Combat Engineer; doing it right (also insta-gib/super reload, also spoilers)

#1CirrusStrafePosted 9/24/2011 11:33:05 PM
So there's been a whole lot of confusion about how to get combat engineer for that lovely infinite ammo mutator (presumably so people can cakewalk through Arcade Insane and Insane Horde mode).

Here's my method for getting it, and I got it in about six hours (not counting the few hours of farming for the other pieces of this puzzle or the time figuring this out, of course).

First, grab the mutators for insta-gib and super active reload.

For insta-gib (200 kills as the Wretch), just play Beast mode on Checkout on casual. Only ever use wretches. As long as you never go past wave 5 (just kill down to one guy and wait out the timer) you should be able to get your 200 kills really fast. If you need help doing this, just invite a buddy in and double Wretch power. Two Wretches is really hard to stomp out because one shriek can shut down 5 guys, and the other Wretch can just murder them all, and you can sort of pingpong shrieks etc.

If you're good with the Wretch then you will always generate way more money than lose it. I had about $105k before finishing, then went Zerker spam for the rest of the waves.

For super active reload, set up a versus private game on Mercy, Capture the Leader, 60 second cap time, 15 rounds, Casual, and 5 second bleed-out. Pick your favorite guns to go with and just slaughter bots left and right. There are really only two spawns for CtL on Mercy (far left and right of the church) so you can basically get 4 kills ever 15 seconds. I averaged about 12 kills per minute doing this, and got it in roughly two hours.

Finally, once you have those two mutators, set up a guest (or play with a buddy) go start up Horde, casual, wave 10, on Checkout.

Buy the first base you are near. Now, if you are extremely lucky you will get regular Berserkers or Reavers. For Reavers, just fire your lancer clip out, perfect reload, and you can take down all 6 in a single clip after that (perfect reloads with super reload will literally 1-2 shot everything in the game that isn't a zerker or a Brumak). For Zerkers, just melee them. Yep, insta-gib works on regular zerkers. Not the lambet ones, of course.

Regardless, just do your best per round and let yourself get wiped out at the end (keep a mauler alive, or keep something alive and go buy some grenades and nuke yourself). This is necessary because you can only get Combat Engineer once per 10 waves, unless your entire team dies and you restart that wave. If you do perfectly, you should average about $7k per round. This is why you do the boss wave, because other than the lambent zerker you can kill everything pretty damn fast and safely with insta-gib or perfect reloading.

Now comes the fun part. If this is your first Horde mode, then you will need to start by spam buying the barriers for a bit. Otherwise, if you have turrets unlocked, you have a path to easy street. Once you get turrets unlocked and about $10k, build the one in your base. Now, the super fast and cheap method is to get into the turret, fire a round, get out, reload it, repeat 5x and get your medal. Then go die in the round, preferably without letting your turret get destroyed, and repeat 100x. If you want to level stuff up really fast, then just do your usual kill-all-but-one tactic and buy whatever you want. Doing this thing I like to just let the enemies walk into the back and break everything a bit so I don't have to pay out the arse building stuff from scratch, or upgrades burning my money away.

Oh, and if you die too early, grab your other controller and wreck some stuff. Just remember to pass it to your main guy inbetween rounds (via left trigger and B).

Good luck!
---
One of these days they'll institute a mandatory skill and intelligence test for WoW. Only one server will be necessary after that, and it will be glorious.
#2CirrusStrafe(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2011 11:36:55 PM
Forgot to mention. Super reload comes from getting 100 kills with each starter weapon: Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Gnasher, Sawed-off.
---
One of these days they'll institute a mandatory skill and intelligence test for WoW. Only one server will be necessary after that, and it will be glorious.
#3rincewind1990Posted 9/25/2011 2:25:02 AM
CirrusStrafe posted...
Regardless, just do your best per round and let yourself get wiped out at the end (keep a mauler alive, or keep something alive and go buy some grenades and nuke yourself). This is necessary because you can only get Combat Engineer once per 10 waves, unless your entire team dies and you restart that wave. If you do perfectly, you should average about $7k per round. This is why you do the boss wave, because other than the lambent zerker you can kill everything pretty damn fast and safely with insta-gib or perfect reloading.

Thanks for these tips but i was wondering if you could explain this bit more? Why do you have to kill yourself?
#4Ih8uguysPosted 9/25/2011 2:44:06 AM(edited)
You can't get the combat engineer ribbon again unless you either die, or 10 waves pass. failing the wave but still gaining more money than you lost lets you repair enough to get the ribbon every restart. You don't have to kill yourself though as long as you die and restart.
---
I'm not your buddy, guy.
#5CirrusStrafe(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2011 3:39:13 AM
Rincewind, basically you can only get Combat Engineer once per set of ten waves (1-10, 11-20 etc) UNLESS you restart the wave. Restarting the wave requires you to all die, so the trick is to get Combat Engineer (5 builds/repairs/upgrades in a single deployment time), then have everyone die, restart from your current wave, then get Combat Engineer again, over and over.
---
#6xfactorhatesuPosted 9/25/2011 3:55:48 AM
Just have a second controller, start on wave 45ish insane, give money to first player (profile player) get your post (1) and buy four of the $500 wires (Dockyard was best for this). Thats 5 for the ribbon and you get the founder ribbon at the same time. When the wave starts, die, start from beginning, rinse/repeat. Much faster, took 2.5ish hours to do it this way.
---
http://www.iberiansninjagaiden.com/, this is my Bible...
Learn it well.
#7rincewind1990Posted 9/25/2011 4:47:34 AM
Thanks it makes sense to me now
#8Chykka_BlackPosted 9/25/2011 6:05:28 AM
Extremely helpful. Possibly sticky worthy
---
Pokemon White FC: 4427-3698-5253 Izzi
3DS FC 4081-5675-7223
#9thenight29Posted 9/25/2011 6:12:06 AM
For theinsta-gib one is there a way for me to see how many kills i have with it?
---
White FC is 1463-8767-6621
#10rincewind1990Posted 9/25/2011 2:23:43 PM
thenight29 posted...
For theinsta-gib one is there a way for me to see how many kills i have with it?

Go to the status menu and then to the unlockables. select mutators from the list and you can see how many you have got.