How are Bows underpowered?

#1TerantatekPosted 1/28/2012 7:04:50 PM
I enjoyed using them in the demo and thought they did good damage. In the full game are they not gonna be useful?
---
I game on my 42" 1080p 120hz LCD HDTV w/ HD output box
Love, Peace, 4:20-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#2Tbon110Posted 1/28/2012 7:16:13 PM
They aren't underpowered, just underwhelming. While they are sure to be powerful by end game when enhanced with an arsenal of abilities, scepters outperform them so much at the beginning it's not even funny. The charge shot of a scepter can hit multiple enemies right off the bat while the bow is limited to one and takes the same amount of time to charge.
---
The greatest evil is the indifference of good men.
#3Golem345Posted 1/28/2012 7:20:20 PM
Tbon110 posted...
They aren't underpowered, just underwhelming. While they are sure to be powerful by end game when enhanced with an arsenal of abilities, scepters outperform them so much at the beginning it's not even funny. The charge shot of a scepter can hit multiple enemies right off the bat while the bow is limited to one and takes the same amount of time to charge.

I've played using both and I have to say I prefer bows. I pretty much only charge shot with them, since by the time enemies are close enough that I can't I usually just change to my hammer and smash em in the face, and that has made me like them much more because they actually feel useful, where as scepters for me are kinda more like, hey that looks sweet, so I'm gonna use it kinda thing, which I probably will when I do a sorcery build.
---
XBL GT: Steampunk Ruin
"I got van, get in the candy"
#4zedith99Posted 1/28/2012 7:38:15 PM
Tbon110 posted...
They aren't underpowered, just underwhelming.

especially for hybrid destinies since to max out the bow too get its full effectiveness/utility it requires around 20 points(not including the additional points you'll need to invest to get the required finesse tiers unlocked) compared to the sceptre which is closer to around 9(also not including those additional points). although i am not sure about damage but just for the utility i can imagine the maxed out bow having a slight advantage in the end game than a maxed out sceptre... assuming you can afford the point without weakining your build, which more most hybrid destinies( Especially JOAT) is pretty much impossible
---
one path behind,another ahead,
a past that does haunt, a future left untread
#5Bea5TPosted 1/28/2012 7:39:32 PM
bows look pretty beastly in some of the live vids

Destiny bonuses + good gear + skills = bow being more than viable
---
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3935/23746702.png
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8449/top1j.png http://imageshack.us/m/832/3774/kobedunk.jpg
#6Golem345Posted 1/28/2012 7:40:16 PM
Yea I have to admit that's one thing that irked me in the demo. I just wanted to put points into the bow skill, but with only doing that I think you can only get to the second tier before you have to start investing into some other finesse skills.
---
XBL GT: Steampunk Ruin
"I got van, get in the candy"
#7dEv7FiRPosted 1/28/2012 8:24:48 PM
I tried with bow but 5 arrows and it deals like none damage at all, while scepters deal tons of damage and almost no mana at all if you're using mage items.
---
PSN - 360 GT
Feroztier
#8bronze4v4proPosted 1/28/2012 11:29:10 PM
bows will become absolutely godly once you become a higher level. You'll never get hit plus rain arrows down from the sky and shoot almost endlessly.

Trust me, bows are pro in this game once you upgrade it and level up a bit.
---
this screenshot is for warcraft 3 players: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5835/masscritters.jpg
#9Reinez0001Posted 1/29/2012 12:36:20 AM
Tried them in the demo and they just seemed so... boring. Just hold the attack button and - release. Hit B to roll again. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Think I'll stick with either magic or melee.
#10brisashiPosted 1/29/2012 12:47:50 AM
Reinez0001 posted...
Tried them in the demo and they just seemed so... boring. Just hold the attack button and - release. Hit B to roll again. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Think I'll stick with either magic or melee.

How are those two any less boring exactly?
---
Stop arguing with me, I am clearly the better human.