Will Gamestop repair the ring scratch on my Gears disc? please help :(

#1fpS_pWn3rPosted 9/30/2011 1:45:54 AM
So I put in my Gears 3 disc today only to find that although the game starts up well and everything, when I try to play any mode, be it the campaign, VS, Horde, etc., I am unable to actually play the game due to the perfect circle scratch I discovered on the disc. I am not too sure as to how my disc even got this in the first place as I did not move my box at all (if someone could answer that riddle for me it would be a big help so that I don't repeat my mistake). My question is, will my local Gamestop (or any company/retailer for that matter) be able to fix the scratch? Is there any way I could just do it myself, although I don't have access to a buffer or the brasso material used for buffing?
---
|No Smoking Zone| >.<c-~
#2XShadowStrike99Posted 9/30/2011 1:48:26 AM
your disc drive most likely did that.

i'd go and return it to Gamestop since it doesn't work. they'll give you a new copy.
---
We've put the world up onto a dead throne.
#3projectpat72988Posted 9/30/2011 1:53:49 AM
If you cant get a new one. Do you have a Family Video or any video rental place near you? Once I ruined one of my discs and I brought it into FV and they have this insanely heavy duty disc buffer that costs about 5k as well as the fluid they use being insanely expensive. But the thing worked like a charm and fixed it. I would call around...they charged me like 2 dollars.
#4ssjmatthewPosted 9/30/2011 1:56:56 AM
They wont accept it and give you a new one, ive seen lots of people come into my GS with games that were scratched from a faulty xbox and they always turn them away telling them they need a new xbox

The only way you could get a new one is if you purchased the warranty. They may clean it though, but the ring wont disappear, its scratched in.
---
There's something you might not know about me joe rogan.......I smoke rocks!
#5fpS_pWn3r(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2011 2:00:15 AM
well i've seen disc scratches like this fixed on youtube I was just wondering if Gamestop offered the service .... and why do none of my other games have scratches on them since my disk drive is supposedly faulty?
---
|No Smoking Zone| >.<c-~
#6projectpat72988Posted 9/30/2011 2:08:50 AM
Are you talking about the VERY fine circle "scratch" that all xboxes seem to leave? That shouldnt be enough to ruin it. You sure you didnt accidentally move your xbox while it was on?
#7fpS_pWn3r(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2011 2:14:12 AM
well....... I very carefully and slowly , and I mean VERY carefully and slowly slid it (not lifting it only sliding) oh so slightly to the side to give the AC cable some space. I've done this before without any incident, and I honestly only moved it about 1/2 inch over (maybe less). I guess this is what caused it but that kind of scares me that even the slightest of movements would cause something like this. Also, does anyone have any experience with getting their discs repaired at Blockbuster, which I heard is an effective repair retailer.
---
|No Smoking Zone| >.<c-~
#8fpS_pWn3r(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2011 2:14:57 AM
And yes, it is a light circle around the edge of the disc. It doesn't look too deep at all.
---
|No Smoking Zone| >.<c-~
#9ssjmatthewPosted 9/30/2011 2:16:41 AM
That'll do it

Dont move your xbox even slightly while its running
---
There's something you might not know about me joe rogan.......I smoke rocks!
#10Ext_MePosted 9/30/2011 2:41:51 AM
No, the perfect circle scratch is something that normally happens by user fault, when your Xbox is moved while the disk is spinning. Not to say that's what you did, but they will normally peg it on you for that.

You can take it to a movie rental store and ask them to resurface it (They keep machines somewhere behind a counter. Just ask nicely, they might do it for you.) or borrow it from your mate and install it to hard drive and continue using your current disk.
---
I like to argue and I type a lot.
I'm not mad, I just want to get my point across.