MMOs like this?

#1Werndan101Posted 10/11/2010 1:27:32 PM
I remember reading about some like this. Can someone give me a list of names?
---
Metroid: Other M. Because there's the good Metroid games, and the "Other" Metroid game.....
#2Dante200XPosted 10/11/2010 1:54:21 PM
Hmm....there isn't really any MMOs like this. Maybe Phantasy Star Online, but that's all I can think of.
---
"I'm not reading reviews when I can just ask this board." - TormakSaber asking about Sam & Max on the TF2 board
#3chocomogPosted 10/11/2010 2:40:41 PM
Divine souls, but its not very good and is not playable right now (in between CB and OB)

TERA and blade and soul are coming out next year and they're like this.

2d, somewhat similar games are dungeon fighter online, grand chase, and dragonica, though really they only share the action element and play entirely differently.
---
2010 Chicago Bears: 4-1. Next: vs Seattle
No, you won't sucker me again. Your dressing is flavored with the evil and murderous intents of your wicked heart.
#4Werndan101(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2010 3:26:23 PM
Yeah, Blade and Soul was the one I was thinking of.

Always thought of checking out DFO, but I remember hearing it was a grindfest at first. Has that changed?
---
Metroid: Other M. Because there's the good Metroid games, and the "Other" Metroid game.....
#5chocomogPosted 10/11/2010 4:20:01 PM
its actually the second least grindy MMO i've played (first is vindictus).
---
2010 Chicago Bears: 4-1. Next: vs Seattle
No, you won't sucker me again. Your dressing is flavored with the evil and murderous intents of your wicked heart.
#6TaterzzPosted 10/11/2010 4:26:19 PM
while not really a downloadable MMO, many say this game is a clone of Monster Hunter. as far as i'm aware, MH has an online component in some versions, so you could look in to that.
---
You just lost the game.
#7Tsunaka_BakaPosted 10/11/2010 9:31:28 PM
Monster Hunter Frontier Online is an MMO almost exactly like this. However it's more boss oriented, the maps are less linear and you can backtrack (and bosses can move around sections of the map.)
---
Random NPC
#8HyperRyunPosted 10/13/2010 4:53:17 PM
Looking at this gameplay, it seems to be real-time, non-metered combat. I've been looking for the name of a certain game that was in this style and you guys seem to know what's out there.

There's also a game out there that has a sort of cel-shaded or japanime-ish art style in the same combat style - also a free MMO. Watched a trailer about 2 years ago and haven't seen anything about it sense. It showed promise but it was in preliminary stages and closed beta was expected about a year later in a trailer. It should be released, or cancelled by now.

Anyone hear about something like that or know of any games that fit that description? It probably sucks but it just bugs me that I can't remember the name.
---
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING!
YOU WILL REGRET THIS!
#9Pvt_r3dPosted 10/13/2010 5:11:43 PM
Lunia online is a pretty fun 2D action game.
#10bart27Posted 10/13/2010 6:41:13 PM
I don't like how it's compared to Monster Hunter.

Sure it shares similar concepts but Monster Hunter is more tactical and more equipment and skill based. The way your hunter moves is very realistic and the way the weapons work as you attack a monster is just...different. It's not something easy to describe unless you play Monster Hunter.

Vindictus is more visceral and fast paced, focusing more on action. It's also...oddly enough, a lot less forgiving on bosses when it comes to getting hit by them.

---
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Memento Mori