About Level Locking...

#1Dirn2Posted 2/21/2012 2:05:30 PM
I've heard that this game employs level locking to set the difficulty in certain zones, how does this work exactly?

For instance, out of boredom, I decided to discover towns and places all over the map at level 10. I haven't entered all the dungeons but I have entered some just to take a quick look.

Am I screwed at this point? Are all the locations I've unlocked stuck at level 10 now regarding the loot and enemies? Does it matter if I come back much later at level 20 for instance? Does the pope play with himself?

Thanks in advance.
---
Gamertag: DiRN2000 PSN: DiRN2000
#2Dirn2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2012 3:50:42 PM
Serious question, disregard that last part...
---
#3DestinPosted 2/21/2012 4:03:41 PM
over-world zones have level ranges. some are like 5-10, some are like 20-25, it'll lock to the closest level that you are the first time you go in. if you get to a 20-25 zone at Lv 10 it'll be stuck at Lv 20, even if you don't go back till you're Level 30.

dungeons should reset when you get a quest there.
---
Destin the Valiant
#4TheAntiZealotPosted 2/21/2012 4:15:15 PM
I've heard this before and I believe it. But where does the information come from?
---
-TAZ
#5metalmandtPosted 2/21/2012 4:36:26 PM
^ The developers
---
Yea, I went there.
#6Valor_PhoenixPosted 2/21/2012 6:01:11 PM
I've done a lot of testing on the board, you can search for my topic with the data, but I'll give a summary.

Dalentarth has a level range of about 1 to 15 or 20, haven't discovered the max yet but it's in that area.

Detyre and Plains of Erathell are level 10 to about level 30.

Everything level locks to when you first enter it. If you're in say Glendara at level 9 and go over to Star Camp because you need a fence, you'll see it say 'Lorca-Rane' at the top of the screen in green letters before reaching Grim, which means you've just entered the Lorca-Rane area and set it at level 9.

Also from what I can judge, enemy names will be white if they are more than 4 levels below you and they're be red if they're more than 4 levels above you. Yellow/Orange means they're within a 4 level zone.

So if you're level 2 and enter The Wolds, everything will be red named and level 10, and very tough to kill. If you enter the Wolds at 6 however, they'll have yellow/orange names yet still be only level 10. Enter at 20 and they'll be 20.

Dungeons also level lock when first entered, as do cities, so for instance all the chests in Rathir will have loot corresponding to the level you were when you first entered Rathir.

Shop inventories are fixed however.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris ~ Bone Ravens
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#7TheAntiZealotPosted 2/22/2012 4:55:42 AM
Very cool, thanks!
---
-TAZ
#8YkkiamyourzippaPosted 2/22/2012 6:14:20 AM
Dungeons also level lock when first entered, as do cities, so for instance all the chests in Rathir will have loot corresponding to the level you were when you first entered Rathir.

Shop inventories are fixed however.

This. Thanks I did not know about loot was included. Couldn't figure it out, also haven't really cared to investigate.

Also, while not having conducted my own test. I will say my theories would totally support your conclusions. the level range lock is 10-20 levels. Not 5-10 as most people seem to state.

Unfortunately, the first thing I did was run to almost every town, getting trainers, backpack upgrades and stashes while unlocking fast travel locations. Thankfully, dungeons are case by case, I only entered one prematurely. In the end, its actually Kinda nice now I can just plow through the over-world fodder and get right to enjoying the dungeons.

Although some side-quests are a bit underwhelming.
---
"Like Ykk On your zippa"~outkast
#9Dirn2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2012 7:25:57 AM
Awesome, thanks for the info. Just to clarify and I know it's up there somewhere but if I unlock a town, all the dungeons within that area are going to wait to be set by me entering them even though I set the level in the surrounding areas?

Also, the loot dropped by mobs and the loot found in chests or rock piles, those are always based on my locked level or do they scale by range?

Are there any things that don't lock like bosses and their loot?
---