What is max level?

#1spraynardtatumPosted 2/10/2012 8:10:16 AM

How many skills (alchemy, blacksmithing, detect hidden, etc) will be possible to max out by max level?  I feel like if you pace yourself correctly and use all the trainers to level up then you may have enough additional blocks to max out a character.  Does anyone know if the developers have mentioned this?  I feel like it's possible but at the same time would go against the point of the game with the whole fate weaving thing.

Has anyone hit the max level (how did you do that so fast?)?

#2DuneManPosted 2/10/2012 8:14:12 AM
Max level = 40

You get 123 ability points(having 3 at level 0) and 40 skill points. However, you can go to a Fateweaver to reduce yourself down to base levels, then find all the basic trainers to train with before reinvesting your levels. The effect is amplified if you keep skill books with you and never read them until afterward. If you plan it out correctly, you can probably max all of your skills. Since you can completely ignore lockpicking, that makes it easier to max out the other skills.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#3JCtheArchangelPosted 2/10/2012 8:15:13 AM
28 trainers
40 level up points
4 skill books? Not sure how many there are...
Universalist +3 to all skills = 9x3=27

9 skills times 10 points each = 90

27+28+40+4= 99/90

Yeah, I don't see why not *shrug*
---
"Beowulf Sucks..." -Me
25 November 2007 and every day thereafter
#4PhadinPosted 2/10/2012 8:45:42 AM
Don't forget +4 for your starting racial skill bonus.
#5spraynardtatum(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2012 9:01:05 AM

Thanks for the responses.  I'm glad someone else was willing to do the math.  Who knows if I'll play the game to max level but I appreciate the information.  

#6Cody900Posted 2/10/2012 10:54:30 AM(edited)
Well I got max level yesterday, the answer to how is just playing a lot and doing quests.

But for using all the trainers, I'm really not sure. You would have to make it to the other continent at a low level AND finish quests there as at least 1 trainer requires a lengthy quest to unlock, and grind money for hours.

Basically the problem boils down to the fact that the game forces you to spend all 40 skill points at level up, you can't invest a few and save them. The only trainers you'll realistically be able to get are 0-3, and possibly some 4-6 for the skills that were boosted by your race, but they might even be blocked off anyway and only accessible after some quests.

If you reset back to level 1 from 40 or whatever level, all your skills will go back to 0 (minus the boosted ones of course), So, going around to all the 0-3 trainers is no problem, you can get all your skills up to 2 (possibly 1 I dunno), and 3 or 4 for your boosted ones. But then there's where you get stuck. The next tier of trainers require you to have a minimum of 4, but you can't get your skills to 4 without spending points, and you have to spend all your points at once when trying to level up. So you have to put 40 back in which then makes you lose out on all those trainers anyway, or most of them.

The "actual" way to do it, if it were doable, would be to go through the game at level 1, and specifically map out the route. So by the time you finished training all the 0-3 trainers, you were something like level 4 or 5, then you could just get all your skills to 4 or 5, and use the next trainers. That's going to be difficult being such a low level.

And then again for the last trainers that require your skills to be a minimum of 7, again you'll need to get up somewhere around 13 I imagine, and get all your skills to 7 to make use of the last trainers. The last continent requires much questing to get to, so you'd pretty much have to skip most enemies to really keep your level low and control it. And for one trainer that I know of, you have to do a quest to unlock her, so again you'll be doing above your level quests.

And all this doesn't even mention the fact that you'll need hundreds of thousands of gold, and you can't get that being such a low level. You would really have to steal, fence and find every hidden (that you can with low detect) to make the money. I think the money is where it really falls down. If you could hack that, then probably. And finally, if training skills is level locked, i.e you can't train a skill to level 5 if you're under level 8, then this is all out the window anyway.

So, all in all, difficult, would really require thorough mapping out from the start. Playing on casual difficulty if needed and skipping most of the content could see you through it, if you somehow got the money together from somewhere.
#7spraynardtatum(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2012 10:58:05 AM

Cody900 posted...
Well I got max level yesterday, the answer to how is just playing a lot and doing quests.

But for using all the trainers, I'm really not sure. You would have to make it to the other continent at a low level AND finish quests there as at least 1 trainer requires a lengthy quest to unlock, and grind money for hours.

Basically the problem boils down to the fact that the game forces you to spend all 40 skill points at level up, you can't invest a few and save them. The only trainers you'll realistically be able to get are 0-3, and possibly some 4-6 for the skills that were boosted by your race, but they might even be blocked off anyway and only accessible after some quests.

If you reset back to level 1 from 40 or whatever level, all your skills will go back to 0 (minus the boosted ones of course), So, going around to all the 0-3 trainers is no problem, you can get all your skills up to 2 (possibly 1 I dunno), and 3 or 4 for your boosted ones. But then there's where you get stuck. The next tier of trainers require you to have a minimum of 4, but you can't get your skills to 4 without spending points, and you have to spend all your points at once when trying to level up. So you have to put 40 back in which then makes you lose out on all those trainers anyway, or most of them.

The "actual" way to do it, if it were doable, would be to go through the game at level 1, and specifically map out the route. So by the time you finished training all the 0-3 trainers, you were something like level 4 or 5, then you could just get all your skills to 4 or 5, and use the next trainers. That's going to be difficult being such a low level.

And then again for the last trainers that require your skills to be a minimum of 7, again you'll need to get up somewhere around 13 I imagine, and get all your skills to 7 to make use of the last trainers. The last continent requires much questing to get to, so you'd pretty much have to skip most enemies to really keep your level low and control it. And for one trainer that I know of, you have to do a quest to unlock her, so again you'll be doing above your level quests.

And all this doesn't even mention the fact that you'll need hundreds of thousands of gold, and you can't get that being such a low level. You would really have to steal, fence and find every hidden (that you can with low detect) to make the money. I think the money is where it really falls down. If you could hack that, then probably. And finally, if training skills is level locked, i.e you can't train a skill to level 5 if you're under level 8, then this is all out the window anyway.

So, all in all, difficult, would really require thorough mapping out from the start. Playing on casual difficulty if needed and skipping most of the content could see you through it, if you somehow got the money together from somewhere.

That made perfect sense.  Thanks.  So what do your stats look like at max level?

#8JCtheArchangelPosted 2/10/2012 11:09:06 AM
Uh... wow I have to dispute that huge wall of text...

You don't need to be on casual or any of that. Respeccing is cheap, I've done it twice and plan on doing it a few more times. You can get all the trainers. It's probably easiest to just jot down the names of all the trainers, and then check them off after using them, that includes the 4-6 and 7-9 ones. Here's my map to getting max skills, or as close to max as is needed as several skills are just pointless:

Play the game, whatever difficulty you want. Recommend putting early points into detect hidden, then sage crafting, then blacksmithing, in that order of importance. Once you get into the game and level up a bunch, make sure you sell off all the purple and yellow items you don't plan on using as you'll never be able to salvage them. Once you have a good bit of money, figure out how many 0-3 trainers you have access to and are able to reach. Try to get to all the areas where they are, go ahead and use them if you can. Essentially, never wait to use a trainer, go for it, regardless of whether or not you respec first.

Once you have a ton of money and can't use any more trainers, it's time to respec. Use any skill books you have. Then use any trainers you couldn't use earlier because skill level was too high. Now you have an option. If you've still got money to burn, level up skills by increasing the level of each skill to the minimum level needed to go to the next trainer, and max out something you've already trained as much as possible. Put ability points into whatever. Then Respec again, only this time put points into the good stuff, detect hidden, sage, bs, but just take everything to level 7 max, and then spread ability points between the three trees to be a universalist. Bam, max skills.

Unverified, but I imagine that'll get you max skills. Like I said though, it's really pretty unnecessary since so many of the skills are pointless...
---
"Beowulf Sucks..." -Me
25 November 2007 and every day thereafter