What a surprise, I thought the first game sold horribly...?

#1TicTakiPosted 4/9/2010 11:20:28 AM
IIRC, the first game sold a lot less than what HVS had hoped for... why is a sequel in place? Just asking for a business viewpoint. Online in the first game was fun when it actually worked.
---
Feelin' like a criminal...
#2HVSTony(VIP)Posted 4/9/2010 11:23:32 AM
For a game with the team size and budget, it did VERY well.

-Tony
#3TicTaki(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2010 11:24:19 AM
Oh okay, my figures were off. That's good to know.
---
#4psychobrewPosted 4/9/2010 2:51:27 PM

HVSTony posted...
For a game with the team size and budget, it did VERY well.

-Tony

Can you say if the team size and budget were increased in the sequel?

#5TicTaki(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2010 3:15:22 PM
---
#6CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/15/2010 4:25:18 PM
I don't think he can say.

I'm going to assume yes though.
But regardless of weather there is or is not, with Con2, HVS will be able to build off the work already done on Tcon. And probably even work on advancements in the engine done in the development for The Grinder.

MUCH of the work done in TCON was probably stuff like building the engine.
Making the engine SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are a bunch of things you have to make the first time around that you don't on the second.
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/15/2010 4:36:02 PM
What are you talking about? Making the engine is the fun part! Copypasting datatables and writing out long strings of code for a predicted response sucks. Experimenting with physics, graphics, and game mechanics is always the fun part, and that's what making the engine is all about!

But yeah, UT3 took something like 4-5 years to build, not because of the amazing(ly small) amount of content, but because they were building what would become the standard for "next generation" game engines.
HVS more or less has the engine, and they've done a lot to boost it's capability, even right after The Conduit was pressed and shipped they announced some impressive new features in the engine for Grinder.
Conduit 2 is more about playing with the actual game mechanics, and multiplayer components, and pushing the tech that they already made.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#8TicTaki(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2010 7:20:09 PM
^
Where on here do I recognize your username from? A Metroid game board perhaps?
---
#9InfiniterranPosted 4/19/2010 5:43:32 AM
For a game with that many glitches, errors, poor development, and overall horrible quality, it did reasonable.
---
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=9515287
I want one of these
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/19/2010 4:17:52 PM
Where on here do I recognize your username from? A Metroid game board perhaps?

Probably. I managed to get an entire Metroid forum on my ass for saying that any game that requires lock-on to win has ****ty controls.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.