Customizable upgrades can be fun...but...

#1Valdimir_DregaPosted 4/5/2010 11:50:15 AM
If they are included, none of them should upgrade weapon damage,armor piercing, stopping power accuracy, or rates of fire. The most I will compromise for in that area is slight increases in stability via attachments (like foregrips), moderate increases in ammo-carrying capacity, and slight increases in reload speed.

In addition, upgrades shouldn't include increases in player health. The most I'll compromise for in this area are armor loadouts that decrease mobility and allow for less attachments and upgrades. Even then, varied armor loadouts need to be distinctive and recognizable from mid-range.

If I have a light armor loadout, I want to be able to identify a heavy loadout so I can plan my attack strategy accordingly. Assuming, of course, that something like this is included in the final game.

Instead, I suggest that upgrades be unique. I like the idea of a "Robotic Legs" upgrade. Jumping longer distances and sprinting longer isn't really going to affect the outcome of a gunfight all that much. An increased shot detection upgrade would also be a good one.

Other bonuses could include gadgets like X-Ray or Infrared visors, jammers for said visors, a map display on your HUD radar instead of the classic motion sensor from the first game; maybe even a cloaking device that only works while standing still, and a jammer for that too. You all get the idea.

And don't forget about the inclusion of a classic mode, for those who don't necessarily want to have the customizable load-outs to deal with. The only alteration I would make to something like that is the ability to carry 3 weapons instead of 2...

Anyone else agree with me or have any suggestions to add?
---
Check out High Voltage Software's new project, "The Grinder." Coming Halloween 2011 to Wii, 360, PS3, and PC
#2TehKrimboElfPosted 4/5/2010 11:52:59 AM
I kinda agree, but I have a question about your sig. Where did you get that info, your ass?
---
"If it was a matter of life or death I would definately punch a naked girl in the face." - carr_mig
#3UltimateFlame13Posted 4/5/2010 11:59:19 AM
I agree for the most part. I still think they might be able to balance in small boosts to power, health, fire rate, etc. by making it so if you choose one of those you forfeit your second upgrade choice.
---
Everything I've learned about life can be summed up into three words: It goes on -Robert Frost
Playing: Golden Sun TLA, Borderlands, MW2, Civ IV
#4Valdimir_Drega(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2010 12:08:51 PM
@TehKrimboElf

Unless HVS has officially announced otherwise, that's what is happening. There's a trailer that released in December with Halloween 2011 as the release date. Sure they had an odd showing at GDC for the 360 version, but that doesn't mean that the other platforms are going to be Top-Down Shooters (especially the Wii). The way I see it, HVS figured that they didn't want to try and compete with L4D after the multiplatform decision, so they decided to make it a full blown sequel to Hunter: The Reckoning's gameplay style.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, unless you can provide a link to correct me.
---
Check out High Voltage Software's new project, "The Grinder." Coming Halloween 2011 to Wii, 360, PS3, and PC
#5The_ShaderPosted 4/5/2010 12:16:56 PM
Grinder Wii is a FPS. HVS released this information recently.

Also, your ideas revolve around CoD perks too much.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
The Conduit= 5113-1194-6759 Name= Shader
#6entertheyetrixPosted 4/5/2010 1:20:26 PM
The "..but..." in the title means he doesn't want them to be like perks
---
... you can't kill me, because I'm already inside of you
#7UltimateFlame13Posted 4/5/2010 1:23:05 PM

Grinder Wii is a FPS. HVS released this information recently.

Also, your ideas revolve around CoD perks too much.

actually most of what he said is against what is in CoD games. He doesn't want upgrades to give bonuses like stopping power, double tap, juggernaut, etc. do in CoD.
---
Everything I've learned about life can be summed up into three words: It goes on -Robert Frost
Playing: Golden Sun TLA, Borderlands, MW2, Civ IV
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/5/2010 1:33:46 PM
They still revolve around CoD perks.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#9Valdimir_Drega(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2010 3:43:53 PM
Actually the ones I suggested that resemble those on CoD were inspired more by MAG.

I don't play either of the MW games anymore. I play MAG all the time. The others were based more on Perfect Dark.
---
Check out High Voltage Software's new project, "The Grinder." Coming Haloween 2011 to Wii, 360, PS3, and PC