About the Lighting/Shadowing/Normal Mapping

#1Infinity8378Posted 4/2/2010 2:57:42 PM
In the pic with the explosion the beam doesn't change shading shadowing so there's a shadow next to the blast. Does this mean that the conduit is no checking For sources of Luminance in the RBY color values on the screen?

Do you think the engine does fine details well enough?
#2SupahShnipaPosted 4/2/2010 3:09:42 PM
Pre-Alpha

The game isn't close to being finished yet.

---
MWR Screen Name - Pur1fy
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupahShnipa
#3Dark_GaiaPosted 4/2/2010 4:17:31 PM
I don't think it handles fine details very well. Everything at a distance looks weird and messy until they get closer.

That said, yeah, it's pre-alpha and it already looks about on par with the first game in its finished stage.
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/2/2010 6:24:27 PM
First off, we know the shadows suck and they will probably stay that way. The Conduit did not use shader based or even projected shadows. It had angular stencil shadows that took the curve of the ground you were on.
I'd love to see some proper shader-based shadows. Stencil shadows can look amazing, like in F.E.A.R and Quake 4, but the problem is, this game is much, much to bright for full contrast shadows, and transparent stencils layer terribly, don't cast accurately, and can be hard to manipulate in real-time.
Sadly, this game is shader intensive, so shader-based shadowmapping is likely not going to happen, even with a really really close Ddist.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#5Metal_In_FlamesPosted 4/2/2010 6:26:40 PM
^It was confirmed that shadows will improve a lot.
---
\(_o)/
#6The_ShaderPosted 4/2/2010 6:34:57 PM
yes, shadows WILL improve, and the Quantum 3 has gotten better since Tcon dude. And theyes did say pre-alpha.

...... btw.... shader... shader shader.... shading xD

.... sh-shader XD
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
The Conduit= 5113-1194-6759 Name= Shader
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/2/2010 6:36:56 PM
Oh thank gawd. I can't wait. :D

Hopefully it's at least as good as Twilight Princess.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#8The_ShaderPosted 4/2/2010 7:23:01 PM
i dont remember ever seeing any shadows in any game that made me go
"WOAH ..... THOSE ARE ****ING AWESOME SHADOWS!!!"

....... honestly? ... big woop if they suck.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
The Conduit= 5113-1194-6759 Name= Shader
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/2/2010 7:51:46 PM
You didn't play FEAR or Doom 3 or Quake 4 or any Unreal Engine 3 games or very many good "next-gen" console games, I guess?
---
#10nintendomaniacPosted 4/3/2010 12:10:59 AM
Technically the Wii can't do shader-based shadows since its GPU doesn't have pixel and/or vertex shaders...

HOWEVER

That's only a technicality, since the Wii has a TEV unit. Back when the GCN (has a TEV unit) and Xbox (uses pixel shaders) came out, pixel shaders and TEV units were essentially 2 different means to an end - sort of like polygons VS voxels, or rasterization VS raytracing.
---
Wii Code: 8374-5612-2233-9267