Difference between PC and console versions?

#1ShinteikunPosted 12/25/2011 7:16:39 AM

No-one is speaking of the differences between PC and console versions...

I know controlls wil be different... but in which way?

What about graphics? My PC is way stronger than my xbox360...

What about mods for PC?

What about cheats? PC versions usually have them, while console ones doesn't...

What about bugs? weirdly all games I posses or just played on both  Pc and x360 have different set of bugs (where PC versions are way buggier)

anyone knows anything about it?

or some other diffeences I forgot to ask about?

#2SuttonPosted 12/25/2011 7:36:31 AM

Shinteikun posted...

No-one is speaking of the differences between PC and console versions...

I know controlls wil be different... but in which way?

What about graphics? My PC is way stronger than my xbox360...

What about mods for PC?

What about cheats? PC versions usually have them, while console ones doesn't...

What about bugs? weirdly all games I posses or just played on both  Pc and x360 have different set of bugs (where PC versions are way buggier)

anyone knows anything about it?

or some other diffeences I forgot to ask about?

Ok, going in order I'll do my best.

1. I'm sure about the controls, but you can probably google a KOAR PC controller layout.

2. Like most any other game, especially this late in the consoles' life-cycle, you can expect sharper textures (higher resolution all around) and smoother frame-rate. Expect the grapichs to supercede the X360/PS3.

3. There will definitely be mods for the PC, as the full toolset will be included. Here is the link to confirm this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/991143-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/61234229

4. As of yet, I don't believe there are any cheats for KOAR, but that doesn't mean there won't be. There probably will be for the PC, since the full toolset will be released. As for consoles, I'm not sure if they'll be included or not.

5. Refer to the link I posted above to read Curt Schilling's answer about bugs. I believe it is number 3. KEEP IN MIND! Curt says they have full intentions of releasing the game bug-free. While it is really good to know they'll be testing the hell out of this game, don't expect KOAR to be bug-free at launch. Hopefully, though, it will be extremely polished.

Hope this helps, bub.

#3SuttonPosted 12/25/2011 7:38:29 AM

Oops.. @ my number 1: I'm NOT sure about the controls.

#4wizaerdPosted 12/25/2011 10:13:35 AM
There's a fairly large on-going topic about this in the official forums. People are dissatisfied with the ability mapping for the console. The four main buttons are your main activities, main attach, block, roll, dodge, etc... Hold down the bumper and the four face buttons become 4 mapped abilities. The dissatisfaction comes from that four abilities out of the myriad of abilities available are way to limiting, and the abilities are only useable is they've been mapped to the buttons. So if you have buffs you want to use pre-battle, you must map them, then re-map them back to active abiltlities that you want to use during the battle. (BTW, not a gripe, just explaining the controversy from the forum).

I may not have it 100% accurate, but that's the main gist of it. I'd reccommend visiting the official forums for a more thorough and accurate description.
---
The new term for Nerdgasm is to Drizzt
http://tinyurl.com/ygnjv2l
#5Shinteikun(Topic Creator)Posted 12/25/2011 2:12:33 PM

Thanks for the info and a link...

I feel smarter on the topic now...

one more question... on the consoles, will there be auto lock? and not on PC...

like in Dragon age 2... I played on both pc and xbox... while on PC I had to click on every enemy I wanted to attack and when that enemy died my character would just stand there waiting for me to click on next enemy... while on xbox I was just mashing the attack and skills button and game would auto lock on nearest enemy...

I like auto lock on target... especially with long ranged attack such as bows or magic...

(While playing skyrim, at least 50% of my arrows and spells miss since game has no lock on system and i pretty much suck at mouse precision, it's ok with standing targets or slow targets, but once they start to zig zag, I'm screwed)

#6DuneManPosted 12/25/2011 2:15:22 PM
There's supposed to be an auto-lock of sorts, in that you automatically target whatever enemy is closest to the direction you're facing when you attack. E.g. push left to attack an enemy at your left, or right for right, that sort of thing.

As for the ability mapping... that does kind of suck if you can't activate buffs or summons from the menu... I remember playing Dark Alliance 2 and wishing that I had more than 5 abilities available at any given intstant.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#7SuttonPosted 12/25/2011 4:27:18 PM

@wizaerd

Would you care to post a link to that specific topic? I wouldn't mind reading about that one.

#8AtrumRuinaPosted 12/25/2011 6:52:47 PM
Seems like the best solution to the mapping issue would be a Fable-like system (Fable 1) in which you can cycle between different sets of mapped abilities in real-time, making remapping unnecessary for the most part.
---
"Suppose you throw a coin enough times. . .suppose one day, it lands on its edge." -Kain
#9Labyrinth TankPosted 12/26/2011 12:18:15 AM
I have another somewhat related question. Have they said anything official about requiring Origin to play with a physical copy of the PC version of the game? It's been tough trying to decide which version of the game to get, but I really don't want to deal with EA's crap. Everyone and their dog seems to think it's a great idea to have their own individual "Steam" clients nowadays.
---
"Did you avenge me? Awesome!" - Kargon
#10SuttonPosted 12/26/2011 1:03:14 AM

@Labyrinth_Tank

I've been searching for an answer about the requirements of Origin to play KOAR. So far, no one seems to have a concrete answer because the details have yet to be released, but the general consensus is: "It's looking that way."

HOWEVER, it seems that Curt is also looking to release the game through Steam as well, and has stated that, being a new IP, he wants his game to be as accessible as possible.

Still searching for some hard evidence, though.