Why Shooters are Better on Wii

#31DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/14/2010 12:38:04 AM
It does, actually. It clearly states how satisfying games on the system that are already out can be, and why.
And The Conduit offers some pretty damn good controls. Not perfect, but still miles ahead of anything else on a console, still more natural and intuitive than a mouse, still making progress now where no other console has.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#32The_ShaderPosted 4/14/2010 3:18:05 AM
^ he said it better then i probably ever could.
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
The Conduit= 5113-1194-6759 Name= Shader
#33stufa1978Posted 4/14/2010 3:40:39 AM
See there again.

Do people want have more of a feel of the game or a convenient control method?

The legendary mouse and keybord, vs the Wiimote. Yes the mouse and co are more convenient.
But the Wiimote does make you feel more like you are the character. That's what I want so Wiimote wins for me.

I look at it this way. I do a fair bit of paintballing. Playing the Wii's FPS is a good substitute when I'm not in the field. The pad and mouse thing are not.

The DS's touch screen is actually very good for FPS too.
---
Nintendo translates as Leave luck to Heaven.
#34DaLaggaPosted 4/14/2010 4:23:25 AM
"It does, actually. It clearly states how satisfying games on the system that are already out can be, and why.
And The Conduit offers some pretty damn good controls. Not perfect, but still miles ahead of anything else on a console, still more natural and intuitive than a mouse, still making progress now where no other console has."

The article offers up relatively few instances of innovation in games that are already out. Again, it really just talks mostly about future potential. Moreoever, games like TCon and Red Steel are quite terrible as far as games go. Almost everyone, even the guy writing the article, seem to agree on that point. Even Red Steel 2 is very weak as a game. There just isn't enough innovation, developer skill, and hardware functionality to make any current Wii FPS very good. Once again I'll point out that the Power Glove may have been innovative, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a crappy gimmick.

And most of the functions that the article talks about don't even create a believable experience. For example, how is snapping your left wrist to reload realistic or immersive? You're still just using a controller in a manner that is completely contrary to the motions you'd be going through to perform similar actions in real life:whether it's randomly flailing your arms about with a Wii remote in hand or pressing buttons does not matter. If anything, Natal really offers a glimpse at the future of motion control gaming, but is so far from being a mature technology that it will be a very long time indeed before it can replace other control methods. Imagine if instead of going through random motions and flailing about you were actually holding an invisible gun and going through the proper motions in order to eject a clip and slide a new one into place?

"The legendary mouse and keybord, vs the Wiimote. Yes the mouse and co are more convenient.
But the Wiimote does make you feel more like you are the character. That's what I want so Wiimote wins for me."

But how does flicking my wrist to open a door make me feel more like I'm the character? How does thrusting the Wii remote forward to zoom in make me feel like I'm looking through a scope? How does half snapping my wrist make me feel like I'm really swinging a sword? The fact is, the motions that you use to execute actions with a Wii remote are so completely detached from the motions that you'd actually go through to perform those actions in real life that you may as well just have them bound to a button. The technology just isn't there yet for motion controls to really allow for any kind of breakthrough innovation that connects the player to the in-game environment. I would much rather more in depth, complex, and innovative games than simplified dumbed down games with gimmicky controls that fail to add any real sense of realism or immersion.
#35stufa1978Posted 4/14/2010 4:49:06 AM
Like you say Mr Lagga.

We are not there yet. I also said the Wii's FPS are much closer to my paintballing than playing say MW2 on 360 (a fine game though).

The analysis of the simplicity of the Wiimote is true. It is just a little movement here and there.
But still it feels much more fun than just twiddling your thumbs.

That is precisely why the Wii does sell well. Ok you could play Wii golf by just flicking you pad. But it's much more fun swinging the thing. It's not quite virtual golf course. But it's close enough to appeal to my golf loving family and friends.

So too with Wii FPS (just controls anyway). You might not see how the controls can be appealing. But many Wiifans do. That is why even Conduit has a following.

Until any company does it better. Motion controls on Wii do it for me.
---
Nintendo translates as Leave luck to Heaven.