One thing that has bothered me about recent FPS's I've played...

#1Aile_WingPosted 4/19/2010 2:57:06 PM
... is that most, if not all, multiplayer maps only use the same type of areas that are in the campaign. I'm not talking about directly taking sections of the campaign, sealing off all of the exits, and PRESTO! instant map. What I'm describing is taking the same scenery from locations in the campaign and building a map around it, and only doing that. The Conduit definitely does this. Pentagon in campaign, Pentagon map; etc. There aren't any off-the-way unrelated-to-the-campaign maps. (If there were some in The Conduit, please forgive me. It's been a while since I've played the campaign, but that's beside the point.) Why is this? Why do developers stick so closely to the locations in the campaign? I've never really understood this. I believe that this incredibly inhibits the amount of atmosphere that can be present in multiplayer maps because developers don't create maps outside of the campaign areas. Maybe they're afraid of being ridiculed. "Space station map when there's no area in the campaign where there's no such area? Please..." Who cares? If it has a great atmosphere and a great layout, that'll be the last thing on people's minds. At least, it should be the last thing on people's minds. If people are complaining about something like THAT, then all I can say is "wow..." But honestly, I would love it if more developers didn't limit themselves in this way.

An example would be like taking the part from Metroid Prime: Hunter's campaign where Samus is traversing a section of the VDO that has been torn and falling apart (I'm not saying rip from MPH's campaign, but this would be something off-the-wall), designing the map with good atmosphere, and putting it in Conduit 2. I would love that. Sure, it's not in the campaign of Conduit 2. (Note: I don't actually know for a fact if there isn't a space station in Conduit 2's campaign, but for the sake of the argument, let's say there isn't.) But, once again, great atmosphere and layouts are all that should matter. At least, it should in my opinion.

TL:DR version: You don't get one. Hah! >:)

So, what are your opinions on this?
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Hebrew 13:3 (NIV)
#2Tony90908Posted 4/19/2010 3:05:36 PM
Something different is always appreciated.
---
TKO Tony
PSN:FrostedFlakes141
#3drummerkid38Posted 4/19/2010 3:23:49 PM
I don't really agree with this, but the devs may think that part of the reason their game sold was due to the atmosphere/setting. So if it's completely different than what people want, they may avoid that map when given the chance. I personally don't apply to this, I would like to see some variety in maps, but there's probably some really picky people out there.

---
Currently Playing: Modern Warfare Reflex
FC: 0363-1767-1144-SlyFox
#4Combo_Breaker1Posted 4/19/2010 3:28:31 PM
Sorry Aile, tl;dr
---
CODMW FC- 3134-6314-9279
#5Kirby_Pwns_AllPosted 4/19/2010 3:31:22 PM
What I'd like is if they took areas from the campaign and added in locations that you couldn't get to in the campaign but could see. For example: the part in homeland where you fight the boss. They should have made a multiplayer map that encompassed that, the surrounding orchards, and the insides of the buildings. That would have lots of atmosphere, and good cover, as well as giving players a sense of realism and breadth to the world (which would have been especially good in TCon, considering all the hate on the "corridor shooting"). Oh yeah, and I think the anyone affiliated with the development of Metroid Prime Hunters might have been a little peeved if someone stole something from their game without permission and exorbitant amounts of money (although I get the point). I think that MP maps should be loosely related to campaign, but more "inspired" by campaign levels than copy and pasted with exits blocked off.
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/19/2010 4:10:37 PM
I think the TL:DR version should be "We want more unique totally random just-for-fun multiplayer maps instead of limiting them to being based on the locations in the campaign".
And, I agree. In fact, if HVS has issues with map design taking too long for this, they could hold a contest, where people design maps in, say, one of the Unreal Eds, and they take the design, and port it to The Conduit, provided it's an original map.
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#7Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2010 4:18:53 PM
To drummerkid38: What I'm basically saying is that I think developers are ruling out too many atmospheric settings just because those locations aren't in the game. I suppose that could have been my TL;DR.
---
Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
#8drummerkid38Posted 4/19/2010 4:34:28 PM
^
No, I completely I agree with you. When I said "I don't really agree with this" I was talking about my own statement. :D
---
Currently Playing: Modern Warfare Reflex
FC: 0363-1767-1144-SlyFox
#9Aile_Wing(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2010 4:39:18 PM
Oh, I see. I misunderstood then.
---
#10Prime011Posted 4/19/2010 6:19:27 PM
Where did Bunker come from?I don't remember anymore
But this does sound like a good idea
---
Waiting for: MH3, Metroid: Other M, SMG2, and CON2!!!
Hebrews 11:1