Max ability points, and builds that take +ability gear into consideration

#1Bloody_LancePosted 2/21/2012 4:48:35 PM
We get 123 base ability points to play with in the game, at max level.
We also get gear that grants various +ability points.
+ability gear only adds points to abilities you have spent 1+ points in.
Some abilities can be overclocked by +1 or +2, and some not at all.

With all of the above in mind, has anyone determined a true maximum number of ability points that you COULD have on your character at any one time? Are there any gear combinations that could give you 7+ additional points in ALL ability trees?

To achieve this, it seems like you would want to spend fewer points on more abilities, and in some cases only spend 1 point.

Thoughts for all you theorycrafters out there?
#2avalanchegeniexPosted 2/21/2012 5:27:11 PM
Bloody_Lance posted...

With all of the above in mind, has anyone determined a true maximum number of ability points that you COULD have on your character at any one time? Are there any gear combinations that could give you 7+ additional points in ALL ability trees?

To achieve this, it seems like you would want to spend fewer points on more abilities, and in some cases only spend 1 point.

I haven't really given it MUCH thought, but I know that to reach later tiers in the trees, you have to spend "x" amount of points...and +ability items and the like do NOT count towards that.

You wouldn't be able to reach final tier skills on more than one tree...period. Final tier requires 70 points in the tree, and as you pointed out, only 123 are available.
#3AoENIACPosted 2/21/2012 5:33:35 PM
All my most-used builds so far require +2 points in at least two categories. I generally accomplish this with twist of fate cards, a necklace, and either a ring or a shield, because I don't like using my epic gem slot for +abilities and the +2 weapons are a waste for my purposes.
---
Is there something about the way I type that makes it sound angry? Maybe it's just something about the way you read.
#4rice2555Posted 2/21/2012 5:45:42 PM
avalanchegeniex posted...
Bloody_Lance posted...

I haven't really given it MUCH thought, but I know that to reach later tiers in the trees, you have to spend "x" amount of points...and +ability items and the like do NOT count towards that.

You wouldn't be able to reach final tier skills on more than one tree...period. Final tier requires 70 points in the tree, and as you pointed out, only 123 are available.

Yeah um im pretty sure we know who you're talking to/about or who you're responding to. You where the first post. Thanks for quoting the entire topic though it really cleared things up.
#5avalanchegeniexPosted 2/21/2012 5:50:54 PM
LOL@Rice.

Relax bro...I wasn't really paying attention, and just hit the quote button. Sorry it ruined your day so much.
#6Bloody_Lance(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2012 6:50:39 PM
avalanchegeniex posted...
LOL@Rice.

Relax bro...I wasn't really paying attention, and just hit the quote button. Sorry it ruined your day so much.

Come on Rice, why?

Once they give us a nightmare mode we might need to start thinking about these things.
#7sadinarPosted 2/21/2012 7:12:52 PM
There's a unique necklace out there that gives +1 to all skills, coupled with the twists of fate from Travelers/Scholia Arcana/Warsworn you can achieve the max(+2 to all skills) with just 1 piece of equipment.

Then it becomes a matter of maximizing skill points. All the abilities that unlock new weapon specials only need a single point in them, because they offer no benefit beyond 3, so 1 + 2 from other sources puts them at that level. The problem is the minimum requirement to move on through the trees, and the requirements for the tier 6 destines. The single ones need 109, and the dual ones need 55 each. If you want to grab an ideal destiny, you basically are forced to nothing above tier 5, or nothing above tier 2 in your second tree, and tier 7 in the last.
---
[This signature was deleted at request of the original signer]