.

The menu system is a bit much to go through, but maybe it's just the demo. I thought Skyrim had it bad requiring the menu to be opened frequently, but the Skyrim menus, likes it's leveling system, are streamlined and simple, such as accessing everything with the X button. Reckoning has a better hotkey system, taken straight from WOW or Baldur's Gate; the hotkey wheel is much better than Skyrim's hotkey list.

This game is more RPG in story, but more action in game, an action RPG, where Skyrim was more of an RPG with very simple action elements. This doesn't require exploration and seaching stuff, as loot glows, unlike Skyrim where you want to seach just about everything. If this game is deep in loot and leveling, that would be another plus. 

Bottom line, at the moment: I won't discount this game quite yet depending on how the RPG elements are. At it's core, it's not bad by any means.

#6truGamer13Posted 1/19/2012 1:24:34 PM
So i didnt have any real ambition to even try this game but a friend told me to try it out if i had time, which i did, and i loved it. im playing it on a 40 inch sony bravia with full 1080p and 120hz and this game looks awesome as hell for a cartoon graphic style. I still kind of wish they could have had a light and heavy attack button but because u can switch between ur items very fast i can live with. Im going to go ahead and believe that this was an old build for a demo its not like it the first time for that to happen anyways look at the god of war 3 demo for example. cant wait for the game to release!
#7jaygoodPosted 1/19/2012 1:53:33 PM
wentouch posted...
My first impression was that the graphics weren't great and reminded me of the graphics of Baldur's Gate on the PS2. While everything is crystal, the art still looks very first gen and comical, but perhaps that is a intended design, like Batman: AA. The characters don't look bad by any means, they just look comical.Playing through the demo, the controls are still clunky and the character does not feel connected to the background. The non-interactiveness is in part why making much of the background just filler. It's weird seeing weapons, but not being able to pick it up.The good is that the combat system is like Batman: AA, requiring timing and combos. It has bonuses for combos that rewards the player, which I should have been implemented in Skyrim and Dark Souls. The ability to instantly switch from primary and secondary also adds a layer of depth, allowing for unique styles of play, and another feature that should have been in Skyrim. Both bring strategy and attention which is a plus. Here, this game excels in enjoyment.The menu system is a bit much to go through, but maybe it's just the demo. I thought Skyrim had it bad requiring the menu to be opened frequently, but the Skyrim menus, likes it's leveling system, are streamlined and simple, such as accessing everything with the X button. Reckoning has a better hotkey system, taken straight from WOW or Baldur's Gate; the hotkey wheel is much better than Skyrim's hotkey list.This game is more RPG in story, but more action in game, an action RPG, where Skyrim was more of an RPG with very simple action elements. This doesn't require exploration and seaching stuff, as loot glows, unlike Skyrim where you want to seach just about everything. If this game is deep in loot and leveling, that would be another plus. Bottom line, at the moment: I won't discount this game quite yet depending on how the RPG elements are. At it's core, it's not bad by any means.

Well said, great post. Gamefaqs needs more people like you.
---
Currently playing: Dragon Age Origins Ult. (PS3)
GT/PSN: Quadrunner76
#8pokemondoPosted 1/19/2012 1:59:03 PM
wentouch posted...
It's weird seeing weapons, but not being able to pick it up.

lol, I killed a couple bandits, saw their swords go flying off in different directions, and ran over to try to get them. DENIED.