a bit confused

#1jak3099Posted 5/31/2011 9:13:35 AM

i was under the impression that the races/classes are linked, i.e., only dunedain can be mages; only dwarves can be warrior class.

can anyone confirm or not? :)

#2jak3099(Topic Creator)Posted 5/31/2011 9:15:47 AM

oops i mean only elves can be mages!

#3kangaoxPosted 6/3/2011 7:17:59 PM

Yup i believe its to fit into the lore of Middle-earth! The human is no lowly man, he is a Dunedain, so he sure to kick some ass!

I hoping the elf doesnt use too much 'fantasy magic' LOTR doesnt have magic on the scale the mages were shown to have in LOTR: Conquest! Gandalfsays in Fellowship (Book)"I cannot burn snow, I must have something to work with"

So yeah the classes are race based to fit to lore of the books. And even films, which might increase a few things NOT in the books!

But this is shaping up more and more to be a contender for MY Game of the Year!

#4jak3099(Topic Creator)Posted 6/3/2011 7:58:54 PM

i'm really looking forward to this one! i finished reading the tolkien bestiary... i never knew there was another continent besides middle-earth! hahaha, i can't wait to see which characters that were absent from the movies will show up.

i read that you get to meet radagast the brown :)

#5kangaoxPosted 6/3/2011 9:29:01 PM

Yeah its awesome they can use content from the books as well as the movies! That was the problem with EA's The Third Age. Brilliant game, it was just bound to the movies. Tho they did get away with Morwen and Idrial as names.

best bestery out there mate is J.E.A Tyler's The Complete Tolkien Companion! Its over 700 pages. And it is one amazing book! has ever thing you need to know, only thing it wont have it in is the few new touches to The Children of Hurin! I have one of David Day's ilistrated Guideas well but Tylers is far more detailed. There isnt pics in Tyler's but a few battle maps!

I got it 8-10 years ago and it is amazing and mind blowing someone put all that content together!

here is a link mate.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tolkien-Companion-Totally-Revised/dp/0312339127/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307164613&sr=8-1

#6SRTtoZPosted 6/10/2011 9:19:36 AM

I really hope this turns out good because one thing we've never had is a good LOTR RPG.

#7Melko BelchaPosted 6/10/2011 11:31:07 AM
Stay away from anything written by David Day, he is well known for just making stuff up. I had one of his books once and 60% of it never appeared in anything written by Tolkien. David Day is just published fan fiction.
---
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die.
#8kangaoxPosted 6/14/2011 8:39:51 AM

Melko Belcha posted...
Stay away from anything written by David Day, he is well known for just making stuff up. I had one of his books once and 60% of it never appeared in anything written by Tolkien. David Day is just published fan fiction.
---
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die.

Agreed. Day's was the 1st one I found when I was 17, mainly got it for the concept art (as ugly and off as it was)! Got Tylers's about 3 years after that, around 02-03. Much better source/lore book. Tyler's boarders on a masterpiece! Love the review on the back of my book "Equal to the works of the dwarvesin the mines of Moria" The only thing that wont be in his new edition will be the few tweeks to Children of Hurin which wouldnt be enough to make any of the info on that wrong. I believe Tyler helped Tolkien's son with that edit! If that isnt Credit enough to get his book!