Diego Stocco

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/14/2010 3:07:32 PM
This is a topic about Music.

And I'm going to start it by talking about this awesome guy who I just recently started finding more about.
His name is Diego Stocco, and he composed the music for Tcon.
http://diegostocco.com/

I already liked the music for Tcon, but I didn't really know anything about the guy who was making it.
I am glad I found out more.
Check out some of his videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY-ZoVMwGKM
I'm pretty sure I recognize some of those sounds in Tcon.

http://vimeo.com/1747614
And what he is doing here is pretty incredible.

Anyway, So I really enjoy his Skunkwerk approach to music. And that is really what motivated me to make this topic.

We have topics where people are expressing all sorts of ideas, but ideas and impression regarding the music are few and far between.
After seeing some of this guys stuff, I'd like to explore the ideas and possibilities for music in later games.
So that means I want everyone who has ideas for music in Con2 to express them here.
#2CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2010 3:08:09 PM
I myself have not listened extensively to the Tcon soundtrack, so I don't have any real specific, in depth ideas or feedback. But I do have a few things to say.
I must apologies in advanced for my ignorance. I have zero musical knowledge, so i don't know much terminology, and some of the things I say may just be common sense, so here goes.

I think Tcon’s Sound track was great, but there was only one problem. It was forgetable.
For instance… Well, I’m used to people brining up and discussion music at some point when talking about games. W/ Tcon the discussion about the music was pretty much “The music is pretty good” but never went more in depth than that.

People don’t really talk about what was their favorite song, or what songs should return in Con2, or anything like that. And the problem is, the music is forgetable.
So I’m going to focus on some ideas to help the players remember the music.

I had a huge write up explaining a bunch of details and reasoning…
But then I realized I could say the same thing in just a few short words.

More Theme, less ambience.

Kinda tying in with that is phrases that repeat throught the soundtrack that represent different characters, or places. Motifs almost I guess. Tcon soundtrack has a little of that… but not enough. By having these phrases repeat thoughout the game, in meaningful places, the players begin to associate them with the music. A good example is Metroid Prime, and the space pirates theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdebQ-y15Dg

Now, this song was able to gain such meaning, enough that I’m pretty sure that anyone who beat Metroid Prime will experience a rise in heart rate within the first two notes.

My whole theory with the music is… The players don’t think about it normally. It just changes and happens, and the player doesn’t have anything to do with it.
Even though music is such a fundamental part of creating that feel, the player is still quite detached from it.

I think by creating associations with things they Do have to interact with. Bosses, Enemy’s, even levels and puzzles, I feel the player becomes much less detached.

And that is how I believe Themes work in video games, and how they create depth and meaning.

Only problem with these ideas is…
I’m betting the music is already pretty far along, Going back and reworking the music may not be possible at this point.

So I offer another idea, A feature that I think would help people be more involved with the music.

I think Music should be unlockable.
First off, If a player is to unlock a song, they are more likely to just stop and listen to it.
Especially if it becomes unlocked upon returning to the menu, when they had the time to do so,
If a player was able to choose between 2 or 3 different Menu, well… Now you’re involving the player in some decision making. Now they have to THINK about which song they want to play.

I’m not just thinking menu’s though. Multiplayer levels are perfect for it as well.
Because with level, People have their favorite. And when its something they care about, they are going to care about what song or songs play as well.
I’m thinking for the multiplayer levels… Aside from just offering original songs for multiplayer, if people were able to unlock songs from multiplayer, I think that would be a very good idea too.

Now people have the opportunity to go back and think what all the songs were they heard in single player…
Maybe they’ll be able to think of a specific song in mind they want to learn to unlock.

Anyway, That’s all the ideas I have for music or sound ATM.
I look forward to hearing what ideas other people are able to come up with.
#3The_ShaderPosted 4/14/2010 5:07:52 PM
Yes, Conduit 2 needs a unlock music part in it. Maybe even play some of these songs in multiplayer.

Although The Conduit didn't have that many 'WOW' songs, they all pertain to a certain type a theme. More 'apparent' theme music would be nice and help set the Conduit apart from other shooter series. Like a specific song for 'Drudge' or 'Trust' and the songs make reappearances, with a slightly different sound to them.

As for favorite Conduit songs....
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEDqeNv_VE
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_9YgOV9nyo

This one got me really pumped up for going on shooting sprees. its sounds better in-game though, all of these do.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ayAsHTI1Q
---
Sparkster returns after 16 years in..... "Rocket Knight"
The Conduit= 5113-1194-6759 Name= Shader
#4CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2010 7:42:33 PM
your last link doesn't work.

And yes, I know there is a certain theme to all the Tcon songs.
But i think it needs more of it.
#5The_ShaderPosted 4/14/2010 7:50:28 PM
****.... i'm using Wii-net so things like links are a pain in the ass to manage.

Try this...
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ayAsHTJI1Q
Fix'd
---
#6BlitzkriegOSUPosted 4/14/2010 8:07:26 PM
I was in love with the menu music from Conduit 1. If they were to remix it for C2, or put some nuances in C2's score here and there, it would give the music a real sense of continuity, I think.
---
my only regret... is that I have.. bone-itis.
I'm with Coco
#7BlitzkriegOSUPosted 4/19/2010 7:59:49 PM
Good topic deserves bump.
---
my only regret... is that I have.. bone-itis.
I'm with Coco
#8Valdimir_DregaPosted 4/19/2010 8:48:02 PM
I think I can shed some light onto the subject of why C1's soundtrack was "forgetable." I have the entire soundtrack on my computer, taken straight from the game note for note. SFX and Voices were turned off, etc. Those tracks that are posted on youtube are composed of many individual tracks from gameplay placed over eachother and put into a musically building sequence. When the tracks are organized in this way it makes all of them far from "forgetable", as a matter of fact they're quite memorable.

In gameplay, however, the individual tracks weren't organized that way. Instead each mission or chapter has a particular musical theme (a recurring melody, or melodies) that appears multiple times throughout the level with slightly different ambient and percussive accompaniment. Each section of a chapter--usually divided by rooms or doors--follows this pattern with little deviation: ambience, theme, theme (action sequence). It plays the individual parts of the bigger musical picture in a punctuated manner rather than building upon them in a 2-5 minute track (like the youtube tracks posted). That is why the soundtrack seemed so "forgetable" while actually playing the game.

I agree with the TC, in that unlockable tracks are the absolute best way to avoid this in C2. A simple "Sound Test" mode goes a long way in getting players to remember the songs in a game. What would enhance the experience even more is the ability to pick which songs will play during multiplayer modes.

This wouldn't be governed by a vote or anything of that sort. Instead it would be set predetermined by the player in the "Sound Test" mode and then when he/she decides to go online, the songs will play. Each player could listen to their own preferred tracks through their TV without any affects on the other players' chosen tracks. To every person their own, basically. Sounds fair, right?
---
Uncharted 2 Machinima Voice Actor. Currently playing Sully and Lazarevic. Add me on PSN if you want to get involved: Geo_Chronic.
#9The_ShaderPosted 4/19/2010 9:42:25 PM
The Conduit DEFINITELY has a badass theme, but recognizing the theme to specific things like enemies and levels is somewhat hard to notice.

i still love the seamless transition between themes, there should just be some cinematics to go with the transitions.
---
#10CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2010 7:53:26 PM
Topic is on the verge of being locked.

I want to give it one last bump.