Calibration question

#1gesswhozbakPosted 9/29/2010 7:45:50 AM
Has anybody had any problems with calibrating the game? I am playing on a 37 inch LCD Vizio, and I can't get it calibrated for the life of me. I hope that I don't sound stupid by saying this, but can anybody help me out. I tried manually setting it where you move the dpad as it beeps, and I can't find a difference in the settings.
#2SeifzPosted 9/29/2010 8:15:09 AM
You aren't alone. I spent a good two hours trying to calibrate this game yesterday and I couldn't even get it close. I've never had this much trouble calibrating a plastic guitar game!

When I use the calibration tool, I usually get 45-70 for the video. No matter what I do, the audio is always very late. I need negative audio! Why doesn't GH have this feature? I can increase the video latency to some crazy high number (many hundreds of milliseconds) to get the audio almost right, but it's still off.

I'm using a 40" Samsung LCD. I don't know what else to try. My numbers from previous GH and RB games just don't work.
#3Dredin89Posted 9/29/2010 8:25:36 AM
I had this same problem with my last TV and GH5. It was a 45" Sony LCD. In all my attempts, the only way I could get it close was to not use my stereo for the sound, I had to use the crappy TV speakers, and even then it wasn't great. In researching the problem online, and Sony (I thought maybe it was a problem with the TV) It seems it is caused by the video vs. sound processing delay within the TV itself. Most TV's have a sound delay adjustment to try and align it with video, so you may want to look at that also. I've since replaced that TV now have a Toshiba, and I don't seem to have a problem with that one. Hopefully I don't run into this problem again as it makes these game completely unplayable.
#4SeifzPosted 9/29/2010 8:30:36 AM
Thing is, I had no trouble playing any of Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero 2, Guitar Hero: Rock the 80s, Guitar Hero 3, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero: Smash Hits, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Guitar Hero: Van Halen, Guitar Hero: Metallica, Rock Band, Rock Band 2, The Beatles: Rock Band, Green Day: Rock Band... Only this new game is giving me trouble. My TV and speaker set work fine for every other game!

I mean, it's off by a lot. It's not even close.
#5Dredin89Posted 9/29/2010 8:58:25 AM
These are only suggestions based of my past experience. I assume you have your XBOX hooked up by a HDMI cable? If so have you tried dropping your XBOX output to 720P or 480p instead of 1080P. Also you may want to try hooking the xbox by the componant video cable instead of the HDMI.
#6gesswhozbak(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2010 9:21:52 AM
Well this sucks, but atleast I know I'm not alone. Could it possibly be because I'm running my audio through a Vizio soundbar? Kinda frustrating..
#7SpacemanHardyPosted 9/29/2010 9:22:15 AM
Trial and error, man. It's nothing more than trial and error. Just keep putting in random values, running the test song, and hope that you eventually get it right.

When I first bought the game, I spent a good 30 minutes trying to properly calibrate the lag for the game so I could play it on my 42" LG 720p plasma. Eventually, I found that the correct numbers were 10 ms for video and 70 ms for audio (or it might have been the other way around, I can't remember). After that, it's been playing wonderfully for me.

Also, in my experience, it seems easier to calibrate using the drums instead of the guitar. That may just be me, though.

---
Here. Have a Krogan Sandwich.
http://krogansandwich.ytmnd.com/
#8SeifzPosted 9/29/2010 9:37:49 AM
These are only suggestions based of my past experience. I assume you have your XBOX hooked up by a HDMI cable? If so have you tried dropping your XBOX output to 720P or 480p instead of 1080P. Also you may want to try hooking the xbox by the componant video cable instead of the HDMI.

I shouldn't have to degrade my system to play a game. It's playing in 720P, anyway. The problem isn't the video (that syncs up easily), but the audio. It's off by almost a full second. That's insane. No other GH or RB game has ever caused this problem with the same TV and speakers, and I've played them all.

Trial and error, man. It's nothing more than trial and error. Just keep putting in random values, running the test song, and hope that you eventually get it right.

I tried that for more than two hours. The test song is horrible for calibration. It's set to Easy, so the notes don't line up with the audio anyway. Plus, it's a heavily-distorted metal song so it's hard to tell what's happening anyway. Horrible choice!

Anyway, I tried the random value thing for more than two hours with no luck. The audio is just too far off. Settings from other GH and RB games don't work, either. :(
#9gesswhozbak(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2010 8:41:53 AM
I would love to see some settings that people are playing on..mine still isn't calibrated and its basically unplayable. I wonder if there is a list somewhere like when you are programing a remote for your tv. Only it would have the MS listed..or whatever
#10SeifzPosted 10/1/2010 10:56:36 AM
There's a list in most of the Rock Band manuals that gives suggestions for LCD, plasma, DLP, etc. Those values work perfectly for Rock Band, but they fail miserably for GH:WoR (for me, anyway). I don't know of any other lists.

I'm starting to think that the game is just broken. It's the only plastic guitar game out of the bunch that doesn't work right on my TV and speakers. GH5, which supposedly uses the same engine, works just fine. I'm out of ideas.