Why Shooters are Better on Wii

#1BlitzkriegOSUPosted 4/12/2010 4:34:12 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/108/1083154p1.html

I haven't read it yet, so I can't say if it's good. Just saw it, so I thought I'd post it ASAP.
---
my only regret... is that I have.. bone-itis.
I'm with Coco
#2UltimateFlame13Posted 4/12/2010 4:35:08 PM
cool, thanks for posting
---
Everything I've learned about life can be summed up into three words: It goes on -Robert Frost
Playing: Golden Sun TLA, Borderlands, MW2, Civ IV
#3BlitzkriegOSU(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2010 4:59:54 PM
This article isn't so much about the Wii as a system, but more about how environments can get prettier, guns can get flashier, and animations can get fancier, but the fundamentals of the dual analog FPS have his a wall, and no new FPS will be fundamentally different (or better) than your average, say, Halos or Call of Duties.

Motion controls truly are on the horizon as the recognizably superior input system for FPS, with PSMove on the way, fitting SOCOM 4 with the same "bounding box" aiming system. With its offers of immersion, pinpoint accuracy, and suspense, the Wii FPS dusts off and bandages the genre that's being beat to death on other systems.

Your thoughts? Has dual analog become such a staple, a standard? Or is IR aiming coming to town to steamroll the competition?
---
I'm with Coco
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/12/2010 5:02:46 PM
I think IR is already slowly steamrolling the competition. It has been for years now. Almost everyone admits that, while games look prettier on other consoles, Metroid Prime 3, and after that, MoHH2, and then The Conduit all controlled much better.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#5stufa1978Posted 4/12/2010 5:10:45 PM
It confirms the delight of using the Wiimote for FPS games.

I do have to say playing a 4 player split screen FPS on Wii is damn good fun. Aim at your former friend's head as he's shooting you isn't as easy as on the ol' pads.

There ain't many shooters like that on Wii though. Aside from 007QoS. Con2 will be the only other all in one FPS on Wii. By that I mean multiplayer on and offline (the two player vs FPS don't count).
---
Leave luck to Heaven.
#6The_ShaderPosted 4/12/2010 5:15:18 PM
Read the article twice. very good read.

The Wii truly is something that came before its time, because everyone seemed so unready to move beyond dual analog.

As for Mouse & Keyboard users, the sensation of BEING the person in the game is lost. Wiimote controls makes you focus and still your body in order for aiming. Your hand is resting on a mouse, so its constantly static, thus loosing what the wiimote offers.

The dude hit the nail, have gestures to empty the clip, check the new, then slamming the clip in, then a gesture to load the barrel WOULD BE ****ING AWESOME!

definitely adding in a sense of worth for each of your bullets. Thanks for this topic dude, i probably would have passed up the article.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
The Conduit= 5113-1194-6759 Name= Shader
#7JarinmackPosted 4/12/2010 5:18:40 PM
Yes, good article indeed.
---
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: CASAKI
MWR: M|Beasty. My gold guns: Uzi, Ak, M10, M60.
#8BlitzkriegOSU(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2010 5:19:57 PM

Aside from 007QoS...

I'm not going to mince words, here. That game was awful. It looked bad, the framerate was abysmal, and seemed obscenely unfinished. However! It has 4-player local multiplayer, and that is a big redeeming quality in my eyes. My favorite thing about a first-person shooter is the local play (which is why I won't play MW2 unless my roommates are home, well, that, and it's bull**** 80% of the time). My second favorite thing about the genre is now IR aiming. It feels.... right.

Put those two together, add in a good story mode, online features, and the right amount of polish, and I think you have the first person shooter I won't be able to put down. I just look forward to judging whether or not that shooter is called Conduit 2.
---
I'm with Coco
#9stufa1978Posted 4/12/2010 5:29:24 PM
Nicely put Mr Blitz.

I know QoS isn't perfect. But still it did offer some good game sessions for me and me chums.
There's only really Red Steel 1 that does 4 player SS as a seperate game.

But super Monkey Ball BB does have a surprisingly good FPS mini game in it. If that was tweaked to a full game and online, it would be a surprise hit.
ThrillVille has a cool FPS adition too.

I know I'm a casual gamer, but I'm easier to please.
---
Leave luck to Heaven.
#10IMA1337_FearMePosted 4/12/2010 5:37:20 PM
sweet find. i have to agree, wii always gets good reloading/swapping animations
---
double kill!!! (think what you want)