Skyrim VS. Kingdoms of Amalur

#1JGraves216Posted 5/12/2012 4:56:31 AM
Love Skyrim, heard about this game. Is this game similar? Pros? Cons? Similarities and differences?
---
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
PSN: jjones216
#2Lucius2Posted 5/12/2012 5:30:07 AM
They are similar in the sense that they're the same genre of Western RPG... action-type combat, a large world to explore and interact with... but comparing the two is going to leave you disappointed one way or another.

At the very least, if you enjoyed Skyrim you should enjoy Amalur.
---
Currently playing: Final Fantasy XI, Everquest, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, Tales of Graces F, Neptunia Mk. 2, Disgaea 4
#3Yunthor_HnCPosted 5/12/2012 7:24:01 AM
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is more comparable to Fable than Elder Scrolls. It's a more action RPG than Skyrim is. What this means is that the world isn't as open as Skyrim, but the combat is better sorted out.

As you level, you gain points that you can put into different ability sets. The ability sets basically break down to 'Warrior', 'Thief', and 'Mage'. You can mix and match, putting some points in each if you want. My favourite build so far has been 80 points in Sorcery (Mage), 25 points in Might (Warrior), and 18 points in Finesse (Thief). This gives me all of the spells and abilities I like from Sorcery while giving me good stealth killing abilities, and a bit more defensive abilities.

The game is built in such a way that you would have a hard time messing up a build. There are bonuses available no matter how you build, even if you split the points evenly between each tree. And if you don't like your current build, you can visit a Fateweaver and respec your character's abilities and skills.
---
To be fair, it is far easier to replace a few dead interns than full Doctorates. They are the Red Shirts of Arkham. - OutlawDino
http://wuyausu.com
#4Jedah345Posted 5/12/2012 8:10:20 AM
They're both fun games, my biggest problem with amalur atm is being unable to jump over stuff. Also I rly don't like the lvling system in amalur compared to skyrim. Taking me forever to max with potions/fateshifting. But amalur does have alot more action than skyrim, less walking around bored.
#5AndroguntherPosted 5/12/2012 8:17:31 AM
Yep, this feels more like Fable to me. As in the game that Fable should have been. (Don't really miss that expression nonsense or buying houses...)
---
I've got an itchy finger and there'll be hell to pay
I'm gonna pull the trigger and blow them all away...
#6yattazePosted 5/13/2012 5:05:04 AM
Skyrim is better simply due to the offensively large number of bugs and glitches in KoA:R. To think, they (38 Studios) have the nerve to announce a sequel when they slacked off so much on the finer details of the original for OVER an entire quarter of a year. KoA: R's U.S. release date was Feb. 6, 2012 and still most of the problems with the game persist. Only 2 updates so far that didn't really seem to do much, if anything, to improve the gameplay at all. So looking forward to Dragon's Dogma at the end of this month. Your character can ACTUALLY jump and climb, for a change. With Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, if your character so much as encounters a small rock on the ground, he/she will have to go around it entirely or be forced to run in place like a vapid, narcotically high hamster on an invisible wheel/treadmill. ... No joke. It's literally that bad.
#7Yunthor_HnCPosted 5/13/2012 7:37:22 AM
You're actually praising Skyrim over KoAR because of bugs? That's hilarious... Skyrim's far buggier. I've experienced fewer bugs in 3 play-throughs of KoAR than a single play-through of Skyrim. But that's the way Bethesda games tend to be.
---
To be fair, it is far easier to replace a few dead interns than full Doctorates. They are the Red Shirts of Arkham. - OutlawDino
http://wuyausu.com
#8NicodimusPosted 5/13/2012 2:35:55 PM

Skyrim is better simply due to the offensively large number of bugs and glitches in KoA:R.

KOA has its share of flaws, but to say it's buggier than Skyrim...to put it nicely, strains your credibility. Skyrim is loaded with bugs.
---
http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Nicodimus22/AVhome/
#9Pezzcore26Posted 5/13/2012 7:32:38 PM
Androgunther posted...
Yep, this feels more like Fable to me. As in the game that Fable should have been. (Don't really miss that expression nonsense or buying houses...)

THIS. I've been thinking the same thing since I started playing KoA. It's everything Fable should've been in terms of exploration and combat.

If you're a fan of wrpg's, both this and Skyrim compliment each other quite nicely.
---
"going outside is highly overrated"
-Anorak's Almanac, Ch. 17 v 32
#10NasteemanPosted 5/19/2012 2:46:57 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Skyrim is better simply due to the offensively large number of bugs and glitches in KoA:R.
KOA has its share of flaws, but to say it's buggier than Skyrim...to put it nicely, strains your credibility. Skyrim is loaded with bugs.

Yeah, I (and others that have posted at the Reckoning forums) have had NO game breaking bugs whatsoever, and those I have run into have been few and far between, and easily rectified. Certainly nowhere NEAR "offensively" bugged. Note, I am NOT not saying those who have said they've run into them are liars, just that the bugs are not as frequent or as bad as some would have you believe. Certainly nowhere near as many as Skyrim (although I personally haven't had any problems with that game , either)