Priest still more variable than paladin?

#1TheBlueDeathPosted 8/26/2011 7:01:06 PM
About to make the choice....

Seems priests can deal damage and heal while paladins are simply tough.
---
PSN: Swordsman001
#2Sir 0rionPosted 8/26/2011 8:24:35 PM
They simply serve different roles. Let me first reassure you that you WILL NOT make a "bad" choice, here. Both Priest and Paladin are more than capable both alone and in a group.

The Priest is a major supportive role for the party. He has better healing and buffing abilities for everyone, and is able to effectively damage enemies and lock them down into a specific area for others to pick off.

The Paladin is simply the absolute BEST class for taking absolutely everything an enemy has to dish out and be able to dust himself off with no real fear or injury. He has massive HP, incredible defense, and a wide variety of defensive options. In a party, a Paladin is still an incredibly welcome addition because he is still a somewhat capable healer, and he is able to plant himself between the enemies and his allies and simply be a brick wall. Even more importantly for a team, the Paladin has the "Provoke" ability. USE THIS ABILITY. Using Provoke will turn virtually any enemy within its range to face you temporarily (also reducing their stats slightly), which can, and WILL save the lives of the various mages and archers in your charge, whose highly damaging skills attract enemies into attacking them. Finally, there is Armor Break. This ability will almost always one-shot enemy shields, leaving them stunned, and even better, it reduces their defense, making them take a reasonable chunk of extra damage from you and everyone else.

To me, I'd say the decision is as follows: play a Priest if you want to be a lightning mage that also specializes in healing and buffing. Play as a Paladin if you want to be a defensive god.
#3aLINKinthechainPosted 8/26/2011 10:56:04 PM
its too late now.. but i figured i'd elaborate on the above post for anyone else asking the same question...

if you're concerned about soloing, both are viable, but priests really shine in solo pve. We have lightning relic, which is the most useful skill i've encountered on any class. its on a quick cd and deals dmg on impact/light dmg WITH PARALYZE as an AoE DoT. It also acts as a wall between you and larger monsters ( minos, etc...) AND constantly stuns. you can literally drop Light relics between you and an enemy and have them stuck on the other side, vulnerable to your ranged spells.

Almost every available priest skill has para/aoe dmg, making controlling and nuking mobs a breeze. (i.e abilities like chain lightning and lightning strike, add light. relic and begin the pwnage) . AND (for now) chain lightning not only deals the most dmg of any of our skills, but has a 360 degree attack and electrocutes.

they are basically 'lightning mages' (great Orion : D) with highhhhh defense and unbelievable crowd control.

paladins share the same solo ability, but don't have the aoe capability of priests. i think the best thing about a pally ( beyond the fact that they are tanks, even outside the mmo connotation) is the ability to interrupt annoying attacks that will knock you down/back, thus keeping you from being tossed around like a rag doll when you have multiple enemies with knockdown abilities. (i.e ambusher trolls, dark elves, sword winds, and minos or other large enemies charge attacks.)

if you want to be a giant stone wall that hits back, play a pally.
if you want to run in circles cackling maniacally whilst your enemies twitch, go priest.
---
GT: thatKevinkid
the first man on the moon was soma, and he got there by yorick jumping.
#4TheBlueDeath(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 6:37:08 AM
I actually waited for good responses and boy did I get them.

Thank you both sincerely.
---
PSN: Swordsman001
#5RyusutaPosted 8/27/2011 10:06:21 AM
Sure thing. Let us know what you decide. =)

And remember (and I believe Link will agree, too), you will NOT make a bad choice, here. Both classes are extremely good and work in all situations.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cK3Ri.png
#6serenitychanPosted 8/27/2011 3:26:35 PM
I'll be honest with you
Playing on a paladin will give you the sense you're playing on a very solid character where nothing can go wrong the more the cap is raised

Anyone know if paladin gets another heal later on though? Would be nice.
---
You will pay for what you have done!
#7monk1550Posted 8/27/2011 4:08:30 PM
serenitychan posted...
I'll be honest with you
Playing on a paladin will give you the sense you're playing on a very solid character where nothing can go wrong the more the cap is raised

Anyone know if paladin gets another heal later on though? Would be nice.

Nope we don't get heal later on. As for damage, it's about the same. The major difference is that priests get a bunch of buffs for the party, while paladins get a bunch of buffs for them selves. Paladins are still loved in parties, though. Keep in mind that both priests and paladins do less damage than other classes, although, not by much. Alot of the better paladin skills are coming after the level cap is raised, so also consider that. Priests get most of their core skills before level 24.
---
3009 7816 6608
#8serenitychanPosted 8/27/2011 6:47:11 PM
Yeah that's what I mean by "The skills of Paladin not all quite there yet, but I like the direction they're going" type of thing.
---
You will pay for what you have done!